If you have an eye for detail and a sense of aesthetics then MDes is a perfect career option to satisfy your creativity. MDes focuses on the technical and creative aspects of communicating through visual media. While several countries offer the course, Canada is one of the most popular destinations for Design students. Due to its Multiculturalism Policy in 1971, Canada offers a blend of cultures and art that inspires students to represent different perspectives in their designs. An MDes in Canada can be one of the best options for students planning to build an ironclad career in this field.
This Blog Includes:
MDes in Canada
- A Master of Design degree can take around 18 to 30 months to complete.
- It is exclusively offered by a few top Canadian universities and costs between 20,000 and 50,000 CAD per year (INR 11-29 LPA).
- For pursuing a Master of Design, you must have knowledge of design, a good sense of color, and a broad sense of art.
- International students applying for master’s degrees in design in Canada must provide a great portfolio, which can make or break their applications.
- In Canada, you can make an average of 60,000 CAD [INR 34 lakhs] as an entry-level designer after completing your master’s degree.
Why Study MDes in Canada?
While there are several reasons why you should consider Canada to pursue your Masters in Design, we have mentioned two prominent reasons below:
- According to the Government of Canada’s Job Bank Report, the number of graphic designers and illustrators employed in Canada will increase to 21,400 by 2026.
- Since 2016, graphic designers’ salaries have risen by up to 4% throughout the country. Not only that, but graduating from a bachelor’s to a master’s degree raises a graphic designer’s pay by 41%. As a result, more students are choosing to pursue a master’s degree in design in Canada.
Also Read: Design Colleges in Canada
In Canada, a master’s degree in design is an 18 to 30-month long programme provided by the various universities’ School of Arts. It teaches students about design studies through a theoretical, practical, and research-based approach. As part of their degree, students must study specific core and optional topics. This practice-based degree is aimed at creative professionals working at the cutting edge of design.
Design theory, research methods in design, and interdisciplinary practices in design are some of the key subjects taught in Master of Design programmes in Canada. This program’s main focus is on visual communication, built environment, and interaction design. For successful completion of the degree you must submit a thesis in the final year, which is developed throughout the programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree or a diploma degree with a GPA higher than or equal to the university’s cutoff.
- Transcripts from high school and senior high school
- A good curriculum vitae or resume that includes grades, extracurricular activities, areas of interest, responsibilities, job experience, and other relevant information.
- Portfolio of creative work that satisfies the university’s requirements.
- Writing samples, a statement of purpose and a preliminary research proposal are among the additional materials (varies from university to university)
- At least three letters of recommendation are required. A minimum of two academic references may be required for some universities.
- Acceptable english proficiency tests:
- A certificate showing prior design knowledge and expertise (if available). This does not apply to all colleges, since some provide a one-year foundation course prior to the M.Des to give students the skills needed to complete the degree successfully.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) approved valid Canadian student Visa.
The university’s admissions department examines the applications once they are submitted, the department looks at the GPA, portfolio, English proficiency test results, extra-curricular activities, referral forms, CV, and other information. The entire application procedure, which includes filling out the application form, paying a fee, uploading supporting papers, and receiving a final call from the institution for acceptance, takes around 2-3 months.
The decision is entirely in the hands of the appropriate authorities, and it may take longer in some situations. Furthermore, at certain universities, such as the University of Alberta, students who have been denied by the university can ask for reconsideration of their application, which might take some time.
