Are you someone constantly thinking about the right accessories? How to pair a piece of clothing well with the right choice of accessory? Well, if the process of conceptualising outfit choices with accessories interests you, then becoming an accessory designer might be the correct career choice for you! Creativity and artistic mindset are the two main prerequisites for this profession so if you think this is the job for you then keep reading because, in this blog, we shall discuss how to make a career in Accessory Designing in India and find the top colleges and courses!
This Blog Includes:
What is Accessory Designing?
Accessory designing is a diverse, imaginative and innovative field of study where professionals work, create and actualise accessories like jewellery, shoes, bags and belts that elevate high fashion as well as modern-day outfits. Accessory designers, as a part of their work, must carry out detailed research before creating any product. They create designs using their creativity and present their design pieces for marketing. For instance, jewellery designing is a vital branch of accessory designing which involves creating new blueprints for gold, silver and precious metal jewellery whereas shoe and leather designers work with leather and other required materials. Students often work with precious metals, clay, material like paper, plastic, leather etc to create impressive pieces and learn the art of accessory designing.
Skills Needed to Become an Accessory Designer
While becoming an accessory designer might interest you, you must also be aware of the skills you need to possess. As an accessory designer, an individual is expected to stand upto certain expectations and fulfil duties in the truest sense. The required skills of an accessory designer includes –
- Fashion awareness
- Meticulous approach
- Good observation
- Eye for detail
- Good knowledge of CAD
- Ability to visualise and project designs on paper
How to Become an Accessory Designer?
The process is very competitive and in order to become a designer, a candidate must start preparing from the initial stages. We have listed the basic steps required for becoming an accessory designer below –
- Students must complete their 12th from a recognised board in India.
- Candidates must appear for NIFT/NID and secure admission through these entrance exams to a number of design courses.
- Candidates can also pursue a diploma course in Gemmology.
- After completing the course, candidates are free to opt for a specialisation in any particular branch of design.
Explore: How to become a Fashion Designer?
Courses to become an Accessory Designer
A candidate can take up any of the following courses to pursue a career in the world of design. We have listed some of the top courses below :
- B.Des in Accessory Design
- B.Des in Lifestyle Design
- B.Sc in Jewelry and Accessory Design
- B.Sc in Lifestyle and Accessory Design
- Graduate Diploma in Accessory Design
- Post Graduate Diploma in Accessory Design
Top Designing Colleges in India
India has some of the best designing colleges that can help you in overall development in the field. We have listed some of the top colleges for designing below :
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Delhi
- Vogue Institute of Art and Design (VIFT), Bangalore
- Amity Institute of Fashion Technology, Noida
- Pearl Academy, Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Mumbai
- Army Institute of Fashion and Design, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID), Pune
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad
- International Institute of Fashion Design (IIFD), Navi Mumbai
Top Designing Colleges in the World
- Parsons School of Design, USA
- Fashion Institute of Design, USA
- University of the Arts London (UAL), Central Saint Martins, London, UK
- Royal College of Art, UK
- School of Fashion in Milan, Istituto Marangoni
- Politecnico di Milano
- Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne, France
- ESMOD (l’Ecole Supérieure des Arts et techniques de la Mode), Paris, France
- Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Belgium
- Bunka Fashion College, Japan
Related Read: Top Fashion Designing Colleges in India and the World
Scope and Salary
The scope in the field of designing in India is incredible. A candidate can be assigned different roles in multiple industries as well. These include –
- Designer Stores
- Jewellery Houses
- High-End Fashion Labels
- Fashion Houses
- TV & Production Houses
Salary of a is dependent on the years of experience candidates hold and usually increases with experience and time. In India, the annual salary of an accessory designer is INR 5.71 LPA. However, with experience and specialisation, it goes up to INR 9 LPA.
Top Recruiting Agencies
In India, the demand for designers is high. We have listed some of the top recruiting companies hiring designers in India –
- ITC Wills Lifestyle
- D Damas
- Gitanjali Jewellery Pvt.Ltd
- Umbrico India Private Limited
So, this was all about How to make a career in accessory designing. Hope you found this blog insightful and informative. Get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts for assistance throughout the application process.