Teaching is still considered as one of the most prestigious jobs and has a reputation for being one of the well-respected jobs. If you are attracted towards academia and are planning to continue your research in any field, then becoming a professor is one of the best jobs that will offer you that opportunity. If you are passionate about teaching, conducting research and disseminating ideas and knowledge, then you should definitely take up the job of teaching in a college or a university. If you want to know about how to become a professor, then this blog will be of great use for you.
How to Become a Professor- Eligibility
- Becoming a professor is not an easy task, one needs to have a good academic background and their record should reflect their area of research and their contribution to that particular field.
- In most cases, professors usually have a doctorate degree in the field that they are teaching, in order to get a job at a reputed college or university you need to have a doctorate degree in a particular field in order to become a professor.
- Most colleges hire students who are still pursuing their PhD as assistant professors which also helps them pursue their research while teaching at the same time. If you are planning to become a professor in India then you need to clear your National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the University Grants Commission which acts as a qualifying exam for you to pursue your PhD.
- Another important stepping stone on your path to how to become a professor is the research conducted by you in a particular field. A good university looks for a candidate who is thorough with his research and has published research papers and articles on the same. Any good college or university looks for a scholar who has devoted their time to academia.
- Another thing that you need to keep in mind is that one is not directly offered the post of a professor, a person is usually appointed as an assistant professor who is further promoted to the post of associate professor and when the person has finally gained adequate experience and spent their time in academia, they are promoted to the post of a professor.
What Does the Job Entail?
- Becoming a professor is not just about teaching in a good college or a university, the job comes with much more than taking classes for students. Although the purpose of being a professor is to conduct classes and hold discussions in a classroom on a particular topic, that’s not where the job of a professor ends.
- A professor is also expected to develop a course plan and help in updating the curriculum and design a course by providing insights from their areas of expertise.
- A professor is also expected to hold conferences and seminars, participate in conferences and continue working in their field of research. Some professors are also expected to finish research projects as a part of their job in certain private and government universities.
- If you are really passionate about academia and are planning to stick to it, then being a professor will not only give you the freedom of doing that but at the same time pay you for doing the same. A professor who is through with their research and has good experience in teaching can land a well-paying job with a lot of perks by their side.
- Some professors are also expected to be a part of the administration of a particular university and take administrative positions such as Head of Departments, supervising the department and the work taking place there.
Also Read: MA in Education
Choosing the right career is an important decision to make and one needs to be sure about what they want to build their career in. If you are unsure about whether a specific career path is suited for you, don’t stress. The experts at Leverage Edu can help you come to a decision with the help of brainstorming sessions and psychometric tests.