Styling any outfit with stunning jewellery pieces can spark up its overall look and appeal. It is the extraordinary craft of the jewellery making that possesses the allure and glitter to transform any simple dress into a shimmering one! But making any jewellery ornament needs craftsmanship, excellent creativity as well as attention to detail. More than an art, it has been among the sought-after courses in the field of Fine Arts. There are many courses offered in this specialised field by top universities around the world. This blog brings you a list of top Jewellery Design courses, universities as well as the career scope they entail!
This Blog Includes:
- What is Jewellery Designing?
- Why Study Jewellery Design Courses?
- Popular Jewellery Design Courses
- Types of Jewellery Design Courses
- Jewellery Design Courses Online
- Major Subjects
- Skills Required to be a Jewellery Designer
- Top Universities Offering Jewellery Design Courses
- Job Opportunities
- Employment Areas
- Top Recruiters
What is Jewellery Designing?
Emerging as a popular field of Art and Design, Jewellery Designing is a lucrative field of study that focuses on conceptualising different designs for making jewellery and ornaments as well as their manufacturing and other technicalities. Students pursuing Jewellery Designing courses are generally equipped with multifarious aspects of design and manufacturing ranging from cutting gems, polishing metals, engraving as well as post-production processes like promotion, commercial aspects, and quality control, amongst others.
Check Out: Best Designing Courses
Why Study Jewellery Design Courses?
- Choosing a career in Jewellery Design is never in vain; students learn about jewellery creation and design, as well as all the other aspects that are important in Jewellery Designing.
- Metallurgy, Ornament Designing, Diamond Grading and Sorting, CAD, Portfolio Development, Gemology, Beading Art, and other topics and subjects are covered in Jewellery Design courses.
- After completing Jewellery Design courses, instead of working for a brand or company, one can begin entrepreneurship by launching their own brand with their own Jewellery designs.
- A Jewellery Design course teaches new skills necessary for a successful career in the Jewellery Design industry, such as Product Development, Graphic Design, Market Research, Creativity, and so on.
- According to Glassdoor, the average salary of a Jewellery Designer in their first few years of work in India is INR 3,80,172 per year.
Popular Jewellery Design Courses
To help you explore the best options that suit your interests and preferences, we have curated the following list of Jewellery Design courses offered at the diploma, certificate, undergraduate and postgraduate level:
|Diploma & Certificate||ICI Advanced Diploma in Jewellery Design
Certificate in Metal Jewellery Design
Visual Arts Certificate in Studio, Jewellery Design and Metalsmithing
|Undergraduate||BA/BA (Hons)/BDes Jewellery Design
BFA/BA (Hons) in Silversmithing & Jewellery Design
BCom in Jewellery Design Technology
BA/BSc in Jewellery Design & Management
BA Jewellery & Accessories
Bachelor’s in Design Crafts
|Postgraduate||MA Design (Jewellery)
Master’s in Jewellery & Metals
Master’s in Jewellery
Master’s in Contemporary Jewellery
Master’s in International Jewellery Management
Master’s in 3D Design & Crafts
Recommended Read: Career in Product Design
Types of Jewellery Design Courses
In Jewellery design Courses, there are several degrees to choose from. Among the numerous degrees available, some of the most popular are Certificate in Jewelry Design Courses, Diploma in Jewelry Design Courses, and Postgraduate in Jewelry Design Courses.
- Certificate jewellery design courses are available on popular online learning platforms such as Udemy and Skillshare.
- The majority of Jewellery Design courses are self-paced, which is advantageous for working professionals who want to pursue them.
- Certificate jewellery design courses teach you important skills like creating CAD models of your final product, using Alcohol Ink Methods, Wire Wrapping, and Stringing, among others.
- These courses are ideal for people who want to learn new skills while working another full-time job.
- Certificate jewellery design classes are also an excellent option for students who have recently completed their 10th or 12th-grade exams.
- A broader skill set obtained through these certificate programmes will undoubtedly help you land your dream job.
Diploma in Jewellery Design
- A Diploma in Jewellery Design prepares students to work as jewellery designers by providing them with the necessary skills and training. The programme is for a year.
- This field of study teaches students fundamental skills such as stone cutting, engraving, polishing, and determining the value of precious stones and metals.
- The course teaches and assists a jewellery enthusiast in developing a strong aesthetic vision in order to create a technical sketch, model it with computer-aided design (CAD) software, and choose the best stones for manufacturing.
- The six-month to one-year course covers the mechanics of creating jewellery that appeals to the broadest range of buyers.
Undergraduate in Jewellery Design
- Because of the variety of opportunities available, many students who have completed their 12th grade prefer to pursue Bachelor’s in Jewellery Design courses.
- Bachelor Jewellery Design programmes last three years.
- Admission to bachelor’s degree programmes in Jewellery Design is solely based on merit, as determined by the candidate’s performance in various entrance exams such as the NID, AIEED, CEED, and NIFT.
- These courses provide an in-depth understanding of jewellery creation through classroom sessions.
