If you are someone who is intrigued by the feel of texture, quality of cloth, and vibrant colors then we have found the best course for you. With the advancements in technology, clothing has become an important affair for many rather than a necessity, giving rise to new career disciplines. One such new-age course in Textile Designing is pursued by fabric lovers. A Textile Designer works with design teams and clients to formulate unique and outstanding fabrics with the help of software programs. In this blog, we will be discussing various Textile Design courses that will help you weave a vibrant career.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Textile Design
- Popular Textile Design Courses
- Textile Design Entrance Exams
- Textile Design Syllabus
- Skills Required in Textile Design
- Textile Design Courses Eligibility
- Textile Design Courses Fees
- Top Universities for Textile Design Courses
- Textile Design Colleges India
- Scope of Textile Design in India and Abroad
- Job Profiles and Top Recruiters
What is Textile Design
Fashion design is the art of incorporating fashion, creativity, and natural beauty into clothing and accessories. Fashion design evolves across time and cultures, reflecting a wide range of social and cultural perspectives. Fashion design is becoming increasingly popular among the creative since this highly competitive industry provides a wide range of opportunities both in India and overseas. After completing their specialized Design studies, students will have a plethora of options. They might work in the fashion sector, manufacturing and exporting units, or start their own business on the market.
Popular Textile Design Courses
Given below is a list of popular Textile Design Courses that you can sign up for to make an excellent career in the field of Textile:
Bachelor Level Programs
- Bachelors in Textile Technologies, Materials, and Nanomaterials
This bachelor’s program aims to provide the students with technical and specialized knowledge for the development and modernization of the technological processes needed for highly innovative outputs. The program encompasses several subjects including, Textile Fibres, Textile Technology, Textile Chemistry, Polymers, Weaves Structures, Nonwoven Manufacturing, Textile Nanomaterial, Spinning, etc.
- Bachelors in Fashion and Textile Technologies
Students studying this course will have to learn about materials and their production, product development, market development, building a collection, and commerce. The graduates can make lucrative careers in the form of product developers, materials engineers, quality engineers, product managers, or product developers.
- Bachelors of Arts in Textile Designing (Hons)
The program offers students intense knowledge in material, color, and design within a textile print, weave, stitch and knit. The students will develop conceptual thinking about fashion, sustainability, and interior, and exterior design. It promotes the development of studio culture along with special textile workshops.
- Bachelors of Arts in Fashion Textiles: Embroidery
This particular field focuses on the development and promotion of contemporary fashion textiles. Students on this pathway can explore the surface, embellishment, texture, and pattern of the fashion materials and fabrics.
Also Read: Career in Leather Designing
Master Level Programs
- Masters in Textile & Clothing Engineering
The main objective of this program is to provide a complete knowledge of fields of textiles and technologies that are based on some basic principles. The students who are trained in these specializations have places to go.
- Masters of Science in Textile Engineering
Students are taught about developments as well as innovations in textile technologies. They will learn how to design machines, develop new products, duplicate textile products, machines, and processes, and improve the existing textile products, machines, and processes.
- Masters of Arts in Textile Design
Focussing on the environmental problems and roles of designers in such issues, the program offers students to explore innovations in textile design. Learners will be encouraged to innovate new ideas in designing and build more knowledge.
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering – Textiles
Under this course, students are motivated to study the chemical properties of raw materials used in the making of different Textiles. Graduates will be able to follow the overall development of a product in terms of concept, prototype, and preparation. Candidates with MS in Chemical Engineering (Textiles) have excellent career opportunities.
Ph.D. Level Programs
- Ph.D. Textiles and Clothing
The Ph.D. program takes 3 to 6 years to complete and is the highest degree of study in the field of textile design. Admission to these programs is available through the national UGC NET examination.
Other popular Textile Design Courses
Besides these popular Textile Design Courses, there are some other courses that you might consider to make a successful career in Textile Technology:
- Certificate/ Diploma in Textiles
- Foundation Course in Contemporary Textiles
- Foundation Course in Textiles and Surface Design
- Bachelors of Design in Textile Design
- Bachelors of Arts in Costume Construction
- Bachelors of Design in Fashion and Textiles Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation
- Masters in Textiles with Business Studies
- Masters in Textile Design, Fashion, and Management (Research)
- Masters in Textile Design and Clothing Manufacture (Research)
Textile Design Entrance Exams
|Exam||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|NIFT Exam||4th week October 2021 – 3rd week January 2022||3rd week February 2022|
|SOFT CET||November 15, 2020 – April 15, 2021||May 06 to 08, 2021|
|AIRED||November 21, 2020 – To Be Announced (December session)||December 15 – December 25, 2021|
|NID DAT||October 05, 2021 – November 30, 2021||January 02, 2022|
Textile Design Syllabus
|Introduction to Textiles||Structural Fabric Design|
|Computer Application 1 & 2||Structural Fabric Design 1 & 2|
|Textile Art & Craft||Computer-Aided Textile Design|
|Colour & Creation||Fashion Design & Illustration|
|Traditional Textile||Fabric Construction|
|Garment Construction||Textile Dyeing & Printing|
|Adobe Illustrator||Figure and Profile|
|Fashion Marketing||Fabric Ornamentation|
|Textile Chemistry||Basic of Garment Making|
Skills Required in Textile Design
|Creativity / Innovative||Communication Skills|
|Knowledge of colors, shades, and tones||Drawing and Illustration|
|Eye for detail||Visual imagination|
|Understanding of trends and materials||Computer-aided design (CAD)|
Textile Design Courses Eligibility
The completion of a 12th or equivalent level from a recognized board of education or institution is the fundamental qualifying condition for admission to Textile Design Courses. The following is a list of requirements for Textile Design Courses.
