Fresh graduates are full of zest to complete every goal and career aspirations of theirs. Whether you want to join that big company in your desired role or enter your dream university, you will require your past qualifications to get highlighted so as to help recruiters or the admission panel to gauge through your strengths, weaknesses and academic performance. Even though your degree is one of the first documents that is required to take a step ahead in your career, the need for a provisional certificate arises when you are required to submit the proof of completion of your education to an admission board or for a job profile.
Since a university generally requires some months to a year to provide the graduates with their degree, they give a provisional degree certificate which is valid for six months or until the next convocation, whichever comes earlier. Let us have a detailed look at what a provisional degree certificate is, why you need one and how to get it from your academic institution!
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Provisional Certificate?
- What is a Provisional Degree Certificate?
- Why do you Need a Provisional Degree Certificate?
- Difference between Provisional and Degree Certificate
- Where & How to Get A Provisional Degree Certificate?
- Is the Certificate Valid for Study/Work Opportunities Abroad?
- Provisional Degree Format
- Application Format
- Sample Provisional Degree Certificate
What is a Provisional Certificate?
Issued when the original degree is not available to the student, a provisional certificate is a proof to show that the concerned individual has attained education form that university/college. It is widely used when one has to apply for higher education or a job.
- It consists of the name of the student and the course perused.
- It is temporary in nature and generally also has a validity period.
What is a Provisional Degree Certificate?
Provisional Degree Certificate is a temporary document provided by a university until a permanent degree is issued and imparted on convocation. Generally, it continues to be a valid certificate for around 6 months or until a degree is issued to the students. It has no expiry date per se. However, the day your degree is issued by your institute, the Provisional Certificate will no longer hold any importance. It is mainly dispensed as a temporary replacement for the degree and this certificate is proof of the fact that the degree has not been issued yet.
Why do you Need a Provisional Degree Certificate?
When you are applying for higher studies either in India or to start a career abroad or for a job, academic records play a pivotal part throughout the process. To understand the need for a provisional degree certificate, gauge through the following points:
- A degree is a document that establishes how you have successfully completed a particular academic course or program and also acts as proof of how you have completed the base level education in your chosen field. However, it takes some time to be issued by any university, which is why there is always a need for a document that can take its place temporarily.
- Therefore, it is dispensed for a small period of time in place of the academic degree and assures those trying to hire you or give you admission to the fact that you have successfully cleared all the levels of the mentioned course or program. This way, it is an important document for recent graduates of a program and for admission boards or hiring institutions trying to assess their academic background.
Must Read: Study Certificate Format
Difference between Provisional and Degree Certificate
|Provisional Certificate||Degree Certificate|
|It is temporary in nature||It is permanent|
|One has to submit an application for the issue of a provisional certificate||No prior application is needed. It is issued by the university on convocation or a day specified|
|It is valid for a period of 6 months or until convocation||Since it’s a formal degree, there are no validity criteria for a degree certificate|
Where & How to Get A Provisional Degree Certificate?
One needs to get in touch with their academic institution to apply for a provisional degree certificate. The process of issuing the certificate might differ from one university to another, as some might provide you with the provisional in a couple of days while others might take longer. But institutions usually make the certificate available in three months while the degree gets issued in a year or two.
If you are aiming to go for higher education or applying for a job, the concerned institution will require you to provide a provisional certificate to prove that you have completed a certain degree. In this case, you need to contact the administration department of your university and fill out an application for getting a provisional document. Depending upon the institution, you will be issued this certificate somewhere within a week to a month.
Process of Issuance of Provisional Certificate at IIT Mandi
A household name, IIT Mandi is one of the most popular amongst the list of IITs. Just like scores of other universities both in India and abroad, IITs also have their own set procedure for issuing provisional degree certificates to its students. Here are a few points you need to remember:
- The certificate is issued to those students who satisfy the criteria for the award of a degree.
- Those who want a provisional degree certificate should have cleared all their pending dues.
- The application for the same has to be submitted to Deans’ Secretariat [Kamand Campus].
- It should include graduates name, roll number, phone number, course, and full communication address.
- For applications related to the issuance of duplicate certificates, the form has to be sent to the Assistant Registrar. To understand the process of obtaining an original degree certificate, click here.
Is the Certificate Valid for Study/Work Opportunities Abroad?
There are several documents required when you are planning to study abroad which are as follows:
1. Entrance Test Scores
2. Application form from the University
3. Academic Certificates:
|Grade Transcripts and Certificates of 10th Std||Grade Transcripts and Certificates of 12th Std|
|Diploma Certificates and Transcripts||Bachelor’s Degree and Transcripts|
|Master’s Degree and Transcripts|
These are some of the academic documents needed when you are applying to an institute. However, in case your degree has not been issued, you can make use of the provisional certificate to apply. It can be used for any purpose that requires the submission of degree copy.
However, for usage in UAE, an Indian Provision Degree Certificate needs to get attested from the country the candidate wishes to study. In other countries, the attestation can be done from the country it is issued from. But, the degree is important as any institute around the world will definitely require the degree at some point in time later.
Provisional Certificate is quite essential for jobs as well as higher studies application. It is quite easy to apply for this Certificate and you can receive it quickly to move to the next step of your career. Most of the time, it is accompanied by the last semester’s mark sheet.
Provisional Degree Format
With an aim to not deprive any student to pursue higher education or apply for a job, a provisional certificate is issued by scores of universities across the world. Enlisted are the details that are broadly covered in an interim degree:
- Details of the degree program pursued by an individual.
- Student name, enrollment ID, and department/college name.
- Passing year and the distinction/CGPA obtained.
- Signature and stamp of the concerned authority along with date and place of issue.
Sample Provisional Degree Certificate
Q1. What is meant by a provisional degree certificate?
It is a temporary certificate provided by the educational institution to students completing their graduation. It remains valid until a permanent degree is issued only on the next convocation. A Provisional Certificate is usually valid for a period of 6 months or until the date of convocation, whichever comes earlier. This document can be used until the original certificate is issued at various platforms like jobs and admissions.
Q2. How to get a provisional certificate?
Every academic institution has their own process for issuing the provisional degree certificate to the graduates. You need to inquire at your university about the same and apply for the certificate at their concerned department. Commonly, the provisional certificate is provided within a week of the application and remains valid until convocation.
Q3. Is provisional certificate a degree? Is degree certificate and provisional certificate same?
Degree certificates are different from provisional certificates. A degree certificate draws light on the kind of course as well as the specialization pursued by a candidate, whereas, a provisional certificate has details related to marks secured in a particular course.
Q4. Is provisional degree certificate valid? How long is it valid for?
As long as the candidate does not receive their original certificates, they can use the provisional certificate at the time of admission, jobs, etc. However, once the official document is issued, provisional one can not be used. Usually, provisional certificates are valid for a period of three to six months as the university or college issues an original document in this duration.
Hopefully, this blog has given you clarity about Provisional Degree Certificate. With the information provided in this blog, planning the next steps of your career will become easier. For better understanding and for the best plan regarding the next steps of your career, the experts at Leverage Edu are just a phone call away. Call us at +91-8826200293 today for the best career advice in your choice of field.