MDes in Canada – Top Colleges
Some of Canada’s finest colleges, such as the University of Alberta and Concordia University, offer Master of Design programmes. Students can also pursue the degree with a variety of specialties, including industrial design, environmental design, innovative vehicle planning, architectural design, and engineering design.
|University of Alberta||INR 15 lakhs|
|Concordia University||INR 27 lakhs|
|York University||INR 45 lakhs|
|Carleton University||INR 27 lakhs|
|Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD)||INR 20 lakhs|
|OCAD University||INR 28 lakhs|
|Emily Carr University of Art and Design (ECUAD)||INR 25 lakhs|
Also Read: Best Designing Courses and Universities
Scholarships for MDes in Canada
Universities provide a range of awards and scholarships to help students with their finances.
|Alberta Graduate Excellence Scholarship||University of Alberta||INR 9 lakhs|
|Entrance Scholarship||NSCAD University||INR 37,000 to 4.5 lakhs|
|In-study Scholarship||OCAD University||Varies|
|Concordia International Tuition Award of Excellence||Concordia University||Discount on tuition fee|
|York University Entrance Scholarship||York University||INR 74,000 to 3 lakhs|
MDes in Canada – Career Opportunities
The automobile, architectural, interior design, robotics, fashion, industrial, and aviation industries are all potential employers for Master in Design students. A graphic designer in Canada can make up to 100,000 CAD [INR 68 lakhs] per year, starting with a respectable average first pay of 47,400 CAD [INR 27 lakhs] per year.
In Canada, there are three primary categories of employment offered to Master of Design graduates:
- Graphic designers: They are in charge of producing graphics based on the brief provided by clients. The graphic designer’s job is to use eye-catching designs and images to deliver the desired message.
- Illustrator: They specialise in fields like drawing, photography, or digital illustration. They must come up with the narrative, message, or concept based on the employer’s requirements.
- Interior Designer: An interior designer manages designing and decoration of the interiors of buildings such as workplaces, private residences, and restaurants.
With specializations emerging in the domains of multimedia, fashion, architecture, automobiles, interiors, and many others, the area of design is continuously changing and expanding. Anyone with a passion for art can make a successful career in this field. However, if you do not wish to work right after the degree, you can pursue research in design as well.
Cost of Living in Canada
The total cost of studying in Canada is mainly constituted of different factors such as the chosen course, the city of study, accommodation, etc.
A Masters course may cost around 15,000 CAD to 20,000 CAD [INR 8 to 10 lakhs] each year in Canada. However, it varies from institution to institution.
- On-Campus: varies from one university to another
- Off-Campus: CAD 400 – CAD 3,000 per month [21,000 INR – 1,62,000 INR]
- Travel Costs: CAD 80 – CAD 110 per month [4,000 INR- 5,000 INR]
Note: These are approximate costs and can vary based on the city you live in and the CAD to INR conversion rates.
Canada Study Visa
In order to obtain a Canada Study visa for Indians, one needs to apply to the Citizen and Immigration (CIC) which is the main concerned authority for obtaining student permits for international students.
There are two ways to apply for Student Permit in Canada or Canada Study Visa:
- Regular Study Permit Application Procedure
- Student Direct Stream
Student Direct Stream
For Indian students, the best way is to apply through the student direct stream in which you must egister online at the official website of the CIC, submit biometrics (fingerprints and photo) and then wait for at least 20 days for the verification and result.
Regular Study Permit Application Procedure
On the other hand, the regular study permit application procedure is a traditional method in which you can either apply online or on paper. The eligibility criteria are similar to the student direct stream, however, it can take a little longer for the screening of applications.
The application fee for Student Visa in Canada is CAD $150 [Rs 8,000 approximately].
Documents Required for Visa
- Letter of Acceptance
- Valid Passport
- Transcripts/ Marksheets
- School Leaving Certificate
- Evidence of GIC Purchase
- Scholarship/Funding Details [If Applicable]
- Proof of your English or French Proficiency Test
- Student Questionnaire
- Medical Test for Canada Student Visa
- Family Information Form
- IT Records of your parents [Last 2 years]
- Use Representative Form (IMM 5476)
Are you planning to pursue MDes in Canada? While the country boasts some of the best courses for the field, the admission process is certainly not a piece of cake. So, if you wish to improve your chances of getting selected at a top university in Canada, take the support of the experts. Our counsellors will help you throughout your study abroad journey from choosing the right university to the visa application process. So, call Leverage Edu today and take the first step towards successfully studying in Canada.