- For undergraduate courses, you must have completed your 12th grade or equivalent with a minimum of 50% in aggregate.
- After completing graduation in the applicable subject or discipline, a candidate is qualified for the postgraduate, advanced diploma, or postgraduate diploma studies in Textile Design.
- After finishing class 12th from a recognized board such as CBSE or ICSE, a candidate is eligible for diploma programs.
- Depending on the subject and college to which one is applying, the minimum qualifying grades necessary may range from 50 percent to 60 percent.
- Candidates’ upper age restriction in various institutions should be between 23 and 35 years old, depending on the program.
Textile Design Courses Fees
|Minimum Fees||Maximum Fees|
|UG||24.00 K||11.88 Lakhs|
|PG||16.00 K||8.49 Lakhs|
|DOCTORAL||2.90 Lakhs||2.90 Lakhs|
|DIPLOMA||12.22 K||20.00 Lakhs|
Top Universities for Textile Design Courses
Given below are the top universities for Textile Design courses:
- Central Saint Martins, England
- Parsons, The New School for Design, United States
- Bunka Fashion College, Japan
- Fashion Institute Of Technology, United States
- Royal College of Art, England
- University of Westminster, England
- LASALLE College for Arts, Singapore,
- Antwerp Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Belgium
Textile Design Colleges India
|College Name||Average Fees|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||INR 2,24,000 — 2,71,000|
|NIFT Mumbai||INR 2,24,000 — 3,00,000|
|NIFT Hyderabad||INR 2,24,000 — 2,98,000|
|NIFT Chennai||INR 2,29,000 — 2,98,000|
|NID Ahmedabad||INR 3,31,000 — 3,75,000|
|ESEDS School of Design||INR 1,20,000 — 6,25,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||INR 8,000 — 25,000|
|Pearl Academy||INR 3,95,000 — 4,96,000|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design||INR 4,20,000|
Scope of Textile Design in India and Abroad
Every day, the fashion sector and allied industries expand, generating a global desire for their services. Its expanding potential has resulted in considerable demand for fashion-related courses at all academic levels. The everyday application of fashion in terms of clothing, furnishings, jewelry, and items has broadened the discipline’s frontiers and has recently attracted a large number of students and recruiters. The worldwide and local fashion industries have grown, providing more opportunities for fashion design students. Students who complete their Fashion Design courses successfully are hired by worldwide and domestic design businesses and companies, periodicals, and major labels, and they can even establish their independent fashion businesses.
Job Profiles and Top Recruiters
In India, a lot of organizations recruit persons who have completed a Fashion Design school. The educational credentials and experience of fashion designers influence their vocation and title. Companies recruit them for the above-mentioned jobs and profiles. Some of the most well-known recruiting firms are as follows:
- Van Heusen
- Swarovski India
- ITC Limited
- Sabyasachi Mukherjee
- Rohit Bal
- Varun Behl
- Reid & Taylor
- Allen Solly
- Global Desi
- Marks & Spencer
- Shoppers Stop
|Fashion Stylist||Rs. 2,40,000 – Rs. 10,00,000|
|Fashion Designer||Rs. 1,80,000 – Rs. 4,00,000|
|Fashion Consultant||Rs. 2,20,000 – Rs. 6,00,000|
|Fashion Illustrator||Rs. 2,00,000 – Rs. 5,00,000|
|Fashion Coordinator||Rs. 3,00,000 – Rs. 8,00,000|
|Fashion Merchandiser||Rs. 2,40,000 – Rs. 5,00,000|
Hopefully, we covered all major Textile Design courses that are available around the globe. However, it is natural for you to have some kind of queries regarding your career choice. If that is the case, worry no more, as Leverage Edu is here to your rescue. Our expert mentors and counselors provide the best career guidance to help you reach heights. Book a free 30 minutes session with our counselors.