Chennai is the largest commercial centre in India with a great educational system which emphasises practical and theoretical learning. The city has numerous universities and colleges offering a plethora of courses in subject areas like science, humanities, liberal arts, commerce, and medicine. It is an attractive educational destination for domestic and international students; one course which is exceptionally in demand in Chennai is an MBA. Thousands of students flock to the state to pursue the course annually. In this blog, we will list out all the top MBA colleges in Chennai and the important information related to courses and admissions!
Must Read: Top MBA Colleges in India
This Blog Includes:
- Top MBA Colleges in Chennai
- MBA Colleges in Chennai without Entrance Exam
- List of Government MBA colleges in Chennai with Fees Details
- Private MBA Colleges in Chennai
- MBA in Chennai: Eligibility
- MBA in Chennai: Selection Procedure
- MBA in Chennai: Documents Required
- MBA Colleges in Chennai Accepting CAT Scores
Top MBA Colleges in Chennai
Chennai is the leading state when it comes to technical learning and management courses; it has some of the most sought after colleges for MBA programmes. Admissions to MBA courses are mandated via national entrance exams like GMAT, CMAT, CAT, MAT, XAT, ATMA and state entrance exams like TANCET.
|Colleges offering MBA in Chennai||Courses Offered||Exams Accepted||Average Fee in INR (Estimated)|
|Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras||Executive MBA
Full Time MBA
|CAT||8 to 13 Lakhs|
|Great Lakes Institute of Technology, Madras||MBA||CAT||16 Lakhs|
|IFMR Graduate School For Business, Chennai||MBA||CAT, XAT, CMAT, NMAT||13.8- 14 Lakhs|
|Anna University||MBA||TANCET MBA, MAT, CAT, TANCET, XAT, CMAT, ATMA, GMAT, KMAT||1- 4 Lakhs|
|University of Madras||MBA||TANCET MBA||50,000- 60,000|
|Loyola Institute of Technology||MBA||TANCET MBA||35,000- 50,000|
|SRM School of Management- SRM Institute of Science and Technology||MBA
MBA in Banking and Financial Services
|XAT, CAT, MAT, GMAT, CMAT, NMAT, SRMJEEM, TANCET MBA||7 Lakhs|
|Loyola Institute of Business Administration||MBA||CAT, XAT||15.3- 15.5 Lakhs|
|Indian Institute of Logistics||MBA Logistics and Shipping||CAT||4.5 Lakhs|
|Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai||MBA||CAT, CMAT, MAT||5 Lakhs|
|St Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai||MBA||TANCET MBA||75,000- 80, 000|
|Indian Institute of Knowledge Management||MBA Business Analytics
MBA Digital Marketing and E Commerce
MBA Airline and Airport Management
|CAT, CMAT, XAT, MAT, ATMA||30,000- 60,000|
|Xavier Institute Of Management And Entrepreneurship||MBA||CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, NMAT, ATMA, GMAT||7.5- 8 Lakhs|
|VIT Business School, VIT University||MBA||CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, NMAT||7- 7.5 Lakhs|
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
IITs are great for MBA courses as well; IIT Madras is one of the top MBA colleges in Chennai. It set up the famous Department of Management Studies offering management courses to eligible candidates, The department was set up in the year 2004. Ranked 6th by NIRF Management 2020; it is amongst the top MBA colleges in India. The MBA programme at IIT- Madras is academically rigorous with a sharp focus on classroom learning, skill enhancement and industrial exposure for a smooth transition to corporate life. The college has an MBA 2- year-long programme with specialisations in finance, integrative management, marketing, operations, human resources and organisational behaviour. The college also offers a joint post-graduation course called PGPEX-VLM.
