Concordia University is one of the most prominent universities in Canada. If you want to pursue a graduation program from Canada, then you can consider Concordia University. The institute offers more than 200 graduate programs, diplomas and certificates. In this blog, we aim to help you get to know about Concordia University graduate programs and their admissions process.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study at Concordia University?
- Reasons to Study at Concordia University?
- Concordia University Graduate Programs
- Concordia University Admission Process
- Supporting Documents Required for Admission
- Cost of Admission in Concordia University
- Application Deadline
- Deadlines for Additional Program Requirements
Why Study at Concordia University?
Started in 1974, Concordia University has evolved into an advanced, next-generation university. It was rated as the best institution of higher education in Canada less than 5 decades old by two recently released rankings.
- Best university in North America under 50 years old (THE Young University Rankings, 2020)
- The second most Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) grants among comprehensive universities in Canada (Maclean’s University Rankings, 2020)
- Second in Canada for art and design (top 100 worldwide), fourth for communication and media studies and sixth for architecture and built environment (top 150 worldwide) (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2020)
- Among the top 500 universities in the world overall (QS World University Rankings, 2020)
- Among Canada’s top 25 research universities (Research Infosource, 2019)
Reasons to Study at Concordia University?
- Popular among students: 9600+ graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from 150 countries
- Diverse graduate programs and courses available
- International students friendly: 53% of total graduate students are international students
- Research-oriented: $55.9 million in research revenue ( INR 415 crores)
- Prestigious: 230,000 alumni around the world
Also Read: MBA in Canada
Concordia University Graduate Programs
Concordia offers more than 120 Concordia University graduate programs that lead to master’s, doctoral, diploma and certificate degrees including 1 years course programs to 2-3 years thesis programs.
A list of all the programs offered by the university is below:
|Adult Education (GrDip)||Humanities (PhD)|
|Aerospace Engineering (MEng)||Individualized Program (MA,MSc & PhD)|
|Applied Linguistics (MA)||Industrial Engineering (MASc, MEng &PhD)|
|Art Education (MA and PhD)||Information and Systems Engineering (PhD)|
|Art History (MA and PhD)||Information Systems Security (MASc, MEng)|
|Art Therapy, Creative Arts Therapies (MA)||Instructional Technology (GrDip)|
|Biology (MSc& PhD)||Journalism (GrDip)|
|Biotechnology and Genomics (GrDip)||Judaic Studies (MA)|
|Building Engineering (Grad. Cert., MASc, MEng, PhD)||Management (MSc)|
|Business Administration (Grad. Cert., Gr Dip, PhD)||Marketing (MSc)|
|Chartered Professional Accountancy (CPA) (GrDip)||Mathematics and Statistics (MA, MSc, PhD)|
|Chemical Engineering (Grad. Cert., Gr Dip, MSc, PhD)||MBA|
|Chemistry (MSc & PhD)||MBA (Executive)|
|Child Studies (MA)||MBA (Investment Management)|
|Civil Engineering (MASc, MEng & PhD)||Mechanical Engineering (Grad. Cert., MASc, MEng& PhD)|
|Communication (PhD)||Media Studies (MA)|
|Communication Studies (GrDip)||Microprogramme en didactique et linguistique pour l’enseignement du français langue seconde (Grad. Cert.)|
|Community Economic Development (GrDip)||Music Therapy (GrDip)|
|Computer Science (GrDip, MApCompSc, MCompSc & PhD)||Music Therapy, Creative Arts Therapies (MA)|
|Construction Engineering and Management (MEng)||Philosophy (MA)|
|Design (MDes)||Physics (MSc, PhD)|
|Développement économique communautaire (dipl. 2e c.)||Play Therapy (Grad. Cert.)|
|Digital Innovation in Journalism Studies (MA)||Political Science (MA & PhD)|
|Drama Therapy, Creative Arts Therapies (MA)||Psychology (MA & PhD)|
|Economics (GrDip, MA, PhD)||Public Policy and Public Administration (MA)|
|Education (PhD)||Quality Systems Engineering (MASc & MEng)|
|Educational Studies (MA)||Quantitative Business Studies (Grad. Cert.)|
|Educational Technology (MA)||Religion (PhD)|
|Electrical and Computer Engineering (MASc, MEng & PhD)||Religions and Cultures (MA)|
|English (MA)||Social and Cultural Analysis (PhD)|
|English Literature (PhD)||Social and Cultural Anthropology (MA)|
|Environmental Assessment (DEA) (GrDip, MEnv)||Sociology (MA)|
|Environmental Engineering (Grad.Cert.& MEng)||Software Engineering (MASc, MEng & PhD)|
|Film and Moving Image Studies (MA & PhD)||Studio Arts (MFA)|
|Finance (MSc)||Supply Chain Management (MSCM)|
|Geography, Urban and Environmental Studies (MSc & PhD||Teaching of Higher and Continuing
Education (C-TEACH) (Grad.Cert.)
|Health and Exercise Science (MSc & PhD)||Technologies de la traduction (Grad. Cert.)|
|History (MA & PhD)||Theological Studies (MA)|
|Human Systems Intervention (MA)||Traduction (GrDip)|
|Visual Journalism (GrDip)||Traductologie (MA)|
|Youth Work (GrDip)|
Types of programs in Concordia University are:
- Grad. Certificate:Graduate Certificate
- Gr.Diploma: Graduate Diploma
- MA: Masters in Arts
- MSc: Masters in Science
- MASc: Masters in Applied Science
- MEng: Masters in Engineering
- MFA: Masters in Fine Arts
- MSCM: Masters in Supply Chain Management
Also Read: MS in Canada
Concordia University Admission Process
For international students, there are predefined minimum admission requirements for Concordia University Graduate Programs one should fulfil. Let’s discuss all of them in the following section:
This the minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) requirements for graduate degrees for Canadian as well as international students:
- Doctoral programs require applicants to have completed a master’s/magisteriate (or equivalent) with high standing (e.g., with honours, or a GPA equivalent to a B average).
