Masters in Canada have been a popular choice amongst Indian students. A fast-paced postgraduate program with a co-op option so that you can work and study simultaneously is a win-win for any student wanting to study in Canada. The University of British Columbia is one of the best colleges in Canada with masters available in Medicine, Sciences, Arts, Education, Commerce, Forestry, Food Systems and what not! Let’s learn about all the UBC masters programs that you can pursue in this blog!
Know more about how Diwali is celebrated in Canada
This Blog Includes:
Why Study at UBC?
So, why should you pick the University of British Columbia out of all the universities in Canada? What makes grad school at UBC unique isn’t just the variety of masters specialisation it offers but the following key facts that will make you add UBC to the list of your dream university:-
- Huge Campuses: UBC doesn’t believe in overcrowding the campuses or even limiting the number of students they accept. Therefore, they have two huge campuses- one in Vancouver and the other in Okanagan.
- Research That Gives Results: More than 235 companies have been born out of research conducted at the University of British Columbia.
- Diverse Student Population: More than 48% of the students here are from outside of Canada. The atmosphere for international students is very welcoming here.
- Sustainability: UBC is truly a green university as it ranks highly on UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. The buildings on the Okanagan campus are heated and cooled through groundwater.
- Strong Alumni Network: 8 Nobel Laureates, 3 Canadian prime ministers, 63 Olympic winners and 71 Rhodes scholars are a part of more than 370,000 alumni network.
And if that’s not convincing enough for you, hear this! The Kryptonian language that you hear in the Superman movie ‘Man of the Steel’ was created by Christine Schreyer, an associate professor of Anthropology on UBC’s Okanagan campus!
List of University of British Columbia Masters Courses
One thing the University of British Columbia boasts about is its High-Performance diverse master’s programs. Have a look at some of the most popular University of British Columbia masters programs for international students:
- Master of Education in Adult Learning and Education
- Master of Engineering Leadership in Advanced Materials Manufacturing
- Master of Architecture and Master of Landscape Architecture
- Master of Education in Art Education
- Master of Arts in Art History
- Master of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Management
- Master of Business Analytics
- Master of Engineering in Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Civil Engineering
- Master of Engineering Leadership in Clean Energy Engineering
- Master of Health Leadership and Policy in Clinical Education
- Master of Education in Counselling Psychology
- Master of Education in Curriculum Studies
- Master of Data Science
- Master of Data Science- Computational Linguistics
- Master of Engineering Leadership in Dependable Software
- Master of Digital Media
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
- Master of Education in Educational Administration and Leadership
- Master of Education in Education Studies
- Master of Engineering in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Master of Food and Resource Economics
- Master of Food Science
- Master of Sustainable Forest Management
- Master of Science in Genetic Counselling
- Master of Engineering in Geological Engineering
- Master of International Forestry
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management
- Master of Health Administration
- Mater of Health Science
- Master of Education in Health, Outdoor and Physical Education
- Master of Engineering Leadership in High-Performance Buildings
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Master of Education in Home Economics Education
- Master of Education in Human Development, Learning and Culture
- Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Master of Engineering Leadership in Integrated Water Management
- Master of Kinesiology
- Master of Land and Water Systems
- Master of Landscape Architecture
- LLM (Common Law)
- LLM in Taxation
- Master of Education in Literacy Education
- Master of Education in Mathematics Education
- Master of Education in Measurement, Evaluation and Research Methodology
- Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Mechatronics Design
- Master of Education in Media and Technology Studies Education
- Master of Engineering in Mining Engineering
- Master of Education in Modern Languages Education
- Master of Education in Music Education
- Master of Engineering in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Master of Engineering Leadership in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Master of Nursing- Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Physical Therapy
- Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs
- Master of Education in School and Applied Child Psychology
- Master of Education in Science Education
- Master of Health Leadership and Policy in Seniors Care
- Master of Education in Social Studies Education
- Master of Education in Society, Culture and Politics in Education
- Master of Education in Special Education
- Master of Engineering Leadership in Sustainable Process Engineering
- Master of Education in Teaching English as a Second Language
- Master of Urban Design
- Master of Engineering Leadership in Urban Systems
- Master of Fine Arts in Visual Arts
- Master of Archival Studies
- Master of Science in Atmospheric Science
- Master of Science in Botany
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Arts in Economics
- Master of Arts in English
- Master of Forestry
- Master of Arts in French
- Master of Arts in Geography
- Master of Journalism
- Master of Arts in Linguistics
- Master of Arts in Philosophy
- Master of Arts in Planning
- Master of Science in Statistics
- Master of Science in Oceanography
- Master of Science in Mathematics
- Master of Science in Nursing
UBC Masters Courses Acceptance Rate
UBC masters courses are very competitive because the university wants to ensure a strong potential in every applicant through his/her academic performance and personality. Here’s the breakdown of the UBC masters courses acceptance rate under the admission data 2021:-
University of British Columbia Requirements for Masters
If you are an Indian undergraduate student who wants to study in Canada, especially masters at UBC, you are required to have:
- A 4-years bachelors’ degree or a master’s degree from a reputed university specific to your choice of masters
- IELTS– 6.5 or TOEFL– 90 as proof of English proficiency
- All academic transcripts in the English language
- GRE for some masters programs and GMAT for MBA
- Statement of Purpose
- Minimum 3 letters of recommendation
- Submission essays, if asked by the university
- Portfolio (if required)
Note: These are the minimum requirements for all masters programs at the University of British Columbia. However, there will be certain course-specific requirements that you will have to fulfil before you apply.
