Is Fashion Designing a good career? Fashion Designing is one of the highly creative and in-demand careers in the world. It is especially for those who love to study fashion trends, sketch designs and develop something new and creative in the world of vogue. Wondering how to start a career in fashion designing? Well, you will need to pursue a basic design diploma or degree program to begin a career in this field which can help you learn the intricacies of designing clothes and apparel as well as studying the latest trends. Read this blog to know more about a career in Fashion Designing in India, best courses, career options and more!
This Blog Includes:
- Career Opportunities in Fashion Designing
- Career in Fashion Designing in India
- Qualifications to Become a Fashion Designer
- Is Fashion Designing a Good Career?
- Top Recruting Companies Globally
- Fashion Designing Books
- Fashion Designer Courses
- Top Fashion Designing Institutes and Colleges
Check Out: Best Designing Courses
Career Opportunities in Fashion Designing
The top career opportunities in Fashion Designing are:
- Fashion Designer
- Retail Buyer
- Retal Manager
- Fashion Stylist
- Jewellery and Footwear Designer
- Personal Shopper
- Makeup Artist
- Fashion Model
- Fashion Photographer
- Fashion Journalist
- Textile Designer
A profession that needs no introduction, fashion designers are precisely linked with the fashion designing industry.
If you are a fashionista yourself, you might have definitely heard about the top Indian fashion designers such as Varun Bahl, Manish Malhotra, Sabyasachi, Rohit Bal, etc. They have actually managed to transform the fashion scene in Bollywood.
A good fashion designer takes care of everything from sketches to textures and patterns; from styling outfits to looks. Here’s a detailed guide on How to Become a Fashion Designer!
Once you pursue a career in fashion designing, you will have a great understanding of what clothes will look great on which people. As a retail buyer, you can build up your own store and sell your own products or you can get the products from other designers as well. This field is pretty lucrative if done right.
Getting a job at a boutique, departmental store, or huge brands such as Lifestyle, Zara, Emporio Armani, etc can be highly satisfactory. A retail manager is accountable for setting up daily targets for the staff and ensures that marketing and promotions are functioning in a proper way or not.
This is one of the toughest and the most exciting job profile when we talk about a career in fashion designing. Being a Fashion stylist, your job is to select the right pieces from the designers’ collection or wardrobe to pick the best outfits with respect to clients’ body type, preferences, and tastes. A stylist takes cares from makeups, accessories, hairstyles to the overall look of a person.
Recommended Read: M Des (Master of Design)
A textile designer designs 2D unique or repetitive patterns for printed fabrics, weave, and knit patterns. These fabrics may be used in the interiors to make clothes or as soft furnishing. Textile designers either work as a part of the team in industrial and non-industrial settings or even work independently. Most of the textile designers use CAD to design textures and patterns.
Read more about Textile Design Courses!
Jewellery and Footwear Designing
Talking about a career in Fashion Designing, jewellry and footwear is a whole distinct market in the industry that compliments the textile sector. After all, without the right footwear and the right fashion accessories, even the perfect dress remains incomplete.
Are you in love with shopping? It’s time to be happy because a personal shopper is an expert who helps brides, celebrities, and even everyday snappy dressers to pluck out the best dresses from the hangers. But remember! You must be a professional so that you can hammer out the best deals, best shops, and pick the most suitable designs and brands as per the client’s requirements.
A makeup artist takes cares of the skincare, hairstyling, grooming, and anything related to an additional appearance of the body. However, it’s important to note that makeup artists are different from beauticians as they are not limited to normal beauty treatments. Makeup artists are hired for weddings, pre-wedding photoshoots, bridal makeup, fashion events, celebrities, and models.
A model is the one who acts and walk on a ramp to show the new trends in order to promote commercial products in the market. Some fashion designers wear their own clothes to represent themselves or sometimes they hire models to promote their work.
If we talk about the general trend, a lot of fashion models have signed themselves with modeling agencies. Such agencies bridge the gap between the models and the prospects. And do you know that there are many fashion designers who wouldn’t hire models unless they are provided by any modeling agencies?
Career in Fashion Designing in India
Fashion designing is one of the most charismatic career options. It opens up a lot of opportunities for those who are actually passionate about designing art. Talented designers have a huge potential to earn high income, fame, and glamour. Here is what you can do as a fashion designer:
- Textile Export Houses
- Fashion Boutiques
- Work as an Independent and Self-employed Fashion Designer
- Textile or Fabric Manufacturing Units
- Retail Chains
- Fashion Brand Showrooms
- TV and Film Industry
- Teach Fashion Designing In Institutes
Qualifications to Become a Fashion Designer
The basic qualification you need for a career in Fashion Designing is a diploma or degree in Fashion Design/Fashion Technology/Textile Design or related fields. To become a Fashion Designer after 12th, you will have to clear NID exam/UCEED/CEED/NIFT entrance exam for pursuing bachelor’s courses in India while you can also find many diploma and short-term fashion design courses.
Is Fashion Designing a Good Career?
Fashion Designing is one of the most in-demand careers in the world. Being a highly creative field, it can give you the opportunity to blend cultures, traverse traditional attires to the contemporary ones and even play with color themes! Every dress has its own story to tell and you can be the storyteller! Here are the top reasons that make Fashion Designing a super career choice:
- A career in Fashion Design would give you the maximum possible satisfaction.