- Master’s programs typically require applicants to have completed a bachelor’s/baccalaureate (or equivalent) with high standing. High standing can be defined as honours, specialization, a GPA equivalent to a B average.
- Diploma and graduate certificate programs require applicants to have completed a bachelor’s/ baccalaureate (or equivalent) with high standing.
For international students, Concordia University evaluates international degree equivalencies upon receipt of an application.
For an undergraduate course, one should have one of the following:
- Higher School Certificate
- Intermediate Certificate
- Higher Secondary Certificate
- Indian School Certificate
- All India Senior School Certificate
- Pre-University Certificate
For masters and further thesis courses, one should have a B grade equivalent as per the university grading which is first division.
English Language Proficiency Test
English is the main language of instruction at Concordia University. Applicants whose primary language is not English will be required to provide proof of English proficiency scores prior to their admission to Concordia University. The following tests are permitted for University admission. Test results that are more than two years old at the time of application will not be accepted.
IELTS – International English Language Testing System
For IELTS, candidates must take the ‘Academic Module’:
- For no language courses, one should have a minimum 6.5 with at least a score of 6.5 in each of the four components.
- Some programs offer admission with additional English language courses as determined by a Concordia University placement test. For that, one should have an overall score of 6.5 and no part below 6.
CAEL – Canadian Academic English Language Assessment
The Concordia University Language Test Centre offers the CAEL TEST. The minimum acceptable score for the CAEL is 70
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE) & Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
- The minimum acceptable score for the CAE is: 180
- The minimum acceptable score for the CPE is: 180
TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language
To ensure your TOEFL results are forwarded directly to Concordia University, you must indicate 0956.00 as the “Institution Code” when you write the test.
- If the admission isn’t to any English language course, one should score 90 or higher and no part under 20 in each of the four components.
- Some programs offer admission with additional English language courses
as determined by a Concordia University placement test. For them, one has to score between 80-90 or any part under 20.
DET – Duolingo English Test
One must score a minimum of 120 in order to get admission through the Duolingo test.
PTE – Pearson Test of English
- If the admission isn’t to any English language course, one should score 61 or higher and no part under 53.
- Some programs offer admission with additional English language courses as determined by a Concordia University placement test. For them, one has to score between 52-60 or any part under 53.
Supporting Documents Required for Admission
During the application process, one will be asked to submit electronic copies of your supporting documents (including unofficial transcripts and test scores) via your student account in MyConcordia. Submit each document only once. You can always upload documents after your application has been submitted.
Documents you may need to include:
- Transcripts and Certificates
- Letters of Reference
- Statement of Purpose
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Proof of test scores
- Thesis Supervisor
Cost of Admission in Concordia University
The following is the list of the approximate costs for one academic year (from September 2021 to April 2022):
|Tuition and Compulsory Fees
(Full-time – 30 credits)
|Cost for International Students|
|Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Education
Bachelor of Science
|$21,720 – $24,040 (INR 12,88,398- 14,26,017)|
|Bachelor of Administration
Bachelor of Commerce
|$26,255 – $28,995 (INR 15,57,408- 17,19,940)|
|Bachelor of Engineering
Bachelor of Computer Science
|$23,945 – $26,475 (INR 14,20,382- 15,70,458)|
|Bachelor of Fine Arts||$21,875 – $24,190 (INR 12,97,592- 14,34,915)|
|Health and dental insurance plan (optional for Quebec and out-of-province residents, mandatory for international students)*||$1,176(INR 69,758)|
|Other Potential Expenses|
|Books and supplies||$2,250(INR 1,33,466)|
|Transportation (with student discount)||$424(INR 25,151)|
|Residence (room and fees). Room costs vary by floor plan.||$3,850 – $8,200(INR 2,28,376- 4,86,412)|
|Meal plan (mandatory for students living in Concordia residences)||$4,975(INR 2,95,109)|
|Monthly approximation $900 rent, $150 utilities and $700 food||$14,000(INR 8,30,459)|
One can also look for paid internships and scholarships to reduce the cost of expenses of being a part of Concordia University.
We consider complete applications year-round and give priority to applicants who apply by official deadlines.
- Fall Term
March 1 is the deadline to apply for fall term entry. International students are encouraged to apply by February 1 to allow sufficient time for application processing. Late applications will be considered if places are still available.
- Winter Term
November 1 is the deadline to apply for winter term entry. International students are encouraged to apply by September 1 to allow sufficient time for application processing. Not all programs are available for winter term entry.
Deadlines for Additional Program Requirements
Many programs have departmental requirements that one must satisfy in addition to Concordia’s minimum admission requirements. Additional requirements might include portfolios, auditions, interviews, letters of intent, etc. You must make arrangements to submit these additional requirements to the department you apply for.
Academic year Timetable
The academic year is based on three sessions: summer, fall, and winter.
|Summer||May-August||Start of the academic year.
However, you cannot enter an
undergraduate program during the summer term
|Fall||September – December (15 weeks)||A regular point of entry for most
|Winter||January – April (15 weeks)||Certain programs accept students in
January, based on availability
So, that was all about Concordia University Graduate Programs. If you wish to study at Concordia University, we have the right guidance and support team for you. Connect with Leverage Edu experts TODAY for a 30-minute FREE Consultation call. Book your session NOW or call us at 1800 57 2000.