Canada is one of the most popular multinational countries and warmheartedly welcomes people from around the world coming to accomplish their academic quest or explore job opportunities. With a host of benefits on offer for immigrants offered in terms of affordability, healthcare assistance, and high standards of living, the visa process facilitated by immigration authorities in Canada is also simplified and hassle-free. Work permits are required in most cases for foreign nationals who intend to work in Canada and are issued by the Canadian government. If you are aiming to immigrate to Canada to discover global job opportunities, this blog elucidates the complete process, requirements, processing time, and related essentials regarding the Canada work permit.
This Blog Includes:
- Latest News on Canada Work Permit 2021
- About Canada Work Permit
- Types of Canada Work Permits
- Visa Programs Eligible under Open Work Permits
- Eligibility Criteria
- Processing Time of Canada Work Permit
- Documents Required
- Applying for Canada Work Permit
- Application Fees & Duration
Latest News on Canada Work Permit 2021
- The new open work visa is valid until December 31, 2022, for critical employees and foreign student graduates. Applicants for the TR to PR routes can also add their family members to the bridging open work permit. The new open work permit application period began on July 26 for TR to PR candidates in Canada. If they do not get a decision before their present status expires, it permits them to continue working while they await the outcome of their application for permanent residence. Children above the age of 18 may be listed on the work permit. Younger children may be allowed to get or study without a study permit if both parents are in Canada and not on a visitor’s visa.
- International graduates in Canada who have filed for the freshly opened road to permanent residency will be eligible for open work permits while they await the results of their applications, the Canadian government said on July 15. Beginning July 26, the rules for obtaining this one-time permit will apply to international students who have graduated from a Canadian institution, health care workers, and those in other designated essential occupations who have applied to one of six streams – three of which are exclusively for French speakers – under a temporary pathway to permanent residency.
- Fully vaccinated foreign nationals may be allowed to enter Canada for discretionary travel on the following dates if they meet specific criteria:
- American citizens and permanent residents of the United States who presently reside in the United States and satisfy particular conditions to qualify as completely vaccinated, as of August 9.
- All other foreign nationals who qualify as completely vaccinated as of September 7 (intended start date).
About Canada Work Permit
Issued by the government of the country, Canada Work Permit is an imperative license that allows eligible people from other countries to work in Canada for a specified period of time. People generally apply for this permit after receiving an employment offer or contract from a company or organisation in Canada. Further, applicants must also check that their employer has obtained the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from the ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada) which accredits them to recruit people from other countries for posts that cannot be filled by Canadian residents.
Types of Canada Work Permits
There are two types of work permits granted to immigrants by the Government of Canada, i.e. Employer-specific Work Permits and Open Work Permits. Let’s know about each one of these work permits in detail:
Employer-specific work permit
Employer-specific work permits are issued to those foreign nationals who have already got a job offer in Canada. It allows you to work for a specific employer and mentions the name of the employer, duration of employment as well as the location of work if applicable among other related factors. An employer-specific work visa allows you to work in Canada under certain restrictions, such as:
- the name of the specific employer you can work for
- how long you can work
- the location where you can work (if applicable)
Before you may apply for an employer-specific work permit, the employer who wishes to recruit you must go through certain processes and provide you with either a copy of a Labour Market Impact Assessment or an offer of employment number to include in your application.
To apply for an open work permit, you don’t necessarily require any prior job offer letter. It allows you to work for any company or organisation in Canada provided that they have not been listed ineligible by the government or engage in services like erotic massages or dance, escort services, etc. An open work permit allows you to work for any company in Canada, with the exception of those who:
- is classified as ineligible on the list of employers that have failed to comply with the criteria or
- offers striptease, exotic dancing, escort services, or erotic massages on a regular basis
Visa Programs Eligible under Open Work Permits
A few Canadian work permits that are considered to be Open work permits or OWP are:
- Post-Graduation Work Permit
- Temporary Resident Permit
- Temporary Work Permits for Spouses or Partners
- Regular Open Work Permit
- Working Holiday Visa
- Young Professionals Visa
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Caring for children class
- Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class
- Birding Open Work Permit
- World Youth Program Permit
- Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP) Spousal Permit
- International Experience Canada
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canadian Experience Class
- International Co-Op Program
Issuance of work permits in Canada is subject to fulfillment of certain eligibility criteria by the applicants. Let’s look at the major requirements for the application of Canada Work Permit:
- The applicant should be able to prove to an officer that they will leave Canada after their permit expires.