UBC Masters Programs Application Process
The application process of any university is lengthy and therefore requires you to be alert at all times for updates. We’ve curated an easy-to-understand guide for you while you apply for the UBC masters to let your stress rest!
- Go to the University of British Columbia website and choose what you’d like to pursue from the master’s programs. Why don’t you try our AI Course Finder and get a course in just a few moments?
- Once you have decided on the course, go to the course website and note down all the academic requirements.
- Give your English and aptitude tests before you fill out the application.
- Go to the UBC online portal, pay an application fee and register yourself for the master’s course.
- Attach all the documents required and submit your application.
- The processing time for the master’s application can be anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks.
- Be attentive to new alerts or updates regarding the application.
- If accepted, you will be given a letter of acceptance which you will have to formally accept within a deadline.
- You can start preparing for your Canadian study permit, accommodations and scholarships now.
- Once you have your Canadian visa on you, all you have to do is book your flight to Canada and viola, in no time you will be at your dream university!
University of British Columbia Fees for Masters
The cost of studying for UBC masters programs includes two types of costs, i.e., the cost of studying or tuition fees and the cost of living. While the cost of studying at UBC is a one-time expense, the cost of living is a recurring cost required to survive in Canada. Here’s the cost of studying for UBC masters courses:
|Type of Cost||Average Expenses (INR)|
|Tuition Fee||6.63 lakhs-15.07 lakhs|
|Canada Study Permit||11,207|
Here’s the cost of living while you are studying at the UBC in Canada:
|Type of Cost||Average Expenses (INR)|
|Accommodation (studio apartment, on-campus)||8.65 lakhs per year|
|Food||19,470 per month|
|Transport||2600 per month|
|Textbooks (depends on course)||33,160 per year|
|Entertainment||4800 per month|
|Mobile phone bills||2712 per month|
UBC Masters Scholarships
There are two types of scholarships for the ones pursuing UBC masters programs which are:
- Merit-Based: Merit-based scholarships are automatically awarded if the admission committee finds your college application of extreme academic value.
- Application-Based: On the other hand, application-based scholarships mean that if you are accepted for a masters degree at UBC, you can apply to one of their awards if eligible. Some examples of application-based scholarships are:
- Globalink Graduate Fellowship
- Affiliated Fellowships Master’s Program
- Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program
- Kathryn Huget Leadership Award
- Queen Elizabeth Scholarships
Learn more about Scholarships in Canada for Indian Students 2022!
Masters programs at UBC have both taught and research options.
UBC masters are taught at both Vancouver and Okanagan campuses.
The cost of living per month at UBC is INR 1.04 lakhs.
Depending on the course, masters at UBC can be 10 months to 2 years long.
A Canadian Study Permit is required for masters at UBC.
At the Vancouver campus, 36.7% of masters students are from international backgrounds.
Master at UBC is a great option with diverse fields and academic excellence. But the journey from India to Canada is not as easy as just taking a flight! Figuring English tests, courses, visas and scholarships all at once can be overwhelming! But hold on, what if you have a buddy who can help you throughout the process? That’s where Leverage Educomes into the picture! Call us at 1800-572-000 and book your free counselling session now!