Australia is one of the top study abroad destinations in the world. There are a large number of the best-ranked universities located on the continent. The top-quality of education along with ample practical experience allows students who graduate from Australian universities to emerge as global leaders. There are ample amounts of disciplines that can be majored in. One such course is criminology. This blog provides you with all the information regarding criminology courses in Australia.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Criminology?
- Why Study in Australia?
- Criminology Courses in Australia
- Criminology Courses in Australia Eligibility
- Documents Required for Criminology Courses in Australia
- Criminology Courses in Australia Application Process
- Cost of Studying and Living in Australia
- Placements & Salary after Pursuing Criminology Courses in Australia
What is Criminology?
Criminology is the study of criminal behaviour as well as the systems in place to deal with criminal offenders. People, institutions, and systems will be examined from many perspectives. In criminology, you will study sociology, psychology, economics, and social work. You will have a greater grasp of crime, criminals, and society by studying criminology. You’ll learn about important criminology themes while refining your practical application abilities.
Why Study in Australia?
Following are some of the reasons why you must consider studying in Australia:
- Australia has a world-class education system.
- It has a rich cultural landscape.
- Australia is a stunning country with plenty of things to see and do.
- It is a global research powerhouse.
- Australia has a lot of job opportunities.
- It has 4 cities in the top 10 list of most livable cities in the world.
Criminology Courses in Australia
- Bachelor of Criminology/Bachelor of Laws LLB,
- BCrim, Western Sydney University,
- BCrim, Criminology + Global Security (Combined),
- BGS, Murdoch University, Psychology, Criminology and Justice,
- Bachelor Degree, Edith Cowan University Online.
- Postgraduate Certificate, Forensic Science, University of Technology Sydney,
- Masters, Criminology and Criminal Justice, Arts Education and Law
- Postgraduate Diploma, Forensic Odontology, The University of Western Australia
- Diploma in Criminology and Justice
- Diploma of Criminology
- Diploma in Criminal and Community Justice (Standard)
- Diploma in Criminal and Community Justice Extended
- Specialist Certificate in Criminology (Forensic Disability)
- Specialist Certificate in Criminology (Sexual Offender Management)
Criminology Courses in Australia Eligibility
The minimum eligibility requirements for undergraduate degree are summarised below:
|TOEFL (Minimum)||79 (Reading – 13, Writing- 21, Listening- 13, Speaking- 18)|
|IELTS (Minimum)||6.5 (Reading – 6, Writing- 6, Listening- 6, Speaking- 6)|
|PTE (Minimum)||58 (Reading – 50, Writing- 50, Listening- 50, Speaking- 50)|
|C1 (Advanced) (Minimum)||176 (Reading – 169, Writing- 169, Listening- 169, Speaking- 169)|
|CBSE and ISC (Minimum)||70%|
For postgraduate degree, apart from the requirements above, following things are needed:
- A Bachelor’s degree with minimum of 70%
- The applications will be ranked by the admission office and preference is given to academic scores, relevance of bachelor’s degree, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, etc.
Documents Required for Criminology Courses in Australia
To work as a criminologist, you usually need a bachelor’s degree in criminology, criminal justice, justice studies, legal studies, or psychology. You must have completed your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education in English in order to enrol in these courses.
- Official academic transcripts
- English language proficiency score
- University supplementary form
- Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- SAT/GMAT/GRE Score is recommended
- Updated CV/Resume
- A passport & UK Student Visa
- Bank Statements
Criminology Courses in Australia Application Process
According to the admissions standards given below, qualified applicants will be granted available spaces based on merit. Admission to the Criminology courses in Australia needs:
- A filled-in online application and payment of a requisite fee.
- You might need to submit your academic transcripts.
- GRE scores might be required by some institutes.
- English language competency might be required (TOEFL/IELTS).
- Once you submit the application, you might be called for an interview based on your application’s merit.
- If you clear the interview, you can proceed with admissions.
- You will need to submit the first-semester tuition fee to confirm admission and apply for a student visa to study in Australia.
