The experts in the subject of analyzing adult diseases in the early stages of treatment are known as General Medicine doctors. Many concepts of health science in the human anatomy are related to early-stage care which is primarily taken care of by the general medicine doctor. The MD in General Medicine has always been one of the highly demanded courses in the medical industry due to its lucrative opportunities. The scope from its professional aspects ranges from working in a government or private sector to pursuing higher research operations in academia.
|Name of the course||MD in General Medicine|
|Duration||2 years, full-time/distance learning|
|Eligibility||MBBS with minimum 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam + Group Discussion/personal interview|
|Average Course Fee||₹10,000 – ₹15,000|
|Average starting salary||₹2,50,000 – ₹20,000,00|
This Blog Includes:
- MD General Medicine
- Why Choose MD General Medicine?
- MD General Medicine: What is it About?
- Skills That Make You The Best MD General Medicine Doctor
- Top Universities for MD General Medicine in the World
- Top Institutes for MD General Medicine in India
- MD General Medicine Eligibility
- Skills That Make You The Best MD General Medicine Doctorates
- MD General Medicine: Admission Process
- Syllabus of MD General Medicine
- Preparation Tips For MD General Medicine
- Reasons Why MD General Medicine Can Fetch You a Rewarding Career
- Scope For Higher Education after MD General Medicine
- Career Options After MD General Medicine
- Career Prospects After MD General Medicine
MD General Medicine
MD in General Medicine is a 2-3 year doctorate course that deals with the study of General medicine and the diagnosis of disease through examination of organs, tissues, bodily fluids, and whole bodies. Here, aspirants are incorporated with a curriculum of in-depth knowledge in medical science through experimentation, observation, theoretical and practical learning. After completing this postgraduate course, you will be ready to manage medical emergencies and carry out research and undergraduate medical training. This course gears you up professionally, where you are also responsible for teaching and guiding undergraduate students.
Why Choose MD General Medicine?
While there is a certain bias towards specialisations when it comes to MD, General Medicine holds its own ground. It has, in fact, grown in popularity for a number of good reasons. If you are asking yourself whether you should opt for General Medicine, then here is a list of reasons that might convince you.
- While specialists focus on only a certain demographic of patients, general medicine has broad applications in the field of medicine.
- Its broad range of focus allows you to explore many other areas of medicine, and it can serve as a pathway to them.
- Multiple reports suggest that the demand for general practitioners is rising.
- You can not only find jobs in medical facilities but it also allows you to start your own practise without much hassle and minimal resources at hand.
- Additionally, practising doctors suggest various advantages over specialists including a less hectic lifestyle, shorter working hours, interesting challenges etc.
There are many good reasons why going for general medicine can be beneficial for you. However, despite everything, what weigh supreme are your interests and future goals.
MD General Medicine: What is it About?
General Medicine is a specialisation that is concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of common health problems and diseases. In this course, you learn about the human body, its organs and different functions and the affect that diseases have on those functions. The course prepares you for a role of physician in clinics and hospital OPDs where you will provide primary medical care to general patients.
The course has immense scope in countries such as India that are expanding their medical services. It also allows you to keep the option for specialising, which many doctors go for after some years of practicing general medicine.
Skills That Make You The Best MD General Medicine Doctor
For a general medicine practitioner, it is crucial to have the following skills or develop them during the course.
