With the continuously shrinking lifespan of fashion trends in the apparel industry, fashion designers and creators are facing difficulties in keeping up with the growing need for innovation. A diploma in Fashion Designing provides an individual with the opportunity to become adept at Fashion Designing in a short period of time. It is a short-term course aimed at providing specialized knowledge of Fashion and Apparel Designing to individuals looking to enter the Fashion Designing industry. Let’s explore the diverse aspects of this Diploma course as well as its variants offered across the world.
|Course Level||Diploma level|
|Examination Type||Semester and Annual|
|Admission Process||Academic Meri/ written test and personal interview.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1,00,000 (approx)|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 18,000-INR 35,000 per month|
This Blog Includes:
- Diploma in Fashion Designing Course Details
- Why Pursue a Diploma in Fashion Design?
- Diploma in Fashion Designing Subjects & Syllabus
- Diploma in Fashion Designing after 10th
- Diploma in Fashion Designing after 12th
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admission Process
- Top Universities
- Best Diploma in Fashion Designing Colleges in India
- Career Prospects in Fashion Designing
- Diploma in Fashion Designing Salary & Jobs
- Future Scope
Sign up here for a FREE Career Counselling Session!
Diploma in Fashion Designing Course Details
Varying between 12 to 18 months in duration, a Diploma in Fashion Designing is a skill-based industry-oriented course where everything from the specifics of design and development to starting and sustaining a brand is discussed extensively. Industriousness and creativity are believed to be the blood of the fashion industry. Fashion ideas, culture study, patterns, garment design and related topics form the core part of the course. Furthermore, Marketing, Retailing, Communication, Product Development, and Social Media are also dealt with. This course ingrains all the required knowledge for an individual to be adept in the Fashion Industry. Since fashion is a subject of taste, governed by subjectivity and innovation, it is more about teaching the students how to explore their own creativity instead of following theoretical knowledge.
Why Pursue a Diploma in Fashion Design?
For those who have always wanted to work in the fashion industry or become a successful fashion designer, a diploma in fashion design is the best course. This course lasts for a full year.
- A diploma in fashion design helps students develop their skills by educating them on the most recent trends in the fashion world. The field of fashion design is one that is rising in popularity.
- Following successful completion of the Diploma in Fashion Design programme, students are paid well. They are hired by reputable and well-known businesses such as Marks & Spencer, H&M, Satya Pau, made by India.com, Levis, Reebok, Calvin Klein, antraDesi, lifestyle, Pankaj & Nidhi, Arvind Textile, etc.
- Students pursuing this course have the opportunity to become well-known by working as celebrity fashion stylists with a diploma in fashion design.
Diploma in Fashion Designing Subjects & Syllabus
The subjects covered in this course are practical and applicable in nature. These topics meticulously teach the specifics of Fashion Designing and train a student for a thriving career in the industry. Here are some of the common subjects covered under a Diploma in Fashion Designing:
|Patterns and Pattern-Making||Design and Color Fundamentals||Digital Design|
|History of Fashion||Design Thesis & Design Workshops||Draping|
|Computer Software Skills||Business of Costume Design||Communication|
|Fashion and Film||Culture Design||Trend Forecasting|
Let’s get to know more about these Fashion Designing subjects in further detail:
Patterns and Pattern-Making
This subject imparts students with the knowledge of creating design patterns along with how to make precise designs according to the dress and the individual. Block development, measuring techniques, the difference between upper and lower body patterns, etc. are some of the covered topics.
Design and Color Fundamentals
A dress is nothing but a play of colours and designs. Topics like elements of colour theory, design principles and how they apply to the fashion industry are explored in great detail under Design and Color Fundamentals. Students are also encouraged to participate in different design projects so that they understand the specifics of design and colour in a better way.
Digital Design refers to the creation of designs exclusively on digital platforms. Students in this subject are introduced to basic designing and sketching techniques across popular digital platforms. These platforms help students explore their creative side to the fullest by removing all the constraints of sketching by hand.
History of Fashion
Having knowledge of the history of fashion and costumes with respect to Indian or Western, contemporary or classical is a necessary skill. It helps students in tracking styles, patterns and tastes through centuries. It also increases the creative spectrum of students by exposing them to famous works from the past.
Design Thesis & Design Workshops
In a Diploma in Fashion Designing, students are coached through research activities like Design thesis and Design workshops. These workshops have similar equipment and machinery to a real production site, making the translation of essential skills easier. Individual idea generation and applying that knowledge in practical conditions is something that is developed in this subject.
Diploma in Fashion Designing after 10th
You won’t have much time after completing your class 10th studies, it is recommended to clear your high school and then pursue any fashion designing courses. After the 10th you can invest this time in preparation, selecting your college, type of course, and degree. You don’t have to worry about streams because you can pursue fashion design with any stream.
