Becoming a doctor or pursuing a medical degree not only requires hard work but also demands commitment, focus, and a vision to achieve the set goals. The role of a university or medical college is vital in shaping your future. Hence, it is important that you know about all kinds of medical colleges out there. Do you know what are pre-med universities and what kind of courses do they offer? The pre-med courses help dedicated students to stay focused on their targets right after class 12th. Through this blog, we will be knowing the ongoing trend of best pre-med colleges in India and the popular programs they have on offer!
Must Read: Best Govt Medical Colleges in India
This Blog Includes:
What is Pre-Med?
Pre-med colleges seem to be a new medical terminology for you all but actually, it is not at all a new thing globally. Pre-med colleges or universities are widely famous and spread across countries like the USA and Canada. It has started gaining momentum here in India slowly as well. Before finding out about the best pre-med colleges in India, let us dive into our actual question which is what are pre-med colleges? As the name itself explains the meaning of the term, a pre-med college is a medical college or institution or a university which offers future medical students a basic four-year undergraduate program.
These pre-med courses or programs are specially built for those who know their vision and goals to become a medicine/medical practitioner in future. The term ‘pre-med’ is just used by students or people to let others know that they are planning or have plans to become a doctor. Hence if you have a clear goal to pursue your MBBS in Canada, MBBS in Australia or MBBS in USA or any other foreign country, then a pre-med course at the best pre-med colleges in India, which is globally recognised and accepted rather than your normal MBBS degree and will better align your goals and vision to pursue higher education in abroad.
The major subjects and courses that are taught at the best pre-med colleges are as follows:
- 1 year of biology + lab
- 1 year of physics + lab
- 1 year of general chemistry + lab
- 1 year of organic chemistry + lab
- 1 or 2 semesters of mathematics covering topics like calculus, statistics and more
- 1 year of English
- Courses and pieces of training which are necessary for MCAT preparation
Best Pre-Med Colleges in India
As mentioned above, the pre-med college and pre-med courses are recently gaining momentum in India as well. A pre-med course or degree is also globally recognised and accepted especially in countries like the USA and Canada.
Recently, Xavier University, which was founded in the year 2013 and is based in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India has partnered with 4 best medical colleges or institutions in India to offer the best-pre med course in India at the best pre-med colleges in India to future doctors and medical practitioners of the country. These medical institutions are:
- Nehru Group of Institutions (NIG) which was established in 1968 and is based in Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. The institution is renowned for its undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs in different fields of study and especially medical sciences, nursing and paramedical sciences.
- Paavai Institutions which is based in Pachal, Namakkal, in the state of Tamil Nadu and was established in 2004. It is famous for its courses and programs in different fields of study including Paramedical Science, Nursing, Pharmacy etc.
- HAMSA Homeopathy Medical College Hospital & Research Centre is a homoeopathic based medical research centre in Telangana which is famous and known for its extensive research base in the field of medicine and homoeopathy treatment which is stated as the scientific art of healing.
- St.Francis College For Women in Hyderabad, Telangana. It is a Catholic minority institution which was established in 1959 and has a plethora of courses, especially their PG Diploma programs in across 9 different streams or fields of study, including physician assistant, clinical and applied nutrition, chemistry etc.
Explore: Cheapest Medical Colleges in India
List of Other Top Medical Colleges in India
|Universities/Colleges||Location||NIRF Rankings 2020|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)||New Delhi||1|
|Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research||Chandigarh||2|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore||3|
|National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences||Bangalore||4|
|Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences||Lucknow||5|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||6|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||Coimbatore||7|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research||Puducherry||8|
|Kasturba Medical College||Manipal||9|
|King George’s Medical University||Lucknow||10|
|Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences||New Delhi||11|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai||12|
|Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Chennai||13|
|St Johns Medical College||Bangalore||14|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||15|
Must Read: Top Medical Colleges in India
Xavier University along with the above-mentioned renowned and recognised universities in India have partnered together to offer the students their best, globally recognised and acceptable pre-med course via the Doctor of Medicine Program. It is indeed a wonderful initiative that the collaboration of these 5 universities has thought of to bring internally acclaimed pre-med programs in India at the best pre-med colleges in India. The program highlights for this pre-med course is as follows:
- Study for 1.5 years at one of the above-mentioned partner universities and best pre-med colleges in India
- Study for 2 years in Aruba at Xavier University School of Medicine
- Full United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) review course
- Medical Council of India or MCI Exam preparations and review course
- Chance of getting 2 years of clinical rotations in the USA and Canada
- Admissions will be on basis of class 12th marks, along with equivalent tests and interviews
- Scholarships are available too.
(BONUS) List of Best Pre-Med Colleges Abroad
- Harvard University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Duke University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Columbia University
- Washington University in St. Louis
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Cornell University
- Rice University
- Stanford University
- Northwestern University
- Brown University
- Amherst College
- Case Western Reserve University
- Georgetown University
Also Read: Best Medical Colleges in USA
This was all about the best pre-med colleges in India. Apart from being highly acceptable and acclaimed in the USA and Canada, pre-med programs are slowly gaining momentum in India too. Know much more about pre-med, medical courses abroad and entrances from our Leverage Edu experts. Book your free session right now!!