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Polished mannerisms, compassion and patience
- Analytical ability
- Good networking skills
Top Universities for MD General Medicine in the World
The foreign universities present a varied set of criteria when it comes to the admission process of students for a postgraduate course in medicine. They primarily consider the undergraduate academic scores and the students’ fluent and nuanced speaking ability in English through a language test. On this basis, the universities for medicine that ranks the highest according to the QS University World Ranking are:
|2||University of Oxford||UK||$47957.58|
|3||University of Cambridge||UK||$11193.14(Per annum)|
|5||Johns Hopkins University||USA||$58,000|
|7||University of California, Los Angeles||USA||$ 1,074.00|
|8||University College London||UK||$67766.14|
|10||Imperial College London||UK||$53430.99|
Top Institutes for MD General Medicine in India
The average tuition fee charged in India for M.D. General Medicine ranges between ₹10,000 (government institutes) to ₹15,00,000 (private institutions).following are the Top Institutes for MD General Medicine in India
|Collage||Location||Fees (Per Annum INR)|
|All India Institute Of Medical Sciences||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||1,944|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore, Tamil Nadu||1,17,000|
|Armed Forces Medical College||Pune, Maharashtra||64,400|
|Kasturba Medical College||Mangalore, Karnataka||12,50,000|
|Maulana Azad Medical College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||10,000|
|Jawaharlal Institute Of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research – [Jipmer],||Pondicherry||6,200|
|Lady Hardinge Medical College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||10,000|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||13,667|
|Grant Medical College||Mum. D.I, Maharashtra||82,400|
|Sri Ramachandra University||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||14,00,000|
|Government Medical College||Amritsar, Punjab||11,000|
|Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College||Mum. D.I, Maharashtra||86,825|
|Christian Medical College||Ludhiana, Punjab||1,33,000|
|Osmania Medical College||Hyderabad, Telangana||66,666|
|Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College – [Bjmc], Pune||Pune, Maharashtra||72,650|
|Institute Of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research||Kolkata, West Bengal||10,000|
|Bangalore Medical College And Research Institute||Bangalore, Karnataka||95,000|
|Sms Medical College||Jaipur, Rajasthan||6,000|
|Government Medical College||Surat, Gujarat||14,000|
|Government Medical College||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala||61,667|
MD General Medicine Eligibility
As a minimum criterion of eligibility, aspiring candidates need to have completed MBBS/BAMS with a minimum aggregate score of 50%, with a 1-year compulsory internship. It is also, a primary requirement for the candidate to have a minimum aggregate score of 60% at the level of graduation. It is a must for the medical aspirant to qualify in at least one of the entrance examinations. Listed below are some of the major entrance exams held in India :
- NEET PG Entrance Exam
- PGIMER Entrance Exam
- JIPMER PG Entrance Exam
- CMC Vellore PG Medical Entrance Exam
- COMEDK PGET PG Entrance Exam
- MU OET PG Entrance Exam
- AIIMS PG Medical Entrance Exam
Skills That Make You The Best MD General Medicine Doctorates
An MD General Medicine aspirant should possess problem-solving, leadership, and technical skills.
- Excellent practical abilities
- Problem-Solving Capabilities
- Skills for Making Good Decision
- Management and leadership abilities
- Communication Capabilities
- A Good Bedside Manner And Compassion
- Ability to Analyze
- Organizing your time
MD General Medicine: Admission Process
If you have a MBBS degree from an NMC-approved college, you can apply for MD General Medicine admissions in foreign countries. The admission process is mostly entrance-exam based and varies by the country where you are applying. For example, to study MD in the USA, you will have to appear for the USMLE exam whereas for the UK, you must take the PLAB.
After that, you will have to follow the general admission process of the university as well as complete the various immigration requirements of your country.
If you are confused about the admission process, you can give us a call at 1800572000 and get your questions answered by our experts. Book your FREE 30-minute profile evaluation today.
Syllabus of MD General Medicine
- Applied Basic Science Knowledge
- Diseases with reference to General Medicine
- Recent Advances
- Biostatistics and clinical epidemiology
- Ward/OPD Patient Management
- Long and short topic presentations
- Ward rounds, case presentations, and discussions
- Clinico-radiological and clinico-pathological conference
- Journal Conferences
- PG Case presentation clinics
- Research review
- In-house and guest lectures
- Conferences, symposia, seminars, and CMEs
- Participation in workshops, updates, conferences
- Teaching undergraduate
- Use and maintenance of biomedical equipment
- Diagnostic investigation and procedures
- Monitoring seriously ill patients
- Counseling patients and relatives
- Ability to teach undergraduate students
- Ability to carry out research
Preparation Tips For MD General Medicine
Most of the preparation you need for the course will be during your MBBS study. With the medical knowledge and soft skills developed during MBBS, you can expect to excel in MD General Medicine. Following are the main preparation tips to keep in mind.
