Are you someone always interest in building a career in the medical field but never wanted to pursue MBBS? There are various other options for you such as Nursing, Pathologist, etc. When thinking of becoming a Pathologist, it’s always worth considering what your best subjects are and what you find interesting. Maybe you’re keen on analyzing and identifying patterns or diagnose diseases in tissues. To find your fit, it is important to explore the dynamics of Pathology. So, here’s a blog to help you understand the different aspects of Pathology and what do you need to do to become a Pathologist?
This Blog Includes:
- What is Pathology?
- Why Choose a Career in Pathology?
- Eligibility Requirements
- Course Details
- How to Become a Pathologist?
- Pathologist Courses after 12th
- How to Become a Pathologist in India and Abroad?
- Top Universities for Pathology Abroad
- Top 10 Universities in India for Pathologist Courses
- Pathologist Career and Salary
- Top Recruiters
- Pathologist: Roles and Responsibilities
- Essential Skills to Become a Pathologist
- Best Books
What is Pathology?
Pathology is commonly recognised as the study of disease that bridges between Science and Medicine. The field incorporates the elements of patient care, right from diagnostic testing, medical advice and care to use genetic technology and preventing diseases. A Pathologist has the expertise to support every aspect of healthcare and easily guide doctors on how to effectively treat common diseases. Moreover, these professionals play a crucial role in research and development in order to find out new and better treatments to fight against infections, viruses and diseases like cancer. In fact, every blood test, cancer screening test, biopsy sample or search for infection involves a Pathology team.
Also Read : Top Pathology Courses
Why Choose a Career in Pathology?
Pathology has many benefits and scope is immense. Here are few of the reasons you should think of career in pathology:
- Pathologists have always been in demand and will continue to do in the future. Students don’t have to worry about the future scope of pathology. It has a wider scope in India and abroad
- Pathologists are not restricted to one field and have employment opportunities in healthcare, labs, hospitals, and much more
- Pathologists play an important role in the medical field. They identify diseases and cause of the illness which helps doctors in treating the patients better.
Also Read : Courses in Canada After 12th
For those planning to take up Pathology courses abroad, will be trained in this challenging field in order to meet the global need for Pathologist. The curriculum for the courses in universities abroad is designed to provide subjective knowledge with practical hands-on experience to prepare students for various job roles. However, to enrol for such intensive programs abroad, students need to fulfil the basic eligibility requirements listed below:
- High School diploma with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.
- Four years of an undergraduate degree in any field but with one year of Physics, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Biology. These are the essential required to sit for an MCAT (Medical College Admission Test).
- Do residency training in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (AP/CP). In the USA, there are options to do AP alone or CP alone.
- A minimum IELTS score of 7, to apply in good universities. Some universities worldwide could ask for GMAT or GRE.
Want to get admission to your dream university abroad? Then, Register Here!
There is not just one particular course for building a career in pathology. You can get a certification, diploma, bachelors, masters, and even doctoral degrees:
- Diploma in Pathology
- Diploma in Clinical Pathology
- Bachelor of Audiology Speech and Language Pathology
- Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Pathology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Speech Pathology and Audiology
Also Read : Best Countries to Study Psychology
How to Become a Pathologist?
Also Read : Paramedical Courses List
Pathologist Courses after 12th
Students interested in building a career in pathology can either pursue a diploma, certificate course, or undergraduate degree after the 12th. Eligibility to apply for pathologist courses includes 50% in class 12th with PCB. Popular courses are:
- Bachelor of Audiology Speech and Language Pathology
- BSc Pathology
- Diploma in Pathology
- Diploma in Clinical Pathology
Also Read : FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination)
How to Become a Pathologist in India and Abroad?
In order to become a Pathologist, you need to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or Chemistry or a 5-year degree in Medicine.
- 2-year general training foundation program.
- 3 to 7 years in internship or specialist training program in Pathology.
For those who do not have qualifications in Science, may be able to take a 6-year degree in Medicine with 1-year foundation or pre-medical year.
But, if you have a degree in Science, you can simply go for a 4-year graduate program in Medicine. Over the years, medical schools have become highly competitive and students are asked to submit transcripts, MCAT scores and LOR. They also consider applicant’s leadership qualities, personality and participation in extracurricular activities. Most admission committees will expect you to have done some relevant voluntary or paid experience.
Also Read : Role of Medical Representative
Top Universities for Pathology Abroad
Some of the top universities that offer courses in the subject are given below in the table:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
|The University of Manchester||UK||BSc Anatomical Sciences||3 years|
|Murray State University||USA||Bachelor’s in Communication Disorders||4 years|
|Universiti Sains Malaysia||Malaysia||Bachelor of Health Sciences in Speech Pathology||4 years|
|Keuka College||USA||BSc in Medical Technology||3 years|
|University of Maryland||USA||BSc in Medical Laboratory Science||2 years|
|University of New South Wales – UNSW||Australia||Bachelor of Science Major in Pathology||3 years|
|University of Missouri||USA||MS in Pathology and Anatomical Sciences||1 to 2 years|
|University of Kent||UK||MSc in Infectious Diseases||1 year|
|University of Malaya||Malaysia||Master of Pathology||4 year|
|Manchester Metropolitan University||UK||MSc in Cellular Pathology||1 year|
|Dalhousie University||Canada||MSc Pathology||2 years|
|Queen’s University||Canada||MSc Pathology||2 years|
|The University of Manchester||UK||MSc Molecular Pathology||1 year|
|Western University (Ontario)||Canada||MSc Pathology||2 years|
Next, apply for a license by taking an appropriate exam (like United States Medical Licensure Examination or USMLE) which will decide the types of residency the medical students will obtain.
