Canada is globally renowned for delivering high-quality education through its top-ranked institutions welcoming international students all around the year! Whether it is management, science, arts, or medicine, the country is not behind in providing quality academic programs in different fields of study. Want to pursue a medical degree in Canada? Doctor of Medicine (MD) is one of the most sought after degree programs in Canada and is considered as equivalent to MBBS. The country is home to the world’s finest and most prestigious medical schools and universities. This blog brings you a complete guide on MD in Canada, its eligibility requirements, fees, and more.
Also Read: MBBS in Canada
This Blog Includes:
About MD in Canada
Doctor of Medicine or MD/PhD in Canada is a 3-5 year degree program in Medical Science and often requires students to have a prerequisite medical qualification like a bachelor’s degree in Medical Sciences or MBBS. Pursuing an MD degree, you will get qualified with a certified license to practice as a medical practitioner or doctor in Canada.
A Doctor of Medicine in Canada comprises 2 years of pre-clinical courses and 2 years of clinical training, called rotation.
- In majority of the universities, the first 2 years of the MD Program helps students develop requisite skills, knowledge, and attitudes for future learning.
- Students learn in various settings like classrooms for lectures and seminars, anatomy labs.
- Post the 2 year intensive learning, students learn various clinical topics which helps them develop their clinical skills to prepare for workplace learning. This term is often known as clerkship.
- These two years involves learning while working with physicians and other health care team members in hospitals and clinics.
Eligibility for MD in Canada
Let’s first look at the eligibility requirements or criteria for pursuing MD in Canada. The essential requirement for MD in Canada is that you must have a bachelor’s degree (like MBBS) in the same field of study is of utmost importance. Here are the major eligibility requirements for MD in Canada:
- 12th qualification from a recognized board.
- Students must qualify 12th standard with at least 50% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Students must have some previous university experience and cannot directly pursue an MD in Canada just after high school.
- Students hence must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university.
- The undergraduate program must have subjects like Biology and Chemistry.
- Some universities prefer undergrad program for 2 years while others accept only for 3 years.
- A diploma is CEGEP is also required in order to study MD in Canada.
- For pursuing MBBS in India, a student must qualify NEET exam. Likewise, in order to pursue an MD in Canada, the student must qualify the MCAT exam to get admission in a medical college in Canada.
- Apart from MCAT, the student also must qualify the English proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS, PTE etc to study MD in Canada.
- Once qualified, the student has to also appear for group discussion and personal interviews as well.
Top Universities offering MD in Canada
Here are the top medical schools and universities offering MD in Canada:
|Universities||THE World University Rankings for Medicine 2022|
|University of Toronto||10|
|McMaster University, Hamilton||37|
|The University of British Columbia||27|
|University of Montreal||70|
|University of Ottawa||111|
|University of Alberta||90|
|University of Calgary||83|
MD in Canada Fees
Here are the top medical universities and their fees for MD in Canada:
|University||Duration of MD||Total Fees (Year One)|
|University of Toronto||4 years||CAD 94,224.42 [54,40,241 INR approx.]|
|McMaster University||3 years||CAD 95,996.68 [55,42,566 INR approx.]|
|The University of British Columbia||4 years||CAD 22,199.45[12,81,731 INR approx.]|
|University of Montreal||4-5 years||CAD 17,590[10,15,595 INR approx.]|
|University of Alberta||4 years||CAD 12,887.20 [7,44,069 INR approx.]|
|The University of Ottawa*||5 years||CAD 4,775 [2,75,695 INR approx.]|
|University of Calgary||3 years||CAD 60,641.54- CAD 63,340.68 [35,01,264 INR – 36,57,105 INR approx.]|
|Western University||5 years||CAD 11,993 [6,92,441 INR approx.]|
Note: The University of Ottawa offers PhD/MD in Medicine and Biochemistry/Medicine and Cellular Molecular Medicine/Medicine and Microbiology and Immunology/Medicine and Neuroscience)
Also Read: IELTS and GMAT Scores to Study in Canada
We hope that this blog provided you with all the information you need to pursue a Doctor of Medicine in Canada. If you also want to pursue MD in Canada but are still confused about where to begin, then reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and we will help you find the right university and scholarship and further guide you through the admission process as well! Book a free session right away!