- Research: Proper research is a must when trying to find the right course and university to suit your needs. Sadly, it can also be a burden to sort through so much information. Luckily, our AI Course Finder does the job for you and finds the best course and university based on your profile and requirements. Why don’t you check it out?
- Preparation for Entrance Exams: You will have to prepare for the subject-related exams and the English Proficiency Tests prescribed by your university.
- Work on Your Skills: While you are in the middle of the admission process, make sure you work on your soft skills and keep your theoretical knowledge fresh.
Reasons Why MD General Medicine Can Fetch You a Rewarding Career
The bias of candidates towards specialist degrees has left a gap in the market for General Medicine practitioners. The demand is high in hospital outpatient departments and clinics for physicians who can diagnose and treat common diseases.
Moreover, the field offers flexibility in more ways than one. Firstly, you have the option to either look for jobs in existing medical establishments or set up your own practice as minimal resources required. Moreover, you have to option to pursue any specialisation later on in your career even after spending years as a practicing doctor.
Scope For Higher Education after MD General Medicine
After completing an MD in General Medicine degree, you can go for super-speciality courses with a Doctorate of Medicine (DM) degree. The following specialisations are available after General Medicine:
- Critical Care Medicine
- Medical Oncology etc.
Career Options After MD General Medicine
You will have the option to pursue a number of career options including –
- General Medicine Consultant
- Associate Professor etc.
Career Prospects After MD General Medicine
Successful postgraduates of MD General Medicine interested in further studies in the discipline may pursue an M.Phil. or Ph.D. for a professional career in the teaching field. Upon choosing this field, they are lucratively employed in government and private sectors in areas such as railways, State PSCs, State medical colleges, research & educational institutes, military services, biomedical companies, medicine manufacturing companies, etc. Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as Associate Professor, Bacteriologist, House Officer/RMO, Product Manager, Sr. Product Manager, General Medicine Consultant, Gynecologist, Broad Specialist, Casualty Medical Officer, Physiologist, Obstetrician, General Surgeon, General Physician, etc. Here is a detailed list of all the famous professional avenues you can opt for after completing your MD General Medicine course.
|Job Title||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Bacteriologists||A Bacteriologist is in charge of observing and researching different sorts of microorganisms in stages of change and advancement. They normally perform their examinations in a research facility, for the most part for government or pharmaceutical organizations. Bacteriology is the investigation of microorganisms and their impact on creatures. Bacteriologists screen these life forms for biology, digestion, and multiplication.||₹1,28,534 – ₹8,61,822|
|Physiologists||Physiologists work in doctor’s facilities and social insurance offices. They look at and screen human physiological organs and frameworks, for example, respiratory, anxious, and cardiovascular frameworks, to analyze and treat physiological clutters and chronic diseases.||₹3,71,411 – ₹1,289,340|
|Gynecologists||Gynaecologists give restorative treatment to ladies before, during, and after pregnancy, perform related tests and exams, analyze diseases and contaminations, treat hormonal irregularities, guide patients about anti-conception medication and such alternatives. Obstetricians and gynaecologists (OB/GYNs) give pre-birth and postnatal care all through pregnancy and after labour.||₹2,94,592 – ₹1,241,982|
Also Read: Career in Alternative Medicine
Despite being one of the most sought-after courses in the medical industry, there is a huge scope for high-profile doctoral jobs through this course. Your dream to pursue MD General Medicine is just one step away with our experts in Leverage Edu ever ready to help you in the complete application process in your dream college. To know more about our services, sign up for a free session today!