Are you someone who finds yourself frequently observing the architecture of different places? Are you passionate about the building around you? Do you feel that you have sharp instincts when it comes to architecture? If you agree, then a Diploma in Architecture might do wonders for you. Read the complete blog to know how pursuing the listed courses can transform your interest into an awesome career.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Diploma in Architecture?
- Why Study Diploma in Architecture?
- Role of an Architect
- Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Architecture
- Entrance Exams for Diploma in Architecture
- Diploma in Architecture: Course Highlights
- Diploma in Architecture: Top Institutes in India
- Admission Process for Diploma in Architecture
- Diploma in Architecture: Syllabus and Course
- List of Diplomas in Architecture
- Advanced Diploma of Building Design (Architectural)
- Diploma in Building Design Management (Standard)
- Higher National Certificate in Interior Architecture
- Advanced Diploma of Building Surveying
- Architectural Technology
- New Zealand Diploma in Architectural Technology
- International Diploma in Landscaping
- Advanced Diploma in Professional Practice in Architecture
- Diploma in Architecture: Top Institutes Abroad
- Recommended Books for Diploma in Architecture
- Job Profile & Future Scope after Diploma in Architecture
What is Diploma in Architecture?
A diploma in architecture is a 1-2 year course available across the world. You can be qualified to be called an architect after completing your degree in the field. After that, you’ll be eligible to apply to architectural job positions or you may start your own practice, which is more popular in this field. Professional architects enjoy a pretty good salary too and as you start climbing up the professional ladder, there is no limit to what you can achieve and that is the beauty of this field. To become an Architect, interested candidates need to have a rational and artistic bent of mind along with problem-solving abilities. The career scope is tremendous with the flourishing construction sector. A qualified graduate has an option to choose their line of work from areas ranging from consultants to architectural designers.
Why Study Diploma in Architecture?
- In our daily lives, a partnership is given a lot of importance. The architecture provide you with the chance to work with a number of culturally diverse people and understand their perspectives of things. Construction and design of buildings require inputs from a number of people and this is exactly why choosing a degree in architecture helps. A large number of group projects gives you the learnings that you need.
- Nobody has ever been able to achieve great results in their initial moments of learning. Only after multiple attempts and constant practice does perfection come along. Architecture courses will provide you with the opportunity to practice in abundance alongside people who are like-minded about things.
- The course is ideal for students who have interest in construction related works and building design along with technical and analytical capabilities. The course not only focuses on therotical knowledge but also focuses on practical skills.
Role of an Architect
As an Architect, you can design new buildings, create new-fangled Spaces, conserve and restore buildings and embark upon many such interesting and creative ventures. You can take charge of projects right from their conception and feel the joy of leading the projects to its final stage of completion. Consequently, the roles and responsibilities of an architect are:
- Creating designs with detailed drawings.
- Preparing presentations and proposals to pitch them to the clients.
- Turning up for a business meeting with the contractors, clients, etc. after having done all the preparations.
- Maintaining efficient communication and proper coordination.
- Providing your valuable feedback regarding the project.
- Visiting the site regularly to check progress. Also, making sure that the projects are completed in time.
- Apply your Problem-solving skills to deal with things when they go wrong.
If these roles appeal to you and there is a longing to work in this sector, check out the list of best options to pursue a Diploma in Architecture that follows.
Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Architecture
Every university has different eligibility criteria to be fulfilled by students. Here are some of the common requirements:
- Students must have cleared class 10+2 from recognized university
- IELTS/PTE/TOEFL scores are required to study abroad for non-native speakers of English.
- GMAT or GRE scores, depending upon what is acceptable at the university.
Entrance Exams for Diploma in Architecture
If you are planning to study in India, you have to appear for different entrance exams accepted at the university. Here are some of the popular entrance exams:
- AP POLYCET
- DELHI CET
- TS POLYCET
Also Read: Pursue Masters in Architecture from Canada
Diploma in Architecture: Course Highlights
Tabulated below for your reference are the course highlights for Diploma in Architecture.
|Level of Course||Certification/ Diploma|
|Duration of Course||3 Years|
|Eligibility||Students who have passed Class 10 examinations with a minimum 55% aggregate, from a recognised board|
|Course Fee||Ranging from INR 8,000 to 85,000|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based, Merit-based(Some institutions may look at candidate’s graduation marks as well)|
|Job Positions||Assistant Architect, Teacher, Layout Designer, Building Designer|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 10,000 to 15,000 per month|
Diploma in Architecture: Top Institutes in India
Tabulated below for your reference are the top institute for Diploma in Architecture in India.
|Name of Institute||Location||Average Fee|
|ACN College of Polytechnic||Aligarh||INR 19,667|
|Cochin Technical College||Kochi||INR 14,400|
|Gautam Girls Polytechnic||Hamirpur||INR 15,000|
|Deogarh Institute of Technology||Deogarh||INR 12,000|
|Aryabhatt Polytechnic||Delhi||INR 10,500|
|Academy of Architecture||Mumbai||INR 8,000|
Admission Process for Diploma in Architecture
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kickstart their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
Diploma in Architecture: Syllabus and Course
The course of the Diploma in Architecture is spread over a duration of three years. The details relatedto the syllabus are tabulated below for your reference.