Do a 4-year residency i.e., work in a hospital as an assistant or something for another 4 years. After the residency, the student can present themself in front of the medical board. Upon passing the test, you can practice as a Pathologist.
Top 10 Universities in India for Pathologist Courses
If you don’t want to study abroad, here are some of the universities you can consider located in India:
- St Johns Medical College, Bangalore
- AFMC Pune – Armed Forces Medical College
- HIMSR New Delhi – Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Bangalore
- SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Chennai
- BJ Government Medical College, Pune
- Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla
- Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Sciences, Saifai
- Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Center, Bangalore
- Punjab Institute of Medical Sciences, Jalandhar
Also Read : Courses After 12th Non Medical
Pathologist Career and Salary
So, now you are a Pathologist, what are the future roles or career prospects you can expect? Whether you open your own private lab or work for an established hospital, the responsibilities of the Pathologist remain the same everywhere. The only thing that changes in the area of expertise. Like studying only X-rays or bone problems, or working on blood samples or specialised genetic testing by pharmaceuticals or companies catering to deodorants, beauty products or new medicines that require testing before they are launched in the market. As a newly licensed Pathologist, you can earn up to USD 118,000 per year. In some countries or states within the USA, you can earn a lot more. In Wisconsin for example, the starting salary a Pathologist is somewhere around USD 220,000 per year. Here are some of the popular job profiles with their salary structure:
|Job Profiles||Salary in INR per annum|
Also Read : Medical Colleges in India
Pathologists can work in medical centers and hospitals. Some of the major recruiters are mentioned below:
- Dr Lal Pathlabs
- SRL Diagnostics
- Suburban Diagnostics
- Oncquest Laboratories Ltd
- Medall Healthcare Pvt Ltd
Also Read : Podcasts for Medical Students
Pathologist: Roles and Responsibilities
What is Pathology as a career like? Some of the things a Pathologist might do include:
- Perform Autopsies – Experienced Pathologist can act like a Medical Examiner (ME) who examines the genetic modulation in order to determine the cause of death.
- Carry Out Tests – Pathologists determine the efficacy of new drugs or medicine in the market by doing some laboratory tests. The drugs or new products that can be dangerous are first tested and their discoveries can actually help scientists or developers of the particular product.
- Make Reports or Deductions – Pathologist’s reports are used as proof of illness or deformity that is to be treated by the doctor. Their reports consist of more scientific matters of the patient’s problem.
- Interpret Complex DataInterpret laboratory information to solve some unsolved medical mysteries regarding a patient or whole. Study tumours or any internal deformities.
Also Read : RRB Paramedical Syllabus
Essential Skills to Become a Pathologist
Becoming a Pathologist is not a piece of cake. You are subject to study and prepare like a doctor. Somewhere down the line, the procedures in the curriculum get changed as per the profession but it is one tough course to major in. So, a student should have:
- An eye for detail: Pathology students are expected to have a clear eye for detailing and being accurate. As on the Pathologist’s shoulder, the whole treatment is based and even the slightest miscalculation would create a huge problem.
- Good at data analysis and interpretation: Pathology students are expected to possess skills like data analysis and interpretation and also good at communicating the results to the concerned patients.
- Have detailed knowledge of some other subjects: As an aspiring Pathologist, one should have a detailed grasp of subjects like Physiology, Pathophysiology and other Medical Sciences courses.
Also Read : IMAT (International Medical Admission Test) 2021
Wondering about the best books you can refer to for a career in pathology? Here are some of the best books for you:
|Robbins and Kumar Basic Pathology by Vinay Kumar||Buy Here|
|Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease by Kumar||Buy Here|
|Exam Preparatory Manual for Undergraduates Pathology by Ramadas Nayak||Buy Here|
|Review of Pathology and Genetics by Gobind Rai Garg and Sparsh Gupta||Buy Here|
|Concise Pathology for Exam Preparation by Geetika Khanna||Buy Here|
It is not possible to build a career in pathology without medical schools.
Career in pathology is pretty good because of immense job opportunities in hospitals and medical centers
You can get a job as Anatomical pathology technicians, Medical laboratory assistants, Biomedical scientists, etc.
The average salary ranges between Rs. 7,00,000 – 10,00,000
A pathologist’s duration is not fixed. Some pathologists work 40 hours a week and some work more than this.
Career in pathology is 100% positive. There is immense growth in India and abroad.
From investigating common diseases to researching neurological disorders, a career as a Pathologist is incredibly diverse – focusing on areas of diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases. If you are confused about which course is best for you, let Leverage Edu’s revolutionary AI-Tool do it for you. Book your 30 minutes free counselling now!