Cost of Studying and Living in Australia
|Expense||Amount in AUD|
|Hostels and Guesthouses||$90 to $150 per week (INR 8,138 )|
|Shared Rental||$95 to $215 per week (INR 11,665 )|
|On-campus||$110 to $280 per week (INR 15,191 )|
|Homestay||$235 to $325 per week (INR 17,633)|
|Rental||$185 to $440 per week (INR 23,872 )|
|Boarding schools||$11,000 to $22,000 a year (INR 11,93,629 )|
Other living expenses
|Expense||Amount in AUD|
|Groceries and eating out||$140 to $280 per week ( INR 15,191)|
|Gas, electricity||$10 to $20 per week ( INR 1,085)|
|Phone and Internet||$15 to $30 per week ( INR 1,627)|
|Public transport||$30 to $60 per week ( INR 3,255)|
|Car (after purchase)||$150 to $260 per week ( INR 14,106)|
|Entertainment||$80 to $150 per week ( INR 8,138)|
Cost of Living
To obtain an Australian student visa, you must meet the Department of Home Affairs’ financial requirements. See the step-by-step Student Visa Subclass 500 application and Document Checklist Tool for guidance on how to provide the proof required to cover the costs of your stay, including your travel, study, and living expenses.
The 12-month living costs are:
For students or guardians – AUD$21,041 (INR 11,41,597)
For partners coming with you – AUD$7,362 (INR 3,99,431)
For a child coming with you – AUD$3,152 (INR 1,71,014)
The table below provides an overview of the range of course costs (per year) for various sorts of credentials.
|Expense||Amount in AUD|
|School||$7,800 to $30,000 ( INR 16,27,676)|
|English language studies||$300 per week depending on course length (INR 16276)|
|Vocational Education and Training (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma)||$4,000 to $22,000 ( INR 11,93,629)|
|Undergraduate Bachelor Degree||$20,000 to $45,000 ( INR 24,41,514)|
|Postgraduate Masters Degree||$22,000 to $50,000 ( INR 27,12,794)|
|Doctoral Degree||$18,000 to $42,000 ( INR 22,78,746)|
Placements & Salary after Pursuing Criminology Courses in Australia
|Social Worker||AU$52k – AU$90k ( INR 4883029)||AU$70,145 (INR 3805778)|
|Account Executive||AU$66k – AU$127k ( INR 6890496)||AU$87,526(INR 4748800)|
|Service Desk Analyst||AU$44k – AU$54k ( INR 2929817)||AU$48,690(INR 2641718)|
|Senior Risk Manager||AU$80k – AU$122k ( INR 6619217)||AU$99,791(INR 5414248)|
|Senior Account Manager||AU$71k – AU$115k ( INR 6239426)||AU$90,540(INR 4912327)|
|Sales Advisor||AU$46k – AU$108k ( INR 5859635)||AU$65,505(INR 3554031)|
|Safety Consultant||AU$62k – AU$131k ( INR 7107520)||AU$87,862(INR 4767030)|
A bachelor’s degree in criminology, criminal justice, justice studies, legal studies, or psychology is normally required to work as a criminologist. In order to enrol in these courses, you must have completed your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education with English.
Job opportunities are available as an analyst for intelligence, analyst of data, officer in charge of the project, officer of the law, officer in charge of child protection, probation and parole case manager, psychologist in charge of prisons, etc.
Based on the salaries at Glassdoor, an early career criminologist with 1-4 years of experience makes an average total compensation of AU$57,325(INR 31,13,144) (including tips, bonus, and overtime pay). A mid-career criminologist with 5-9 years of experience makes an average total salary of AU$60,481 (INR 32,84,853)
Major subject areas include crime and ethics, sociology, administration of law enforcement, detection and investigation of crimes, criminalistics, jurisprudence and criminal law, administration of corrections, etc.
Charles Sturt University
Swinburne Online is a service provided by Swinburne University.
If you want to know more about criminology courses in Australia, or if you want to apply to top Universities, take the help of Leverage Edu to help you guide through the entire process.