Diploma in Fashion Designing after 12th
Wondering what are the diploma option available after class 12th? Here is the list of the most popular and opted diplomas in fashion design after the 12th:
- Diploma in Fashion Technology
- Diploma in Fashion Design
- Diploma in Apparel Design
- Diploma in Jewellery Design
- Diploma in Fashion Photography
- Diploma in Retail Merchandising
- Diploma in Leather Design
- Diploma in Textile Design
- Diploma in Visual Merchandising
Candidates who wish to enrol in a college offering the Diploma in Fashion Design programme must meet the following requirements: Different colleges that offer a diploma in fashion design have different requirements for applicants. Before submitting an application for a Diploma in Fashion Technology, the eligibility requirements listed below must be met.
- Candidates must have passed the 10+2 exam or an exam of an equivalent level from an accredited educational board.
- The candidate will need to meet the requirements of the minimum aggregate percentage required to achieve in order to get admission if the admission process is based on academic merit in the college of the candidate’s choice.
The admissions process for Diploma in Fashion Designing differs from university to university, here is how you can apply for the process:
- Shortlist the best universities and courses for the diploma, and fill out the application form after checking the eligibility.
- Upload the various documents in the prescribed format, and pay the application fees.
- The candidates are required to take out the receipt of the application receipt for further processes.
- Those qualified in the merit list are required to confirm their admission by paying the admission fees. Students may be asked to appear for personal interviews and group discussions.
There are numerous fashion design schools and universities around the world offering a plethora of courses imparting students with the intricacies of the fashion business. They offer specialized courses under different names, all of which focus on different facets of Fashion Designing while keeping the subject at its core. Here is a list of a few prominent Institutions from across the world that offer a Diploma in Fashion Designing:
|Toronto Film School||Canada||Fashion Design Diploma|
|TAFE Queensland||Australia||Diploma of Applied Fashion Design
|London College of Fashion||UK||Graduate Diploma Fashion Management|
|Massey University||New Zealand||Graduate Diploma in Design|
|RMIT University||Australia||Diploma of Fashion Styling|
|Universal College of Learning||New Zealand||Postgraduate Diploma of Design|
|Griffith University||Australia||Graduate Certificate in Design|
|Gordon Institute of TAFE||Australia||Diploma of Applied Fashion Design
|Fanshawe College||Canada||Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design|
|Textile and Fashion Industry
|Singapore||Advanced Certificate in Fashion Technology|
Best Diploma in Fashion Designing Colleges in India
There are various colleges in India offering diplomas in fashion design. We have curated a list of the top 10 colleges for you to choose from:
- Vogue Institute of Art and Design
- LISAA School of Design
- JD Institute Of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- Dot School Of Design
- Inter National Institute of Fashion Design Andheri Mumbai
- Le Mark School of Art Mumbai
- Image Institute Of Multimedia Arts And Graphic Effects Vadapalani
- Raffles Design International
- Aartreum School Of Design, Hyderabad
Career Prospects in Fashion Designing
A diploma in Fashion design opens the door to various opportunities. A career in Fashion Designing has long-lasting prospects in a remarkable number of industries, some of which have been listed below:
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Entrepreneur
- Fashion Illustrator
- Retail Manager
- Fashion Blogger
- Accessory Designer
- Brand Manager
- Product Developer
Diploma in Fashion Designing Salary & Jobs
Wondering how much you will earn after completing your diploma or what are job options available? There are plenty of jobs available based on your knowledge and skills. Here are some of the prominent jobs along with their salary structure:
|Job Profiles||Average Annual Salary|
|Fashion Designer||Rs. 4,00,000|
|Fashion Stylist||Rs. 5,00,000|
|Quality Controller||Rs. 4, 50,000|
|Pattern Maker||Rs. 5,45,000|
|Visual Merchandiser||Rs. 4,50,000|
- Given how this industry is developing and how well-liked it is among students, the potential of a diploma in fashion design is fantastic. As more people become aware of fashion trends, there is a growing demand for fashion designers. After earning a diploma in fashion design, students can either start their own business or join an existing one.
- They may choose to pursue higher education. Fashion designers are in higher demand not only in India but also in other countries where a respectable salary is provided.
- Students who complete a fashion design diploma can launch their own brand and gain global recognition. They can also work as stylists for celebrities and earn a respectable wage.
You can study a certificate course but not a diploma course.
The National Institute Of Fashion Technology is a government college you can consider for fashion design.
There is no diploma course, you can pursue a bachelor’s degree in fashion designing courses.
J D Institute Of Fashion Technology is one of the best for diplomas in fashion design in Delhi.
Every university has a different fee structure. In India, diploma in fashion designing courses ranges between INR 50,000- 2,00,000. Foreign universities will cost you around INR 5,00,000- 10,00,000.
Worried About IELTS? Take a Demo Class with Leverage Live Experts and Learn the Coolest Ways to Ace the Exam in One-Go!
Thus, we hope this blog helped you explore the key essentials of a diploma in Fashion Designing. Making a career in Fashion Designing is tough, especially in today’s technologically dynamic and competitive world. If you are studying Fashion Designing and are confused about how to go about it, let the mentors at Leverage Edu assist you in finding a suitable course and university as per your interests and preferences. Sign up for an e-meeting today!
I want to become a fashion designer
I want to become a fashion designer