If you’re interested in attaining diverse knowledge as well as expertise of two different subjects then the best option would be opting for a dual degree. Emerging as a new trend, dual degrees are now offered by many universities in different disciplines or at various levels of study. As there has been a huge influx of students who have showcased an extraordinary interest in dual degree programs, corresponding to the rising demands where companies seek professionals with multiple expertise. Today, in this blog we will enumerate in a detailed process everything related to dual degree programs.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Dual Degree?
- How is a Dual Degree Different From Double Major?
- Benefits of Pursuing a Dual Degree Course
- How can Dual Degrees Programs Help in Building a Career?
- List of Popular Dual Degree Programs
- Top Universities
- Dual Degree in India
What is a Dual Degree?
In simple terms, a dual degree is when a student pursues degrees in two different fields of study or disciplines simultaneously to obtain two degrees together. Dual degrees can be pursued in the two distinct branches of the same level of study. For example: If you are pursuing a dual degree program in Psychology as well as Business Administration, you will earn two separate degrees, that is, BA Psychology and BBA together.
Often universities also offer a combination of UG and PG courses in the dual degree programs. For example: BA LLB, BBA MBA Integrated course, BTech + MBA, etc. It primarily depends on the university that the combination of the course is offering. Those universities that provide dual degree programs essentially ask students to qualify the requirements for each program separately.
How is a Dual Degree Different From Double Major?
Since now you are familiar with what dual degree programs are, let us examine how they are different from the double majors. Mentioned below are the key differences between each of them so that you can weigh and the suitability and convenience of both of these programs for yourself.
- If you’re pursuing a double major, you’ll obtain only one degree but you will specialize in two concerns of the same degree. For example in Management, you can specialize both in Finance and Hospitality. On the other hand, in dual degree programs, you’ll have the opportunity to obtain two degrees in different fields of study. For instance, two undergraduate degrees, one in Management and other in Sociology.
- In a double major students have to go through only less extra coursework or sometimes not at all because they are pursuing a single degree. Whereas, in dual degree not only do you go through enormous course work but you have to keep up with the syllabus and schedule of both degrees at the same time. Dual degree programs enable you to simultaneously learn about two very different disciplines.
- You can study a double major within the same school of the university without having to shuttle between the departments each time. This is not the case with a dual program where you have to continuously flit from one department to another and sometimes even a university also.
- A dual degree can be completed within a set time frame. But a double major sometimes takes more time to be completed because of the intensive coursework involved in the program. Moreover, more clarity can be seen regarding the duration, once you opt a particular program.
Benefits of Pursuing a Dual Degree Course
The Dual Degree programs aim to improve the quality of trained education in India. The structure of the courses has been designed and introduced with a unique curriculum and syllabus. The following are a few benefits of pursuing a dual degree course.
- Candidates who have passed 12th can attain a UG and PG Degree together with a single admission.
- It helps people save time and also saves energy.
- Students only have to go through one admission procedure which also reduces a lot of hassle.
- It is the best option for students who are clear with their end goal and wish to enhance or build many skills.
- Students explore multiple combinations and can choose among various options.
How can Dual Degrees Programs Help in Building a Career?
Dual degree programs allow students to delve and study multidisciplinary degree programs. It prepares them to morph into professionals with diverse knowledge, skills as well as their applications. As professionals, they will be able to tackle complex problems using different methodologies and achieve their goals with a high success rate.
In the constantly changing business environment, organizations are looking for individuals who can adapt to the requirements and responsibilities of different roles. For example, a student with a degree in Finance and Engineering will be the first choice for an engineering firm to handle their financial department as well as their designing projects.
List of Popular Dual Degree Programs
Since there’s a huge upsurge of students looking to apply for dual degree programs, universities have introduced more such programs in their academic curriculum. Here are some of the hot choices in the field-
Dual Degree Undergraduate Programs
|Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/ Bachelor of Laws – Chemical Engineering||Bachelor of Architecture/ Master of Business Administration in Management of Technology||Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Arts – Bus Strategy and Economic Mgmt|
|Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Arts – Business Economics||Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/ Bachelor of Arts – Engineering Flexible||Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Physics (Augustan Campus)|
|Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/ Bachelor of Laws – Bioinformatics Engineering||Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/ Bachelor of Laws – Renewable Energy Engineering||Bachelors of Business Management / Bachelor of Communication|
Dual Degree Postgraduate Programs
|Master of Health Administration / Master of Business Administration||Master of Business Administration and Master of Public Health||Master of Science in Journalism and Computer Science|
|Master of Arts Administration / Master of Arts in Folklore and Ethnomusicology||Master of Science in Information Studies/ Master of Arts in Women’s and Gender Studies||Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy/ Master of Social Work|
|Master of Social Work / Master of Divinity||Master of Arts in English/ Master of Science in Information Science||Master of Arts in Journalism and Master of Arts in Middle Eastern and North African Studies|
Dual Degree Doctorate Programs
|Doctor of Dental Science/ Master of Arts in Science and Dental Education||Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology And Peace Studies||Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology – Human Development and Public Policy|
Numerous universities across the world are now offering these degree programs to the students, among which some of the prominent ones are.
- The University of New South Wales
- Suffolk University
- Hofstra University
- Monash University
- Thompson Rivers University
- The University of Queensland
- University of Southern California
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Hawaii – Manoa
- University of Colorado – Denver
- Saint Louis University
- CQ University Australia
- University of Maryland – College Park
- Idaho State University
Dual Degree in India
Various colleges in India have introduced dual degree programs and related specializations. The following are the top colleges in India that offer dual degree programs.
- Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
- BITS Pilani.
- Amity University.
- The University of Rajasthan.
- Punjabi University.
- Delhi Technological University.
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad.
Hopefully, through this descriptive blog you have understood fully what dual degree programs are and all the related information about them. Are you confused between a dual degree and a normal one? Let the experts at Leverage Edu help you choose the best-matched degrees and programs across the top universities in the world. Hurry up! Sign-up for a free e-meeting.