Great Lakes Institute of Technology, Madras
Great Lakes Institute of Technology is a private business school with campuses in Chennai and Gurgaon. The school was started in 2004 and has emerged as one of the best business schools in Southern India and amongst the top MBA colleges in Chennai. Ranked 23rd amongst the top B- schools by NIRF India Rankings. The college offers full-time programmes and corporate programmes for students and working professionals with work experience. The college has programmes such as
- Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)
- Post Graduate Executive Program in Management (PGXPM)
- Post Graduate Program in Management – Flex
- MBA in Business Analytics
Loyola Institute of Business Administration
Next on our list of MBA colleges in Chennai is the Loyola Institute of Business Administration. A premier private business school founded in 1979 by the Society of Jesus. The college is located within the premises of Loyola College, Chennai with excellent infrastructure and facilities. The college has a unique, holistic approach to management studies which includes inculcating ethics and social responsibility along with skill development and exposure. They offer full-time, part-time, diploma and certificate programmes at the institute. They offer programmes like:
- Full-time PGDM courses with electives/specialisations like Marketing, Finance, Human Resource Management, Operations Management, Systems, and Business Analytics
- Part-time PGDM with specialisations such as Marketing, Finance, Human Resources Management and General Management.
- PhD in Business Administration
- Executive Diploma Programmes in fields like Banking Management, Family Business Management, Financial Management, Healthcare Management, Human Resource Management etc
- Certificate In Project Management
- Post Graduate Programme in Logistics
One of the largest and oldest public universities in Tamil Nadu with a stellar reputation for academic excellence and creating leaders in several domains. The university set up a department of management studies back in 1981 with the objective of departing managerial skills and techniques. The admissions to their MBA programmes is through TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test) followed by counselling at the college. They offer full-time MBA as well as part-time MBA programmes with specialisations in areas like General Management, Operation Management, Systems, Human Resources etc. It comes in the top MBA colleges in Chennai.
IFMR Graduate School For Business, Chennai
Moving further on our list of MBA colleges in Chennai is IFMR Graduate School for Business. IFMR Graduate School For Business, formerly called Institute of Financial Management and Research is situated in the outskirts of Chennai, in the Sri City of Andhra Pradesh; it is an excellent private business school which offers PGDM programmes accredited by AICTE. The college offers a wide range of management programmes with an emphasis on rigorous classroom training, excellent facilities and highly – qualified faculty members. It offers MBA and Executive MBA programmes. The admission process is straightforward; it includes three rounds: form and score submission, written test followed by personal interview. The college accepts all MBA national entrance exam scores, even GRE scores for admissions.
SRM Institute of Science and Technology
SRM Institute of Science and Technology is a deemed university founded in 1985. Formerly called SRM University, the college has several campuses across Chennai. It has various departments offering bachelors, masters and doctoral programmes to domestic and international students. The School of Management under SRM is extremely popular for its well-curated academic programmes and placement opportunities. They offer BBA, MBA, MBA in Banking and Financial Services and PhD with varied specialisations. The college accepts all national entrance exams for MBA. Students also have the option of clearing SRMJEEM conducted by the institute in case the student does have a valid score from any national entrances.
Explore: Courses after MBA
MBA Colleges in Chennai without Entrance Exam
Although admission to top MBA schools in Chennai via CAT is available, admission to top MBA colleges in Chennai via CMAT and MAT is also possible. Furthermore, if you have not taken any of the national level MBA entrance exams for admission to MBA colleges in Chennai, you can look into admission opportunities in MBA colleges in Chennai without taking an entrance exam, as a few MBA colleges in Chennai hold their own admission tests or offer admission through the regional entrance exam TANCET. A list of Direct MBA admission colleges or colleges that don’t require any entrance exams scores in Chennai with Fees is given below:
|MBA colleges in Chennai||Fees in INR|
|RSB Chennai: Rajalakshmi School of Business||6.5 lakhs|
|Firebird Institute of Research in Management||7 lakhs|
Also Read: MBA vs MIM
List of Government MBA colleges in Chennai with Fees Details
Chennai is one of the most sought after cities for MBA in India. Students come to this city to pursue their MBA degree from all across the country and across borders as well. Here is a list of government universities and colleges that are offering MBA degree and other PGDM courses in Chennai:
|Institutions Avg. Tuition Fees|
|IIT Madras – Dept. of Management Studies 9 Lakh|
|University of Madras 56 K|
|Guru Nanak College 46 K – 51 K|
|IMU – Chennai Indian Maritime University 4 Lakh|
|Anna University 35 K|
Private MBA Colleges in Chennai
The following are the popular private MBA college in Chennai:
- TSM Madurai: Thiagarajar School of Management Madurai
- RSB Chennai: Rajalakshmi School of Business
- Crescent School of Business: B.S. Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science and Technology
- Amity Global Business School, Chennai
- Hallmark Business School
- Academy of Maritime Education and Training (AMET)
- Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr Sagunthala R & D Institute of Technology Chennai
- Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research Chennai
- MEASI Institute of Management
- St. Peter’s College of Engineering and Technology
Also Read: MBA after MBBS
MBA in Chennai: Eligibility
Students interested in pursuing an MBA in Chennai must pass an entrance exam (as prescribed by the university of their choice) in order to be admitted to a management program. Candidates must verify their eligibility before applying for the entrance exam. The following are the basic requirements for admission to an MBA program:
- Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree (in any field) from a recognised college or university.
