PhD Biomedical Engineering, also known as Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Engineering, is a three-year doctorate programme in biomedical engineering that can be extended to five years. Tissue Engineering, Molecular or Systems-Level Biology/ Physiology, and Mathematics are all covered in the Biomedical Engineering degree.
Students can investigate the monitoring, treatment, and prevention of a number of medical disorders while taking this course, such as cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, spinal cord injuries, and tumour growth. A master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering is the minimum requirement for admission to this programme. Admission to this programme will be based on counselling after passing admission exams such as GATE and others, as determined by the colleges.
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Engineering|
|Duration||3 – 5 years|
|Minimum Eligibility||Graduation in Biomedical Engineering with a minimum of 55%; colleges may also ask for subject or research-related work experience|
|Admission Process||Application Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Course Fee||India: INR 15,000 – INR 2 Lakhs per year
Abroad: INR 20 – INR 50 Lakhs per year
|Average Annual Salary||India: INR 4,00,000 – INR 11,00,000
Abroad: USD 62,000 – USD 154,000 (INR 47.12 Lakhs to INR 1.17 cr)
|Top Recruiting Companies||Universities, Apollo Hospitals, Johnson & Johnson, Colgate- Palmolive, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Healthcare Scientist, Biomedical Scientist, Analytical Chemist, Clinical Biomedical Engineering, Clinical Research Associate, Forensic Scientist, Physician Associate, Scientific Laboratory Technician, Toxicologist and others.|
This Blog Includes:
- About PhD Biomedical Engineering
- Subjects & Syllabus for PhD Biomedical Engineering
- Top Universities Abroad
- Duration of Biomedical Engineering Courses
- Top Universities in India
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Popular Books for PhD Biomedical Engineering
- Scope of PhD Biomedical Engineering Abroad and in India
- Job Profiles and Salary
- Placement Opportunities
About PhD Biomedical Engineering
The following is specifics regarding the PhD Biomedical Engineering programme:-
- Biomedical engineering entails using engineering ideas and methodologies to describe and address medical and biological problems.
- Tissue Engineering, Molecular or Systems-level Biology/ Physiology, and Mathematics are all part of this PhD programme.
- Graduates of this programme apply their engineering, biology, and medical knowledge to the healthcare and medical device businesses.
- Biology, biological sciences, engineering disciplines, medicine, clinical applications, and human health enhancement are all included in this field.
- Candidates may choose Biomedical Engineering because they want to help people, because they want to work with living systems, and because they want to apply modern technology to difficulties in health care delivery.
- Industry, health care, academia, private laboratories, and government are all good places to look for biomedical engineering jobs.
Subjects & Syllabus for PhD Biomedical Engineering
Although the PhD in Biomedical Engineering programme syllabus differs from each college, it generally comprises a few common core courses from which students can choose according to their interests.
The following table lists the most typical subjects included in a structured PhD Biomedical Engineering curriculum:
- Biomedical Instrumentation
- Biomedical Imaging Systems
- Signal Processing
- Image Processing
- Computer Graphics
- Design of Algorithms and Data Structures
Top Universities Abroad
The following are the top biomedical engineering universities in the world:
|Institute||Country||QS Rankings World University Rankings: 2023|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||USA||1|
|Imperial College London||UK||8|
|Johns Hopkins University||USA||25|
|University of Warwick||UK||62|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||USA||80|
|University of Twente||Netherlands||197|
|Tampere University of Technology||Finland||409|
|University of California- Berkeley||USA||30|
|University of Cambridge||UK||7|
|King’s College London||UK||31|
|National University of Singapore||Singapore||11|
|University of Toronto||Canada||25|
|Queensland University of Technology||Australia||217|
Duration of Biomedical Engineering Courses
You need to know the duration of PhD biomedical engineering. Here’s a table that would help you:
|Other countries||3-6 years|
Top Universities in India
The following are the top institutions for biomedical engineering in India
|Biomedical Engineering Colleges in India||NIRF ranking 2023|
|IIT Madras – Indian Institute of Technology||01|
|IIT Delhi – Indian Institute of Technology||02|
|IIT Bombay – Indian Institute of Technology||03|
|IIT Kharagpur – Indian Institute of Technology||04|
|IIT BHU – Indian Institute of Technology Banaras Hindu University||11|
|VIT Vellore – Vellore Institute of Technology||15|
|Jadavpur University, Kolkata||17|
|Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore||20|
|SRM University Chennai-SRM Institute of Science and Technology||41|
|MIT Manipal – Manipal Institute of Technology||45|
- Students must have earned a Master’s degree in any discipline of engineering or its equivalent from Osmania University or any other equivalent university/recognized institute, with a minimum of 60% in B.E. and M.E./M.Tech.
