Renowned for its top-notch educational institutions all around the world, the USA is one of the prime locations for higher education. The country offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to the subjects that one can choose to study here. These vast career opportunities bagged with quality education and excellent teaching facilities makes it the most developed nation in the world. When it comes to choosing to study in USA, students often take the fall intake and it cannot be said that spring intake isn’t ideal for you. Through this blog, we’ll shed light on the different aspects of spring intake in USA.
This Blog Includes:
- About Spring Intake in USA
- Spring Intake Universities in USA
- Top 10 Business School for Spring Intake in USA
- Spring Admissions in the USA 2021 Deadline
- Spring Intake in USA 2022 Deadlines
- Which Courses to Apply for Spring Intake in USA?
- Benefits of Spring Intake in USA
- How to Apply for Spring Intake in USA?
- Which Intake to Choose: Fall vs Spring Intake in USA
- Myths about Spring Intake in USA
About Spring Intake in USA
Spring intake in USA is also referred to as the January intake and is the second-preferred intake after the Fall Intake in USA, i.e. September admissions. Let’s take a look at the overview of spring, fall and summer intake in USA 2021:
|Fall Intake [Primary]||September||September to December
(or Early January)
|Spring Intake [Secondary]||January||January to May|
|Summer Intake [Lesser number
|May||May to August|
Spring Intake Universities in USA
There are several American colleges and universities that extend their applications to offer a broad category of courses in various disciplines and sub-disciplines. Here are the major Spring intake universities in USA:
- Harvard University
- Yale University
- University of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- University of Illinois, Chicago
- University of Central Florida
- Washington State University
- University of Dayton
- Pace University
- San Francisco State University
- Nova Southeastern University
- University of Colorado
- Penn State Harrisburg
- Temple University
- San Jose State University
- State University of New York
- Rutgers University
- George Mason University
- University of North Florida
- Marquette University
- University of Memphis
- University of Connecticut
- University of Arkansas
- Eastern Washington University
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Maryland
- Auburn University
- City University of New York
Top 10 Business School for Spring Intake in USA
USA remains the no. 1 choice for pursuing an MBA. If you have missed your fall intake, here is the list of universities for spring intake in USA for MBA:
- Columbia Graduate School of Business
- UMass Boston
- Loyola University Chicago – Quinlan School of Business
- St. John’s – Tobin College of Business
- Barry University
- Bellevue University
- University of South Carolina
- University of Maryland
- Washington School of Business
- Fordham – Gabelli Business School
Spring Admissions in the USA 2021 Deadline
Let’s take a look at the major dates and deadlines for spring admissions in USA for the year 2021:
|Harvard University||January 2021||MBA, UG and Masters|
|Yale University||January 2021||UG, PhD and Masters|
|University of Massachusetts||December 1, 2021||MS only|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||January to February 2021||UG and Masters|
|Columbia University||December 13, 2021 for UG
October 2021 for Masters
|UG and Masters|
|University of Colorado Boulder||February 2021 for UG
September 2021 for Masers
|UG and Masters|
|State University of New York||February 22, 2021 for UG||UG|
|University of Texas at Austin||October 1 for UG
Sep 2021 for Masters
|UG and Masters|
Important Note: These deadlines only indicate major months for the year 2021 and are subject to change. Students are advised to explore the official website of the university as the early admissions, rolling admissions and other timelines for spring intake can differ for each university.
Spring Intake in USA 2022 Deadlines
Students start the preparation and application process a year before the intake season begins to avoid missing any important deadlines. Here are some of the university deadlines for the spring intake in USA 2022:
MS in Computer Science and Software Engineering
|University of Florida||August 30, 2021|
|Oregon State||October 15, 2021|
|Colorado State||November 01, 2021|
|University of South Florida||October 15, 2021|
|Boston University||October 01, 2021|
MS in Engineering Courses
|Cornell University||October 01, 2021|
|University of Southern California||September 15, 2021|
|Arizona State University||August 01, 2021|
|University of Florida||August 30, 2021|
|Texas Tech University||October 01, 2021|
MS in Data Science
|University of Chicago||August 15, 2021|
|University of Connecticut||October 01, 2021|
|University of Illinois at Chicago||July 15, 2021|
|Boston University||November 01, 2021|
|Illinois Institute of Technology||October 01, 2021|
Which Courses to Apply for Spring Intake in USA?
Spring intake in USA is most popular for masters and UG courses although if you want to apply for MS programs, it is better to opt for the fall intake when the top universities accept applications for MS in USA. It is essential that you draft a strong and impressive application if you are applying for the spring intake in the USA especially to prominent universities in USA. Other than masters, you will be able to find a few colleges and universities open for MBA and PhD admissions for spring intake in USA.
Benefits of Spring Intake in USA
While making a career choice, it is important to analyse the pros and cons of your decision. Besides beautiful weather, summer vacation, spring intake in USA offers great benefits. Let us take a look at several advantages:
- The spring intake gives the student extra time to consider their choices and to explore what are the various options available to them after the completion of their previous course.
- It also gives them the much-needed space to revisit their decision, take a buffer period and analyze things in a new light.
- One can also utilize this time to make the necessary preparations that are required in case of relocation for International students. So, you can apply for visa and other mandates in this period.
- Though the number of top universities that offer admissions in the spring intake is less, nevertheless it gives you the opportunity to save a year and get yourself enrolled in an accredited institution.