- The average salary for a bachelor’s degree in jewellery design is INR 4-5 lakh.
Postgraduate in Jewellery Design
- Master Jewellery Design courses can be pursued after a candidate has earned a bachelor’s degree in a related subject from a recognised university. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher before applying for master’s programmes in jewellery design.
- Admission to master’s degree programmes in jewellery design is granted solely on the basis of merit. The candidate’s graduating grade point average is used to determine admission.
- The application process for college jewellery design courses is available both online and offline.
Jewellery Design Courses Online
Aside from regular courses, jewellery design courses can also be pursued online via various education portals. Some of the best online courses for jewellery design are listed below for your convenience.
|Wire wrapping: jewellery making for beginners||490|
|Jewellery design using rhino||490|
|Jewellery making: alcohol ink pendant necklace||504|
|Jewellery making: beading techniques and stitches||490|
|Jewellery rendering using keyshot||12,800|
The course structure and curriculum and subjects for Jewellery Design courses differ as per the programme and university. To provide you with a general overview of the course content for this field of study, we have listed below some of the major subjects incorporated under these courses:
- Design Concepts
- Elements of Design
- Theme-based Design
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Setting Gemstones in Jewellery
- Design and Colour Theory
- Computer Applications for Jewellery Design
- Design Foundation for Jewellery
- Metal and Stone Rendering Techniques
- Drawing Skills- Freehand, Perspective and Object Drawing, etc.
- Geometry of design
- Basic Qualities of a Gem
- History of Jewellery
- Tools & Equipment
- Philosophy of Colour
- Methods Employed in Gem Mining
- Physical & Optical Properties of Gems
- Cutting Process, Magnification, Gripping, Posture & Techniques of Marking
- Finishing Processes
- Decorative Engraving
- Mining, Occurrence & Major deposits of the World
- Importance of Quality Check
- Stages of Quality Check
Must Read: Graphic Design Courses
Skills Required to be a Jewellery Designer
|Adobe Creative Suite||Graphic Design|
|Product Design||Art Shows|
|Design Process||Product Development|
|Market Research||Trade Shows|
Top Universities Offering Jewellery Design Courses
A plethora of specialised colleges and universities around the world offer Jewellery Design courses that one can choose from. Take a look at the major academic institutions you must explore for pursuing programmes in this field of Design:
- Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD) University
- North Island College
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of the Arts, London
- LaSalle College
- Glasgow School of Art
- Birmingham State University
- Melbourne Polytechnic
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Dundee
- Istituto Marangoni London
- Raffles Design Institute, Singapore
- New Jersey City University
Recommended Read: Web Designing Courses
By completing a diploma or degree programme in Jewellery Design, you can explore varied career opportunities in diverse sectors. From Gemology to Fashion and Merchandising, there are plenty of career prospects one can avail and some of these prominent ones have been listed below:
- Jewellery Designer
- Jewellery Merchandiser
- Exhibition Manager
- Production Manager
- Assistant Manager in Exploration
- Writer & Drafter
- Embroidery Maker & Innovator
- Manager in the Museum & Art Gallery
- Sales Representative
- Fashion Consultant
- Planning and Concept Manager
- Gem Grinder
- Gem Polisher
- Gemstone Appraiser
- Jewellery Setter
- Gem Assorter
- Jewel Business Owner
- Sales Associate
- Jewellery Historian
- Grading Consultant
- Auction House Cataloguer
Check Out: MDes (Master of Design)
Along with career scope of Jewellery Design courses, take a look at the top employment areas that graduates in this field must consider:
|Gem Retailing||Research and Development Organizations||Educational Institutions|
|Manufacturing Industry||Writing and Publishing Houses||Cultural & Art Jobs|
|Precious Stones Consultancies||Laboratories||Jewellery Designing Companies|
|Tanishq||P C Chandra Jewellers|
|Gitanjali Jewellers||Malabar Gold and Diamonds|
|Inter Gold India Limited||Schachter Jewellery|
|Amrapali Jewels||Orra Jewellery|
|TBZ – Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri Ltd.||PC Chandra Jewellers|
Want to explore more about different designing courses? Check out Car Designing Courses!
Candidates who wish to pursue a UG degree course in Jewellery Design must have completed their Class 12/ HSC/ 10+2 (or equivalent exam) with passing grades from a recognised board. Aspirants from any discipline, including Arts, Commerce, and Science, are eligible to pursue a course in Jewellery Design.
A candidate in the Jewellery Designing field is taught to conceptualise jewellery designs and to manufacture various jewellery products. Students are taught how to cut gems, engrave, and polish noble metals.
If you have a creative imagination and a good sense of design, jewellery design could be a good career path for you. Those with the ability and skill to understand the latest market and design trends can pursue it.
Jewellery designing is one of the highly creative and rewarding careers in contemporary times. Apprehensive about how to choose from the different Jewellery Design courses mentioned above? Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and let us help you find the best course and university that can equip you with the required knowledge, skillset and exposure to building a sparkling career in this field!