Canada is one of the most preferred study destinations and hosts more than 4 lakh international students every year. Due to its student-friendly policies, scores of international students apply to universities in the country but the competition makes it tough to get their dream admit. One of the crucial factors of any study abroad application is the submission of the right documents. Even a stellar student’s profile can get rejected due to wrong or incomplete documents. That’s why we have prepared a checklist of the documents required for admission in Canada.
This Blog Includes:
Important Documents for Admission in Canadian Universities
Once you have chosen which course to study and shortlisted the universities, the next step is applying for admission. But before that, you need to collect certain documents that will help you ease the process.
- Marksheets and Transcripts: You must have your education records starting from Class 10th to the highest level of education
- English Proficiency Test Result: As an Indian citizen, it is important to provide proof of English proficiency. You can take one of the following exams and keep the results for further use:
- Updated Resume: You must have an updated resume that includes all your academic records, professional experience, skills, goals, etc
- Proof of Funds: Under this, you need to provide proof that you have enough funds to cover the first year of your graduate studies in Canada. This includes but is not limited to tuition fees, living expenses, books, travel, etc
- Educational Credential Assessment: This works as is proof that your foreign degree/ diploma/ certificate is valid and equal to a Canadian degree
Also Read: Canada Student Visa IELTS Band Requirements
Course Specific Documents Required to Study in Canada
Now that you are aware of the general requirements to apply to a university, you must know that there are certain document requirements that depend on the type of course you are applying for.
- High School Certificate/ Diploma
- Statement of Purpose: Depends on the university you are applying
- Letter of Recommendation from Professors
- SAT Scores, if needed
- Graduation Certificate
- GRE Score- General or Subject-wise, depending on your course
- Statement of Purpose- Depends on your course of study and the university you apply
- 2 Academic Letters of Recommendation
Also Read: Why Study Masters in Canada?
- Graduation Certificate
- GMAT Score Card (Some Canadian universities accept GRE Score as an alternative to GMAT Score)
- Updated resume with at least 2-3 years of work experience mentioned
- Essay: This is based on the admission essay questions provided by your chosen university
- 2 Professional Letter of Recommendation
Documents Required for Canadian Visa
Once you have taken admission to the university of your choice, the next step is to apply for a student visa. Without a study visa, you cannot enter the country and might fail to attend your school on campus. Hence, it is important that you keep all the documents ready that are required for a Canadian Visa.
- A Letter of Acceptance from a designated learning institution of post-secondary learning
- Transcripts of recent secondary or post-secondary qualifications
- Language Test Scores: IELTS 6.0 or higher in each section (reading, listening, writing and speaking), or Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score of 7.0 or higher in each section (reading, listening, writing and speaking) which is equal to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)
- Proof of payment of first-year tuition fees
- At the time of application of obtaining a Canada Visa, the candidate must be living outside Canada.
- A medical exam before applying (if needed)
- Police Certificate before applying (if needed)
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN $10,000
- Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion-issued Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) (if you are planning to study in Quebec)
- Either a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a Visitor Visa
Also Read: How to get a Canada Student Permit?
Covid-19 Specific Documents
While all the documents required for admission in Canada have been the same for many years, there are some Covid-19 essentials as well.
- If you are fully vaccinated, you must take the proof with you to Canada to show the Border Services Officer.
- You need to obtain a Negative Covid-19 Molecular Test from a third country before continuing your journey to Canada.
- You must submit your travel, destination and quarantine plan to ArriveCAN.
Now that you are aware of the documents required for admission in Canada, you can start preparing your application. Need help with finalising your university application to study in Canada? Connect with our Leverage Edu experts today and we will provide you with end-to-end support from preparing your documents to getting you into the top schools of the country. Call us on 1800 57 2000 or book your FREE counselling session now!