- Some reputable institutions and universities hold an admissions examination.
International Colleges Eligibility
- A Master’s Degree is necessary in fields like engineering, physics, applied mathematics or computer science.
- Although GRE may not be required, it is preferable to have.
- Most colleges require three letters of recommendation.
- You need to have at least 2 choices on the specialty area of study.
- English proficiency is required(TOEFL/IELTS)
- Fill out the application form on the website of each college
- Enter your details and pay the required fee for the application
- Submit all documents including TOEFL/IELTS scores for International Colleges and GATE/UGC NET scores for Indian Colleges
- If your profile is suitable, appear for an interview when called
- If selected, you will be asked to submit the tuition fee
- Official Transcripts
- Official GRE Scores
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Personal Statement
- On the International Applicant page, international applicants should examine the Language Proficiency criteria.
Popular Books for PhD Biomedical Engineering
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Fundamentals of Biomechanics||Duane V Knudson|
|Biomedical Image Analysis||Rangaraj M Rangayyan|
|Medical Imaging Systems||Albert Macovski|
|Biomedical Instrumentation||R S Khandpur|
|Biomedical Electronics & Instrumentation||G S Sawhney|
Scope of PhD Biomedical Engineering Abroad and in India
- PhD Biomedical Engineers can work in academic institutions as well as in industry and other institutions in high-level research and development jobs.
- PhD holders in Biomedical Engineering seek work in the public and private sectors as Professors, Research and Development Engineers in areas such as Bioinstrumentation, Biomaterials, Biomechanics, Tissue Engineering, or Rehabilitation Engineering, and Consulting Engineers.
- Biomedical Scientists, Healthcare Scientists, Research Scientists (Life Sciences), Analytical Chemists, Clinical Biomedical Engineering, Clinical Research Associate, Forensic Scientists, Physician Associates, Scientific Laboratory Technicians, Toxicologists, and other positions are available to candidates who have completed a PhD in Biomedical Engineering programme.
Job Profiles and Salary
|Job profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary (India)|
|Biomedical Scientist||Biomedical Scientists typically study diseases in a lab. Understand, Diagnose, Treat, and Prevent human diseases. Test effectiveness of various treatments by studying in the lab the various treatments on tissues of patients. Diagnose, manage and prevent new and emerging diseases. Find pre-existing conditions for diseases like cancer and diabetes. Analytical, problem solving and team skills are some of the important skills required.||INR 5 Lakh to INR 8 Lakh|
|Postdoctoral Research Assistant||Design and conduct various experiments based on scientific principles. Assist the research department in various researches. Make sure the research is performed as per the scientific principles and data is recorded properly. Contribute to research analysis and ideas.||INR 3 Lakh – INR 6 Lakh|
|Expert Reviewer||Accept and review research applications in various fields. Shortlist the applications and coordinate the applications which need change. Provide gap analysis to the applications and help the applicants to submit applications as per the requirements. Coordination till the commissioning of the grant.||INR 6 Lakh – INR 10 Lakh|
|Research Scientist||Work at R&D labs on research. Apply for a grant for biomedical engineering research subjects. After receiving the grant, conduct research as per scientific principles. Share the findings in journals and with other scientists.||INR 4.5 Lakh – INR 18 Lakh|
|Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering||Lecture the students on biomedical engineering subjects. Prepare exams and grade the students. Design the curriculum as per the industry requirements.||INR 7.5 Lakh – INR 10 Lakh|
Now that you are enlightened about all the information relevant to this discipline, the following is a list of highly regarded organizations that provide potential jobs to graduates of biological engineering:
- Johnson & Johnson.
- KLS Martin.
- Philips Healthcare.
- Samsung Healthcare.
- Siemens Healthineers.
- Skanray Healthcare.
The following are the top universities abroad for biomedical engineering:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Imperial College of London
Biomedical engineering entails using engineering ideas and methodologies to describe and address medical and biological problems.
The average salary of biomedical engineer in India is between 3.6 Lakh to 4 Lakh.
The scope after a PhD in Biomedical Engineering is immense. But you should consult experts at Leverage Edu to help you with the application process and help you stand out from the competition!