- Candidates in their final year of study are also eligible to apply.
- Students must have received 50 percent (for general) and 45 percent (for reserved categories) in their bachelor’s degree.
MBA in Chennai: Selection Procedure
Students will be shortlisted for admission for MBA in Chennai based on their performance in the entrance exam or qualifying exam. Candidates that have been shortlisted will be eligible to participate in the next rounds of admission. Various colleges hold their own admission rounds, such as personal interviews, group discussions, and so on. The candidate’s rank, success in the admission rounds, category, and seat availability are some of the factors that are taken into consideration before making the final decision.
MBA in Chennai: Documents Required
At the time of document verification, students will be asked to carry all required documents as well as photocopies. Admission will not be granted until all documents are checked. The following documents will be required for verification:
- 10th class mark sheet and passing certificate
- 12th class mark sheet and passing certificate
- Graduation certificate/degree
- All academic certificates and transcripts
- Entrance exam score(s)
- Category certificate (for reserved categories)
- Character certificate
- Domicile certificate (for state quota)
- Updated CV/Resume
- MBA Essay (if asked)
- Photo identity card issued by the government
Also Read: MBA in Germany
MBA Colleges in Chennai Accepting CAT Scores
Top MBA colleges in Chennai use CAT test scores to identify and admit students to their flagship MBA/PGDM programmes. The Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Tiruchirappalli is a student favourite and one of the finest MBA colleges in Chennai, with a moderate study cost structure, a strong alumni network, and excellent placements. The following is a list of all the best MBA colleges in Chennai that accept CAT scores:
- Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli
- Great Lakes Institute of Management (GLIM) Chennai
- Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA) Chennai
- IFMR Graduate School of Business at KREA University
- Bharathidasan Institute of Management
- VIT Business School (VIT)
- SSN School of Management
- SRM School of Management
- Rajalakshmi School of Business
- St. Josephs Institute of Management
MBA without Entrance Exams Eligibility Criteria
- You must be a graduate or in your final year of graduation in any field of study, preferably with at least a 50% average.
- Merit will be calculated based on your graduation grades for direct admission to MBA colleges without taking an entrance exam.
- You will be a favored candidate if you have 1-3 years of work experience.
- If you have succeeded in sports at the state or national levels, or if you have excelled in extracurricular activities, your eligibility for direct MBA admission will be enhanced.
There are nearly 152 MBA Colleges in Chennai.
In India, MBA fees range from INR 15,000 to INR 35 lakhs. In contrast to private MBA colleges, government colleges have lower fees. The cost of an MBA is determined by a number of factors, including hostel facilities, infrastructure, curriculum, and the college’s reputation.
It is beneficial to seek an MBA at SSN SOM. You should prepare yourself to deal with the frantic schedule. Every year, nearly 95% of students are put.
MBA is well-known for being one of the most expensive courses to study in the world. To complete the two-year program, aspirants must pay hefty fees. As a result, the course costs a significant sum of money in addition to the B School tuition fees.
These are all the best MBA colleges in Chennai. You can decide which course is the one for you and see the admission requirements before applying. If you are still confused about where to apply and how to apply then contact our experts at Leverage Edu and let them guide you!