Considered as one of the best countries to study abroad, Canada has etched its name in providing high-quality education and vast career opportunities for the aspirants. Every year, lakhs of students enroll in various professional, certificate or 1 year courses in Canada only to broaden their horizons and get the necessary industrial exposure for building a strong professional career. If you have decided to pursue higher education in the North American country during the January intake then through this blog, you will be familiarised with details about the winter intake in Canada and the various courses available.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in Canada?
Before we understand the process of winter intake in Canada, it is important to know why Canada is considered amongst the popular destinations to study abroad. Listed below are some of the reasons explaining the same:
- Academic Excellence – Canada is known for its academic excellence and world-class educational infrastructure. With highly qualified faculties belonging to diverse fields of study who cater to the needs of students, Canadian universities have been consistently topping the world rankings.
- Affordability – When we talk about the tuition fee, the accommodation, meals, traveling, and other living expenses then the cost of studying in Canada is relatively cheaper in comparison to the UK and US for Indian students.
- Diverse Cultures – With people coming from different cultures and walks of life, celebrating their festivals and rituals, the multicultural environment encourages diversity and harmony amongst people. Thus making it one of the peaceful countries to study abroad.
- Immigration Opportunities – After the students complete their graduation, they are allowed to stay and work in Canada for up to 3 years, thanks to Canada’s Post-graduation Work Permit Program. The graduates get an opportunity to get the necessary international and industrial exposure through the jobs in Canada with work permit.
Documents Required for Winter Intake in Canada
The winter intake in Canada, which generally spans between the months of January to April is a chance for those who missed out on the Fall intake deadlines. As far as the deadlines for winter intake is considered, it falls around September to November. It is important to note that the final deadline may vary from one university to another. Further, every applicant is required to keep their documents ready when applying to various courses during the January intake. Here is a list of the key documents that you need:
- Duly attested mark sheets of 10th and 12th class
- Transcripts of the last qualifying examination
- Degree/Provisional Degree/course completion certificate
- GRE/GMAT scores
- IELTS/TOEFL score sheet
- 2-3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume or CV
- Valid passport
- Latest passport-sized photographs
- Certificates of extracurricular activities, if any
Also Read: Canada Visa for Indians
How to Schedule for Winter Intake in Canada 2023?
The admission processes and the application forms for the fall intakes in Canada begin early. The entire process commences a year before the original deadline for the submission of application forms. If you want to take admission in the winter intake session in Canada then you should start with your application process as soon as possible.
|Begin Research (April 2023-June 2023)||The process initiates with you researching and looking for the universities offering the best courses, facilities and student support services. You should shortlist the one matching your requirements.|
|Time to Prepare and Attempt Standardized Tests (July 2023-September 2023)||Think thoroughly and prepare well for the standardized tests such as GRE, GMAT, IELTS & TOEFL. It is best to be well prepared before you attempt these exams.|
|Finish completing Application Forms (September 2023-November 2023)||It is essential to be on time. Fill out your forms and submit them on time. You must submit your form with all the necessary documents.|
|Reply to the emails from universities (December 2023-January 2024)||You must reply to all the emails you receive from different colleges and universities. It is important to be prompt in the admission process.|
|Work out your finances(January-February 2024)||It is extremely beneficial to research and apply for the best student loans, financial aids and scholarships.|
|Apply for Visas(January-February 2024)||Apply for your visa on time and book your flight tickets to your university!|
Step-by-Step Guide for Winter Intake in Canada
By following theses simple steps, you will be able to make it through your dream Canadian university in Canada-
Step 1: Begin Your Research
- Majority of the universities in Canada are open for the winter intakes. Thus, you must start with your application as early as possible.
- You shall thoroughly research about the universities offering the course of your choice and make a list of their deadlines for the winter intakes.
Step 2: Competitive Exams
- Start preparing for the competitive level entrance exams like SAT, GMAT, GRE, etc as per the requirement of your course
- It is necessary to qualify language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. So start preparing for such a test after checking the requirements of your course
- Make sure that you have around 2 weeks of time between results and application submission deadline
Step 3: Start Applying to Universities
- Once you have selected among the universities offering winter intakes in Canada, now is the time to commence with your application.
- Make sure that you attach all the necessary documents like LOR, SOP, etc that together describe how unique as an applicant you are.
- While submitting an application to keep track of deadlines all the colleges and Universities have shortlisted for January 2023.
Step 4: Acceptance Letter and Interviews
- In response to your application, universities will reply back to you through an email and would require some of the candidates to be present for a virtual interview.
- A majority of the colleges offer a first come first serve basis during the admission, quickly reply back to the colleges you have been accepted from.
- In order to accept the invitation from the university, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable confirmation deposit fee.
Step 5: Visa Application or Education Loan/ Scholarship Application
- If you are looking forward to applying for an education loan, now is a right time to go for it as you have already received your acceptance letter.
- For those who are opting the route of a scholarship, do not forget to submit your application before the closing of dates.
- Simultaneously, start your visa application so that you can kindly receive your visa for Canada
Step 6: Tickets and Departure
- After completing the entire cumbersome process, finally, it is the time to book your tickets and fly high to Canada.
- Do not forget to carry all your important documents along with their photocopies
- Having an international debit or credit card will help you manage your expenses better in Canada
Universities offering Winter Intake in Canada
With a large number of top universities, pursuing higher studies in Canada can be highly advantageous. For all the aspirants, here is a list of the best colleges and universities offering courses for the winter intakes in Canada:
- Fanshawe College
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- Lambton College
- Cape Breton University
- Douglas College
- Carleton University
- Centennial College
- Royal Roads University
- Lakehead University
- Mount Allison University
- Trent University
Courses Available for Winter Intake in Canada
Though the best colleges in Canada offer courses pertaining to almost all the fields of study, here is a list of some of the popular professional fields that you can opt for:
- Fashion designing
- Computer Science
Note: If you are looking up for a particular university, it is advisable to check about the courses that they offer during the January session.
After the students complete their graduation, they are allowed to stay and work in Canada for up to 3 years, thanks to Canada’s Post-graduation Work Permit Program
Mount Saint Vincent University
Cape Breton University
Royal Roads University
Mount Allison University
You must start scheduling in April for the January Intake in Canada.
Hopefully, with this blog, you are now aware of the process of winter intake in Canada. If you are planning to study in the North American Country but are not sure about how to get started with it then our counselors at Leverage Edu will lend you a helping hand. From identifying the right university for you using our AI-based tool to completing the admission-related formalities, the mentors will assist you throughout the process. You can also book a free 30 minutes consultation with our experts for a brainstorming career counseling session that will give you a clarity of mind and how to progress in the field of your choice.