- The Spring intake offers scholarly students the chance to complete their degree in a lesser time span and hence get ahead towards their goals as compared to others.
- Since the class size is smaller in the Spring intake in USA, the student-teacher ratio provides the scope for class discussion and improved learning.
- The students in the spring intake are grouped together with those in the fall intake exposing them to relatively older and experienced students in the institution. Hence, the opportunity to learn and grow are numerous depending upon the mindset of the candidate.
Also Read: Cost of Studying in USA
The spring intake in USA is best for all those who missed out on the fall intake deadlines. With the season beginning in January and ending around early May, it is important to note that the deadlines of different institutions vary as per the specific university. Usually, all your deadlines will be between July-September. So, it is important for applicants to be cautious about the deadlines other than the essential documents to be prepared. Take a look at the documents required to apply for spring intake in USA:
- The attested marksheets of class 10th and 12th
- Transcripts of the previous qualifying examination
- Degree of the previous qualification (in some cases, Provisional Certificate would work)
- GRE or GMAT scores
- IELTS, TOEFL or PTE score sheet
- 2-3 LORs
- SOP and essay
- Valid passport
- Latest passport-sized photographs
- Certificates of extracurricular activities, internships, apprenticeships, etc (if there are any)
- Work experience (if there is any)
How to Apply for Spring Intake in USA?
- You need to start applying to universities by April, May because the admission process can take time, so you need to have enough time in hand. You should start shortlisting universities which offer spring admissions and choose the ones you wish to apply for and start researching on their admission processes, exams to prepare and documents needed.
- You will have to check the university page to see what tests you might have to sit for such as IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT or GRE. You should start registering for these tests by June and take them as soon as possible.
- During August and September, you should start applying to the colleges. check all the university pages, to understand the application process and all the documents that are needed. Many universities require SOPs and LORs, get in touch with our expert team at Leverage Edu for help writing your SOPs and LORs.
- By October, November, you will start receiving responses from universities, so make sure you reply as soon as possible. Once you get an acceptance letter, you might have to pay a non-refundable admission deposit.
- Towards the end of the year, you will have to apply for your visa and student loans which will be needed.
- Lastly, you will have to book your tickets by the end of January next year because its time to move to the US.
Which Intake to Choose: Fall vs Spring Intake in USA
|Fall Intake||Spring Intake|
|You can get more opportunities in terms of scholarships and better networking options with other students as the academic year begins during this time.||Less opportunities are made available at the beginning of the academic year as most of the scholarships and funding have been available at the start of the year.|
|Universities offer a wide range of options for courses to select in the fall intake||In spring, universities offer a comparatively limited number of courses.|
|More on-campus opportunities, more research or teacher assistant jobs available during fall intake.||The opportunities to work on campus and as a researcher are slightly less, as you may begin in the middle of the year.|
|Since the entire social group has been formed since the beginning of the year it is easier for a fall student to lead that specific group.||It would be difficult to demonstrate your real potential as a leader in the spring semester, as a social group is already made.|
|Fall students can easily apply for internship opportunities because before applying, they easily meet the 9-month criteria.||Spring students face the problem of eligibility for 9 months of intern enrollment with any company as an intern.|
|With a fall student, more job options are available as the university placement drive begins during that time.||As most of the fall candidates have already been employed by companies, a limited number of job options are available.|
Myths about Spring Intake in USA
There are various misbeliefs when it comes while planning to study abroad prospectus, sometimes it’s the myths about IELTS and even about the intake season. We are busting myths about the spring intake in USA:
- Less Ranked Courses – This is just a misconception about the spring intake in USA. The courses available spring are slightly less as compared to the fall but the courses offered are taught by the best faculty. The education system of USA is built in a way that if students studies in spring, winter, or summer intake the course curriculum offered remains the same.
- Difficult to get admission – Another myth about the spring intake in USA is that it is extremely hard to get admission in spring intake. The course availability, entry requirements, and other related things are the same. The level of difficulty remains the same in all intakes in USA.
- No Internships – Internship opportunities play an important role in the course curriculum. Another misconception is that there are lesser internships opportunities available to spring intake in USA students. Students can opt for various internships however, there are slightly fewer as compared to the fall intake.
- Visa Issues – This remains the biggest myth about the spring intake in USA that is nearly impossible to get an F-1 visa spring intake. The visa is provided on the applicant’s qualification and eligibility. This is just another misconception that it is difficult to acquire an F-1 visa in spring intakes.
There are various intake season in USA. The spring intake in USA starts from January and end in early may.
Every intake has its own pros and cons. There are various key points to consider before selecting the intake season. Class size of Fall Intake is large as compared to other intakes, this means more chances of getting admission. On the other hand, applicant with the excellent academic record and other qualifications also has a higher chance of admission in spring intake in USA.
Yes, you can purse various postgraduate programs in the spring intake in USA
The IELTS requirement is different for each university, the IELTS score between 7.5 – 8.5 is considered good for admission
Top Universities includes Harvard, Yale, Columbia University in USA
Yes, you can start PhD course in the spring intake in USA.
It is the time when thousands of students apply for MS and MBA programs abroad. Whether planning to apply for fall or spring intake in USA, it is advisable to prepare beforehand. For complete assistance on the application process, LORs and SOPs, take help of the industry’s leading experts at Leverage Edu. For complete career guidance, book your 30-minutes counselling session with us now!