Over the last few years, the nature of the Financial Industry has changed drastically and the need for Finance Professionals is striving to remain at the forefront of new growth and trends. There is a significant need for skilled quants. The main focus of this course lies in risk and credit investments. It is a multidisciplinary field that involves financial analysis and modelling, engineering techniques, mathematical tools, and software training. If you really want to establish a career in Financial Engineering, you need to know various things to become a preferred job candidate.
This Blog Includes:
- Financial Engineering
- Importance of Financial Engineering
- Subjects and Courses
- Masters in Financial Engineering
- Skills Required
- Top Universities for Financial Engineering
- Top Universities in India
- Career Paths
“Financial Engineering is the application of science-based mathematical models to decisions about saving, investing, borrowing, lending, and managing risk.” This is how Boston University’s Norman and Adele Barron Professor of Management, Prof. Zvi Bodie describes Financial Engineering. The course should be layered above a strong foundation of financial science in a logically coherent world. In qualifications, a Master’s in Science or a Masters’ in Financial Engineering (MFE) will gear you up towards new quantitative roles such as delivering risk models and trading directly, library control, model validation, risk management and programming.
Importance of Financial Engineering
- It is a field of study that helps in the reduction of risk in investments by assessing the total risk of the portfolio.
- The course also assists in making financial markets more active and efficient by simple means of matching the needs and wants.
- The course helps to provide financial analysis of the business’ product and assets.
- It also helps in advancing the company’s strategy
- The course also creates real-time economic stimulations in order to predict and analyse the future behaviour of the market.
Also Read: B Tech Mechanical Engineering
Subjects and Courses
Operations Analysis, Applied Mathematics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Theoretical Physics, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering are usually part of the coursework. The relevant programs related to this field are:
|Undergraduate Courses (UG)||BTech Financial Engineering|
|Postgraduate Courses (PG)||MS in Financial Engineering
MTech Financial Engineering
MS in Computational Finance
MS in Mathematical Finance
MS in Financial Mathematics & Quantitative Finance
|PhD Courses||Financial Engineering|
|Certification Courses||Risk management assurance
Information system auditor
Certification in quantitative finance
Machine learning for tradingInterest rate modelsReinforcement learning in finance
Also Read: What is Financial Management?
Masters in Financial Engineering
Masters in Financial Engineering is an expert multidisciplinary field that deals with financial theory, engineering methods, programming, etc. Financial engineering applies expertise in computer programming. They create and develop new financial products, manage financial risks and develop funds.
Here are the top universities around the world where you can study Masters in Financial Engineering:
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- University of California-Berkeley
- University of Washington
- Stony Brook University
- North Carolina State University
- Baruch College
- University of California-Los Angeles
- University of Michigan
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Columbia University Financial Engineering
Columbia University has a 36-credit degree STEM program. The program is devoted to tools of trade and use in modelling financial markets and instruments. Students can also take electives from one of the following graduate schools:
- Graduate School of Business
- Graduate School of Arts and Science
- School of Law
- School of International and Public Affairs
The program offers seven concentrations, including:
- Asset Management
- Computation & Programming
- Computational Finance/Trading Systems
- Finance & Economics
- Financial Technology
- Machine Learning for Financial Engineering
NYU Financial Engineering
At NYU School of Engineering, students are trained to engineer the future of financial services and transform financial theory to practice. MS in Financial Engineering helps students to derive risk finances.
The program allows students to select courses from the following focus areas:
- Corporate Finance and Financial Markets
- Computational Finance
- Technology and Algorithmic Finance
- Risk Finance
UCLA Financial Engineering
UCLA’s Graduate Program in Management offers Masters in Financial Engineering. The Institute offers courses in investments, financial accounting, financial decision making and derivative markets. There are a total of 70 units of financial engineering with 16 elective courses.
The Additional Requirements to be successful in this Career Path are:
- Coding expertise in languages like Python, Java, C++, and Scala Apart from basic skills, you should also possess communication and analytical skills for competitive advantage.
- Aspirants must be familiar with linear algebra, spatial geometry, stochastic calculus, and also have an understanding of differential equations.
- Keep up with the latest developments in the industry. Candidates should be accustomed to constant reading, crunching and applying the information for the creation of predictive financial models.
Must Read: Financial Engineering Courses
Top Universities for Financial Engineering
A career in this course has immense potential in the future Financial Market. If you’re interested to enter the Finance Industry and possess good mathematical and scientific knowledge, here are some of the top institutions for this course:
|Columbia University||USA||Financial Engineering
Mathematics of Finance
|Carnegie Mellon University||USA||Computational Finance|
|University of California Berkeley||USA||Financial Engineering|
|City University of New York||USA||Financial Engineering|
|New York University||USA||Mathematics in Finance|
|Princeton University||USA||Master in Finance|
|Cornell University||USA||MEng in Financial Engineering Concentration|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||USA||Master of Finance|
|The University of Chicago||USA||Financial Mathematics|
|Stanford University||USA||Computational and Mathematical Engineering
Master of Science in Financial Mathematics
|University of Oxford||UK||MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||USA||Quantitative and Computational Finance|
|Boston University||USA||Mathematical Finance|
|University of Washington||USA||Computational Finance and Risk Management|
|University of California, Los Angeles||USA||Financial Engineering|
Also Read: BTech in Civil Engineering
Top Universities in India
With the rapidly evolving global scenario and growing competition, there has been an increase in these courses offered at various levels by different colleges and institutions in India. As this is an emerging and high paying industry, more and more individuals are trying to gain the knowledge and skills needed for this profession so that they can make a career switch. Here are some top Indian universities offering the best programs in this area:
- Indian Institute of Technology – Kharagpur
- QuantInsti Quantitative Learning Pvt Ltd, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Quantitative Finance, Mumbai
- GD Goenka Education City, Haryana
A candidate pursuing a Master’s degree in this field can find a range of career prospects in the Finance Industry and is qualified to take high-level positions within large companies. Here are the career options for an aspiring candidate who wants to take up Financial Engineering:
- Financial Regulation
- Corporate Finance
- Portfolio Management
- Derivatives Pricing
- Risk Management
- Structured Products
- Valuation of Options
- Market Analyst
- Risk Analyst
Also Read: Career in Traffic Engineering
As per 2020, the median salary of Financial Engineers in the USA is 79,327 USD whereas the average salary of a finance engineer is around $106,507 per year. If we calculate correctly, then a finance engineer makes around $51.21 per hour! According to some figures, you can make anywhere between 175,000 to 400,000 USD after gaining a few more years of experience. Financial Engineering is a dynamic field in which you must constantly update yourself. The more you understand, the higher your chances of application would be, and therefore, you would be able to get better pay from the businesses in which you would be employed.
Now you know all about Financial Engineering! Reach out to Leverage Edu if you need assistance in applying to a top university offering this course.