Are you planning to study in Canada but are worried about your low CGPA? While a good CGPA score helps to secure admission easily, there are many colleges/ universities in Canada that accept low CGPA. Let’s explore everything you need to know about Canadian Universities accepting low CGPA, its admission process, documents required and more.
This Blog Includes:
What is Low and Good CGPA?
Good CGPA: A first-class honour and second-class upper honour are considered to be good CGPA for a postgraduate degree in most Canadian universities.
|First-Class (Very Good CGPA)||On a scale of 4.0
4.0 out of 4.0
|On a scale of 5.0
4.5 to 5.0 out of 5.0
|Second- Class Upper (Good CGPA)||On a scale of 4.0
3.3 to 3.7 out of 4.0
|On a scale of 5.0
3.5 to 4.49 out of 5.0
Low CGPA: A CGPA that is below second class upper honour is considered low for a postgraduate or undergraduate degree. While the low CGPA affects the admission process there are plenty of Canadian universities accepting low CGPA
|Second Lower Class (Low CGPA)||On a scale of 4.0
2.7 to 3.0 out of 4.0
|On a scale of 5.0
2.5 to 3.49 out of 5.0
|Third Class (Very Low CGPA)||On a scale of 4.0
1.0 to 2.3 out of 4.0
|On a scale of 5.0
1.5 to 2.49 out of 5.0
Also Read: Canadian Universities that Accept SAT
Can a Student with a Low CGPA Get into a Canadian University?
Yes, a student with a low CGPA can definitely get into a Canadian university. CGPA is not the only criteria that a university takes into consideration for admission. Your overall academic profile is assessed by the respective university. If you have a low CGPA, you must ensure that you’ve good academic records that are capable enough to compensate for your low CGPA. If you are a master’s or bachelor’s student then you must possess a good record of the following mentioned requirements:
- A strong statement of Purpose
- Relevant Professional Experience
- Personal skills and expertise
- Letter of recommendation
- Great in extra-curricular activities
- Good scores in exams such as GRE or GMAT
Limitations of a Low CGPA
A low CGPA comes along with some drawbacks. Consider the following mentioned limitations when applying for admission to a Canadian university:
- Try to avoid those universities that strongly recommend or use CGPA as a major factor for admission for students.
- Art or Humanities courses tend to consider students with a lower CGPA while Science and Engineering courses require students with a high or an average CGPA.
- Do not go for such courses that require more academic records and coursework.
- Try to select courses that require self-skills, work experiences and expertise such as Business courses.
Top Canadian Universities Accepting Low CGPA
There are about 27 colleges and universities in Canada that offer you admission with a low CGPA. Here’s the list of all Canadian universities accepting low CGPA:
- University of Regina (UREGINA)
- King’s University College
- Camosun College
- Vancouver Community College
- Conestoga College
- Algonquin College
- Capilano University
- Georgian College
- Humber College
- Centennial College
- University of the Fraser Valley
- Saint Thomas University
- Concordia University of Edmonton
- Vancouver Island University (Malaspina)
- Université Saint Paul
- OCAD University (Ontario College of Art & Design)
- Kwantlen University College
- Bow Valley College
- Fanshawe College
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Okanagan College
- George Brown College
- Douglas College
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Algoma University
- Langara College
- Mohawk College
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kickstart their journey. To study in Canadian universities accepting low CGPA students must apply from the official websites of the different universities. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined to the USA! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process for Canadian universities accepting low CGPA:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
- High School Certificate/Marksheets
- Bachelor’s degree for PG courses
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation
- Letter of Acceptance
- Language Test Scores: IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GMAT, GRE
- Proof of Financial Evidence
- Extracurricular activities proof
- Updated CV/Resume with relevant work experience
The application fee at Humber College, Canada is CAD 75 (INR 4,000).
IELTS score requirements vary from course to course but an overall IELTS score of 5 or 6.5 can work for you.
To study at a good Canadian University, you must obtain a good GRE score of 305 – 315 out of 340.
Study permit fees are CAD 187 (INR 11K).
Planning to study abroad can be a complicated process but Leverage Edu is here to make it easier. Our Leverage Edu experts will provide end-to-end assistance from application to Visa process. Call us at 1800 57 2000 and book your FREE 30-minutes counselling session today!