Photography in the modern world has become an inseparable element of the media and advertising industry. Not only has it influenced how we consume media but it also has changed our behaviours and buying patterns. We cannot imagine a world without photographs. Social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook would not be that popular if photos were not a part of them. Shopping malls, billboards and e-Commerce websites would look desolate if photos were to be taken out of them. The progression in the entertainment and advertisement industry has led to the unprecedented growth of Photography careers. A spectrum of subfields are available in the field of Photography to choose from and one of the widely pursued is Fashion Photography.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Fashion Photography?
- Eligibility Criteria
- How to Start a Career in Fashion Photography?
- Skill Requirements
- Top Photography Institutions Abroad
- Top Colleges in India for Photography
- List of Fashion Photography Courses
- Types of Jobs in Fashion Photography
- Top Recruiting Agencies
- Famous Fashion Photographers
- Career Scope- Average Salary
What is Fashion Photography?
If you are fascinated by the works of renowned fashion photographers like Mario Testino and Annie Leibovitz, then you must be aware of the fame and adventure they enjoy. The field gained popularity with the emergence of fashion magazines and now in the age of the internet, it has grown multifold. Fashion Photography is a genre of photography like Wildlife Photography which is devoted to exhibiting apparel, jewellery and other fashion accessories. The photographers work closely with designers, brands and models and create impactfully attractive covers. In the competitive market, companies spend a huge amount of resources on building their brand image for which they hire models and photographers. A photographer is responsible for the ideation and shooting process and delivers edited photographs as a final product to the client.
To pursue a career in the field of fashion photography, the aspiring candidates must fulfil the following eligibility criteria.
- The candidate must have completed 10+2 education from a recognized board
- The candidate must have an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in the relevant field such as photography
- The candidate must have a diploma or certificate level course in fashion photography
- The candidate with work experience in the fashion photography field would be considered for better job
- A portfolio of work is necessary during job interviews
How to Start a Career in Fashion Photography?
Choosing a career which is unconventional, is in itself a big decision but if you have a passion for it, the career option can open a myriad of opportunities for you. To start a career in Fashion Photography, the fundamental thing is to have an unquenchable quest to excel in the field.
Take a look at the few ways to start a profession in Fashion Photography:
We often get to hear that to be a photographer, it doesn’t require a degree, which to some extent is true. Though formal education is not needed but professional Photography courses can broaden your understanding of the profile. You can also choose to go for a Diploma in Photography. It requires a great aesthetic as well as technical understanding to be a good photographer and having a mentor enhances your skills. A number of schools abroad offer courses in photography that train the students professionally for the ever-growing industry. Fashion Photography demands a high level of editing skills and shooting methods to create high-resolution images that would appeal to the audiences.
Also read: Photography Courses
Being part of a dynamic field, photographers are hired on the basis of the work they have done. To be a fashion photographer, having a portfolio plays a vital role. Nowadays, photographers choose their best works to display on their websites. If you don’t want to leave any chances unexplored, then you should work on building a strong portfolio.
Once you develop the confidence to work professionally, you should start taking small projects to kickstart your career in Fashion Photography. Freelancing can be a good option to start with. There are plenty of freelancing websites that take minimal charges to connect you to a vast network of clients, be it start-ups or upcoming models.
Also Read: Photography Jobs
A fashion photographer must have the vision of an artist. The technical and interpersonal skills that make a fashion photographer successful are mentioned below.
- Must be a pro at technical devices
- Ability to edit and recreate pictures
- Ability to Handle multiple projects
- Ability to coordinate with team
- Have creativity and artistic approach
- Excellent communication skills
- Efficient at managing time
Top Photography Institutions Abroad
To train photographers professionally, a number of institutes and academies offer dynamic courses in Photography all over the world. The best thing about such courses is the fact that these are taught by experts in the field.
Here is the list of top institutions for Photography around the world:
- Goldsmiths University of London
- Rochester Institute of Photography
- Vevey School of Photography
- California Institute of the Arts
- Ryerson University – School of Image Arts
- Academy of Art University
- Accademia Italiana
- Istituto Europeo Di Design
- New York Institute of Photography
Also read: Photography Jobs
Top Colleges in India for Photography
The Indian university is providing a course in fashion photography or related degrees are mentioned below.
- National Institute of fashion technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of fashion technology, New Delhi
- National Institute of design, Bangalore
- National Institute of fashion technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of fashion technology, Chennai
- National Institute of design, Ahmedabad
- Footwear design and development Institute, Noida
- VIDM Institute of design and management, New Delhi
- YMCA Institute for office management, New Delhi
The fashion photography course can be pursued in online mode also. The platforms to learn fashion photography from are mentioned below.
List of Fashion Photography Courses
The fashion photography courses available for aspiring fashion photographers after class 12th are discussed below.
- Diploma in fashion photography
- Diploma in tabletop photography
- BSc film and photography
- Diploma in photography and videography
- PG diploma in professional photography
- BFA photography
- MFA photography
Also read: Photography Courses in India
Types of Jobs in Fashion Photography
A fashion photographer has a promising career in several job positions. Some of the renowned domains for fashion photographers are mentioned below.
- Fashion Labels
- Fashion Exhibitions and Shows
- Fashion Websites and Magazines
- Advertising Agencies
- Clothes Catalogues
- Event Management and Organizations
- Fashion Studios
- Freelance Photography
Top Recruiting Agencies
The most important and famous recruiting agencies for fashion photographers are mentioned below.
- Vogue India
Famous Fashion Photographers
The world has produced some of the best fashion photographers in history. The most acknowledged and globally popular fashion photographers are listed below.
- Bruce Weber
- Steven Meisel
- Richard Avedon
- Mario Testino
- Annie Leibovitz
- Irving Penn
- Paolo Roversi
- David Bailey
- Dabboo Ratnani
- Vikram Bawa
- Indrani Paul Chaudhuri
- Serin George
- Venket Ram
Also read: Commercial Photography Courses
Career Scope- Average Salary
The average salary of fashion photographers depends on several factors such as the years of work experience, the previous companies they worked with, the type of projects they worked in, their domain of work, and so on.
The pay scale varies depending on the photographer level such as junior or senior photographer. The skills and ability to produce best results in photography are the major criteria for better pay.
The most usual salary of a beginner in fashion photography is around INR 5 lakh per year and can go up to 15 lakh per year. A premier fashion brand or magazine can be even better than that. With gaining experience, A fashion photographer can expect between INR 30 lakh to 40 lakh per year. Sometimes the photographers are paid on the project basis and the duration.
Yes, of course, fashion photography is a safe career choice because many fashion industries in India have plenty of opportunities for fashion photographers. The industry is expanding at enormous rates and so are the career choices. Fashion photographers are paid decent salaries.
The different types of fashion photography are:
The most popular and basic skills of a fashion photographer include creativity, artistic nature, ability to capture moments, excellent communication skills, technical knowledge, ability to use latest devices, time management, efficient teamwork.
Pursuing a career in Fashion Photography can be the right choice for you if you are looking for a progressive growth options. With a prospect for quick fame and lucrative salary packages, the field opens the doors to a plethora of opportunities. If you need more information on the topic and for any career-related advice connect to our trained career counsellors at Leverage Edu.