Taxes are essentially levied by government organisations in order to be utilised for funding public expenditures. For those aspiring for a career in commerce stream, the field of Accounting and Taxation is particularly alluring if you are good at calculations and are interested in how the financial aspects of an economy work. After completing an undergraduate degree like Bcom, if you find yourself inclined towards gaining a specialisation in the diverse sub-fields of Commerce, then you must consider pursuing a diploma in Taxation. Through this blog, we will walk through the key features of this diploma programme, eligibility requirements you need to fulfil to apply for it as well as top universities you can choose from.
Must Read: BAT Course
This Blog Includes:
Generally offered as a one-year programme, Diploma in Taxation can be pursued in either full-time or distance mode. Amongst the varied diploma courses after graduation, it is a specialised one that aims to prepare students for the lucrative job profiles of accountants and tax law specialists. Studying this program, you will be imparted with the basics of Income Tax, Direct and Indirect Taxes, Tax laws at the national and international level as well as the know-how of financial accounting and management. Further, this diploma can also work as an incredible career booster for those who are already working at the entry-level profile in the field of Taxation and Accounting.
Related Read: Accounting Courses
A Diploma in Taxation is usually of one year, dividing it into two semesters. Given below are the subjects and topics taught under the course:
- Income Tax
- Indirect Taxes
- Financial Taxes and Analysis
- Advance tax- Assessment procedures and Provisions
- Computation of Total Income and Determination of Tax Liability
- Organisation and Management
- Computer Application and Introduction to Tally
- EDP, MIS & Computerized Reports
- Communication Skills
- Internal Control – Evaluation, Measures And Techniques
- Principles of Auditing
- Internal Audit and External Audit
Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Taxation
Before pursuing this diploma program, it is essential for aspirants to qualify for the provided eligibility criteria which can mainly differ as per the course and university. Below, we have elucidated the basic prerequisites that are commonly asked from those applying for a diploma in Taxation:
- The general requirement for a Diploma in Taxation is that the aspirant must have completed their 10+2 higher secondary education from a recognised board and institution.
- For those opting for this programme after graduation, the eligibility criteria may vary as the undergraduate degree required is usually in the domain of commerce or law though a few universities also accept the graduates from Arts or Science stream but with a practical experience of one year or the basic knowledge of accounting and taxation.
- Language proficiency exams such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc.
- Lucrative admission essays, LORs and SOP may also be needed and the university might also conduct their own entrance exams to screen candidates.
Know All About: How To Become Income Tax Officer?
Top Universities Offering Diploma in Taxation
There are numerous universities who provide Diploma/Certificate Courses for Taxation and Accounting and their related variants. Below we have listed some of the prominent academic institutions across the globe that you must consider for studying a Diploma in Taxation:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Porto Business School, Portugal
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Canada
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- University of Sydney, Australia
- University of New South Wales, Australia
- Victoria University, Australia
- The University of Melbourne, Australia
Diploma in Taxation is a great option for those interested in exploring this specialised field irrespective of what they have studied in graduation. Since it is a short term program with the flexibility of doing it full-time or in distance mode, it is a perfect one for working professionals as well. Further, if you are at an entry-level position in the domain of Finance and Accounting, you can boost your career prospects through this course as well. Subsequent to the completion, the aspirant can explore better career opportunities in accounting, law, banking and commerce fields. Some of the major career prospects after a Diploma in Taxation have been given a rundown below:
- Tax Consultant
- Assistant Tax Auditor
- Tax Accountant
- Tax Policy Analyst
- Accounting Manager
- Executive Assistant Manager
- Tax Collector
- Revenue Agents
Also Read: List of Top Diploma Courses
Diploma in Taxation is a one-year program that focusses on Income Tax, Direct and Indirect Taxes, Tax laws.
Diploma in Taxation has a duration of 1-year.
Assistant Tax Auditor
Tax Policy Analyst
Executive Assistant Manager
Hence, opting for a Diploma in Taxation, you can delve deeper into the study of how a multitude of taxes work and play their incremental role in an economy. If you are aspiring to pursue a program in Accounting and Taxation but are confused about the right one, let our Leverage Edu experts assist you in finding a suitable course and university that aligns with your interests, preferences and aspirations and can equip you with the necessary exposure to sail towards a rewarding career!