- Be your own boss and you can start your own brand from zero.
- It will change the way you see the world as the field is full of creativity and fun.
- The fashion designing industry will give you a huge margin on almost every product.
- A career in Fashion Designing gives you an opportunity to achieve fame for what you are doing.
- You will have a lot of opportunities to travel around the globe because clients can be from any part of the world.
- Get ready to face all kind of works arriving in a single workplace.
- You may also get a chance to meet celebrities and other people who have a passion for fashion designing just like you if you pursue a career in this field.
Must Explore: Top Fashion Colleges in Canada
For those who are looking forward to stepping up a career in fashion designing, mentioned below is the estimated salary they may receive-
|Profiles||Initial Salary||Mediocre Salary||Senior Level Salary|
Top Recruting Companies Globally
A variety of leading organizations across the globe offer various roles to the graduates of this field. Tabulated below are the popular companies you can target in India as well as abroad-
|Companies in India||Companies Abroad|
Fashion Designing Books
Since the colleges in India as well as abroad offer admission in the fashion designing courses through entrance exams, thus, the aspirants need a bunch of exclusive fashion designing books. Listed below are the popular books for cracking the entrance exams related to this field-
- NIFT/IIFT/NID Entrance Exam Guide by R Gupta
- NIFT Entrance Exam Seld Study Guide
- NIFT Exam Guide by Dr RP Datason
- Concepts of Pattern Grading
- Popular Master Guide NIFT by R Gupta
- NIFT Exam Guide by Verma
Fashion Designer Courses
There are numerous universities and colleges across the globe that offer a wide range of programmes for those interested in establishing a career in Fashion Designing. Take a look at the following list of top Fashion Designing courses:
Fashion Designer Diploma Courses after 10th
- Diploma in Fashion Designing
- Diploma in Fashion Technician
- Diploma in Fashion Stylist
- Diploma in Vogue Fashion Certificate
- Diploma in Fashion Stylist and Image Consultant
- Diploma in Design for Fashion and Textiles
Fashion Designer Courses after 12th
- Bachelor in Fashion Design
- Bachelor in Textile Design
- BSc Fashion Designing
- Bachelor of Fashion Technology
- Bachelor of Fashion Design & Technology
- BA Hons in Fashion Design and Manufacture
- Bachelor in Design and Fashion Management
- Bachelor in Fashion Design & Management
- BA Hons (Fashion Journalism)
- BA Hons in Fashion Design & Creative Direction
Fashion Designer Courses at Master’s Level
- Master in Fashion Design
- Master in Sustainable Fashion Design
- Master of Fashion Management
- Master’s Program in Fashion, Clothing and Textile Design
- Master in Fashion Collection Management
- Master in Styling, Image and Fashion Communication
- Master in Fashion Brand Management
- Master in Fashion Technology
- MA Fashion Design Technology
- MA Fashion Photography
- MA Fashion Curation
Top Fashion Designing Institutes and Colleges
To help you further in your research, below we have described some of the best fashion design schools and institutes in the world that you must consider:
- Parson School of Design
- Central Saint Martins
- Istituto Marangoni
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Paris College of Art
- Kingston University
Check out the complete list at Top Fashion Design Schools in the World!
Top Indian Institutes for Fashion Designing
- National Institute of Fashion and Technology, Delhi; Mumbai
- National Institute of Design
- VIDM Institute of Design and Management, New Delhi
- YMCA Institute for Office Management, New Delhi
- Arena Animation
- Pearl Academy
- Symbiosis Institute of Design
- Amity School of Fashion Technology
- Army Institute of Fashion and Design
The monthly income of a Fashion Designer in India is somewhere around 20,000 INR- 35,000 INR depending on their organisation and role. The entry-level salary of a Fashion Designer in India is 1.5 to 1.7 Lakhs per annum and can go up to 10 Lakhs per annum varying as per the firm or the industry they are working in.
Fashion Design is amongst the highest-paying industries, offers lucrative job opportunities and is also a creatively fulfilling and financially rewarding career! With the emergence of new technologies, there are various specialisations available in Fashion Designing ranging from Shoe Designing, Fashion Technology, Fashion Journalism, Leather Designing, Fashion Photography, amongst others.
There are a plethora of job opportunities in Fashion Designing such as Stylist, Fashion Designer, Retail Manager, Personal Shopper, Retail Buyer, Textile Designer, Make up Artist, amongst others.
To become a fashion designer, you will need a relevant higher education qualification like a full-time degree program, foundation or HND course. Many students also opt for a master’s degree to specialise in a specific field of Fashion Design and build their career in the same.
You can start a career in this field by pursuing a diploma in Fashion Designing. Students can begin after 10th with a diploma or bachelor’s degree in Fashion Designing after 12th such as BDes or BSc Fashion Designing.
Are you ready to change the cultural trend of your society? Yes, we said ‘cultural trend’ because when you’ll pursue a career in fashion designing, you will have the power to change what people wear, what people think about each other, and what people feel about each other. If you feel this the field for you, contact Leverage Edu at +91-8826200293 today and kickstart your career in fashion designing.