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Strength of Material||Interior and Exterior Design||Foundation Design|
|Mathematics||Construction Project Management||Estimations, Costing and Specifications|
|Civil Draftsmen and Architecture||Building Construction||Concrete Technology|
|Business Communication||Structural Engineering||Elective Subject|
|Information Technology||Architectural Design||Project|
List of Diplomas in Architecture
Following is a list of choicest diplomas in Architecture that can help you construct an excellent Architecture career:
Advanced Diploma of Building Design (Architectural)
Signing up for an advanced diploma course in Building Design will help you move beyond 3D design by focusing more on technical and practical applications of designing. It deals with creating innovative yet sustainable designs for commercial building projects. This course is offered by the Swinburne University of Technology with a duration of two years. It can be pursued on a full-time basis in English. It is also offered by the Federation University Australia as a regular certificate/diploma program with 30 days course duration.
Diploma in Building Design Management (Standard)
Western University Sydney offers a Diploma in Architecture specializing in Design Management. The coursework is intended to be like a mix of theory with practicals. It’s a one-year Diploma that can be completed on a full-time basis in English.
Higher National Certificate in Interior Architecture
Kensington and Chelsea College in London offer the Diploma in Architecture. It is an exciting program that can be considered as an equivalent of the first year in a degree course. Colour theory, technical drawing, electrical specifications, building regulations, sketching and professional practice are some key features of this program.
Advanced Diploma of Building Surveying
Building surveyors are vital to check the safety and security of any Residential, Industrial and Commercial construction. So, this two-year Diploma offered by Victoria University can help you build your career in plan assessment, inspection, and related fields.
This Diploma in Architecture provides a wide view of Architecture through a scientific lens. It deals with the application of construction science as a problem solver for related issues. Personnel can further make a career in material manufacturing, construction engineering and residential contracting areas. A 2-year long course for the same is offered by the University of Wales Trinity Saint David.
New Zealand Diploma in Architectural Technology
Want to work in New Zealand or Australia? Then this course by Ara Institute of Canterbury can be your gateway to working in Architecture firms of your dream country. It would help you to get your hands laid on skills like communication, sound construction detailing and building technology.
International Diploma in Landscaping
Landscape designing is an exciting extension of Architecture that offers great job opportunities to students. A diploma course in Landscaping includes designing the landscape surrounding a building, house or office, etc. The course combines nature and architecture to create spaces that are aesthetically pleasing as well as functionally adroit. This Diploma is offered by Manukau Institute of Technology.
Advanced Diploma in Professional Practice in Architecture
The University of Westminster offers a Diploma in Architecture which can be 12 to 24 months long in duration depending upon the option taken by students. Candidates with a bachelors degree can apply for the course. Key features of this program are financial management, market briefing, plan of work for various building and construction sector.
Diploma in Architecture: Top Institutes Abroad
|Name of College/ University||Course Offered||Location||1st Year Total Fees|
|Humber College||Advanced Diploma in Architectural Technology||Toronto, Canada||Rs. 18.8 lakhs|
|Fanshawe College||Advanced Diploma in Architectural Technology||London||Rs. 16.1 lakhs|
|George Brown College||Dilpoma in Architectural Technician||Toronto, Canada||Rs. 16.8 lakhs|
|Republic Polytechnic||Diploma in Green Building Energy Management||Singapore||Rs. 18.5 lakhs|
|St. Clair College||Advanced Diploma in Architectural Technology||Windsor, Canada||Rs. 14.0 lakhs|
Recommended Books for Diploma in Architecture
There are plenty of books available in the market. Here are some of the best books for revision and preparation during exams:
- Ultimate AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate 2021 by Harry Thomas
- Why Buildings Stand Up: The Strength of Architecture by Mario Salvador
- The LEGO Architect by Tom Alphi
- Experiencing Architecture by Steen Eiler Rasmussen
Job Profile & Future Scope after Diploma in Architecture
Personnel working in the field of Architecture require to design models, coordinate with fellow construction workers, settling projects, planning of town, etc. Candidates get lucrative salaries and excellent exposure after completing the Bachelor of Architecture program. A plethora of jobs are available for fresh graduates with this diploma, given below are some of them:
- Civil Engineer
- Landscape Architect
- Highway Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Landscape Engineer
- Building Contractor& Researcher
- Architectural Historian
- Land Developer
- Architectural Engineer
These are the top Architecture companies in India are:
Architect Hafeez Contractor.
C.P. Kukreja Associates.
Somaya & Kalappa Consultants.
Oscar & Ponni Architects.
Kembhavi Architecture Foundation.
Students who pursue architecture must be good at drawing and must know the basics of sketching.
In the United States, the average annual wage for architects is $89,560. On a nationwide level, the average salary for architects has gradually climbed year after year. Architects earned an average yearly pay of $87,500 in 2017, $88,860 in 2018, and $89,560 in 2019.
If you feel zealous about a job in this sector and you think that there is nothing more interesting than building designs or roadmaps of buildings then you must consider pursuing a diploma in Architecture. We at Leverage Edu can help you with a push in this direction by providing guidance on how to apply at the best universities for the same. Call us at +91-8826200293 for any advice pertaining to your career.