- The applicant should submit proof of possessing the required funds to support themselves and their families during the period of stay.
- They should have no criminal records and should not pose any threat to Canada’s security.
- They should be healthy and might be needed to take a medical examination as proof.
- They should not plan to work for any employer who is termed ineligible or involved in activities like erotic dance, striptease, escort services etc.
- They should be able to provide any other document needed for their entry in Canada.
- Lastly, all foreign nations must fulfil the necessary visa requirements as per their country of origin.
Note: The employer who has a positive LMIA must support the work visa application. The federal government issues a Canada work permit paperwork to foreign skilled employees who wish to work for a Canadian business for at least two years. The work visa can be renewed if both the Canadian employer and the foreign skilled worker meet specific criteria and conditions.
Processing Time of Canada Work Permit
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is difficult to provide accurate processing times for the Canada work permit at the moment. Having said that, one may check their application status here to get updates on:
- Their application
- where they’re at with processing during the pandemic
While gearing up for your work permit application, it is essential to keep a document checklist handy. Here is a list of documents required for applying for a Canada work permit:
- A valid passport
- Recent passport size photographs of self and accompanying family members
- All necessary educational qualifications
- Proof of professional qualifications and experience
- Proof of sufficient financial resources to cover their stay
- Medical certificate
- Proof of payment of application fee
Applying for Canada Work Permit
You can apply for a Canada work permit either online or on paper. The perks of applying online are that your application is submitted and processed quickly without any delays and you can also quickly submit any additional documents as asked for online. Here is a general overview of the application process for Canada Work Permit:
- Visit the official immigration and citizenship website of the Government of Canada by clicking here.
- Create a new account and choose the type of work permit which suits your preferences.
- Fill out the required details provided on the application form.
- After successful submission of application and payment of biometric fees, you need to share your biometric details as well.
- Upload all the requisite documents (mentioned above) and submit the application form.
You may be interviewed by officials or need to submit more information as asked for while your application is being processed. On getting approved, you will receive a letter stating that you are allowed to work in Canada. You will get your work permit after arriving in Canada by showing this letter to the officials.
Application Fees & Duration
A Canada work permit is generally issued for a period of 4 years (48 months and either consecutively or with gaps in between), after which a person needs to stay outside Canada for at least a period of 4 years before being eligible to apply for a Canada work permit again.
|Category||Fees (in CAD$)||Fees (in INR)|
|Closed work permit (including extensions) – per person||85||5036|
|Open-work permit holder||255||15110|
In general, before coming to Canada, you must apply for a work permit from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or a Canadian visa office. These work permissions are required: Before you apply, you must have a work offer from a Canadian company.
For two reasons, a temporary work visa is a simple method to move to Canada. Processing time can be as low as two weeks, and there is no requirement for a certain Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score to qualify. You might not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment right now (LMIA).
If you are sponsoring your spouse, they can apply for an open work visa in conjunction with their permanent residency application. The open work permit application will take us 4 to 5 months to process. See How to Apply for a Work Permit for further information. Follow the guidelines that apply to your specific circumstance.
You must live in Canada to sponsor qualified relatives unless you are a Canadian citizen who resides abroad and are 18 years of age or older and a:
1. Canadian citizen
2. Or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
3. Or a permanent resident of Canada.
You must be a qualified professional or tradesperson with a specific level of work experience to qualify for this position. You do not need to have a job offer to apply to be a member of the Express Entry system. They do not require a job offer to work in Canada.
Thus, we hope that this blog familiarized you with the application process and related information about Canada Work Permit. Planning to study in Canada? Our Leverage Edu experts are here to help you find the best course and university combination as per your interests and aspirations! Sign up for a free study abroad consultation today!