All work and no play? We assume you know the rest! With the increasing demand and focus on academics, extracurricular activities are overlooked. However, it is crucial that students begin to identify their interests, hobbies and continue to work on them passionately. The concept of extracurricular activities begins early at school where students are encouraged to participate in various creative and sports activities. This helps them develop various interpersonal skills and makes them physically and mentally healthy. In this blog, we will try to understand the importance of extracurricular activities.
This Blog Includes:
What are Extracurricular Activities?
Extracurricular Activities has many synonyms like extra academic or cultural activities. These are voluntarily performed by students and fall outside the realm of academics and study. The activities are chosen by the students based on their unique talents and interest. Students often carry out their pursuits in groups comprising of students of all ages. Teachers and other staff members often look over these activities, guide students, and help them perform at a bigger level like annual days, sports days, school events, etc.
Unique Extra Academic Activities
Among the many activities that students can participate in, we have listed a few unique extracurricular activities for people to build suitable skills.
- English Club
- Theatre Club
- Social Service
- Mathematics Clubs
- Sports Activities
- Spelling Bee Competitions
- Science and Experiments
- Dance and Singing
- Debate Club
Importance of Extracurricular Activities
To emphasize the importance of extracurricular activities, it is important to understand that academics isn’t just about studying and getting good grades. Our lives are more about what we do with practical knowledge than theoretical learnings. extracurricular activities help students in numerous ways which have also been scientifically proven.
- Students learn to become more confident and expressive by joining clubs or teams of their interest.
- These activities help them multitask and increases efficiency in their work.
- Many studies have shown that students who participate in extra-academic activities also had lesser absenteeism.
- Cultural activities also help students overcome cultural shock and makes them more social, tolerant and accepting in nature.
- Participating in such activities also reduces anti-social behaviour and makes students emotionally coherent.
- Students develop a unique set of skills like leadership, communication, management, etc. that help them in their careers.
Importance of Extracurriculars in Admissions
The admission team at any institution in the world is now looking for candidates who have skills beyond academics. Extracurricular activities are the best way to highlight involvements in tasks and ventures that aren’t conventionally taught in classrooms. It helps boost your application and gives you an edge over other applicants.
- Extracurricular activities help the admission team to know that the student is up for commitment and has the ability to take initiative.
- It also shows that you possess social skills and other requisites soft skills like leadership, communication, etc.
- Cultural activities showcase that the candidate is open-minded and adaptable to various cultures.
- Students who participate in Social Services highlight their fervour to help other communities.
- Extracurricular activities highlight your enthusiasm to explore beyond the classroom and study domains.
Activities for Resume/Applications
Extracurricular activities play a major role in their resume or college application. The college or recruitment team can understand your skills and competency better through the activities you mention. They also get to know about your accomplishments in the field. Students can quote strong examples of how they used the learnings from that skill in their personal and professional life. Here are a few activities to add to your resume/applications.
- Member of the Student Council
- Foreign Langages
- Participation in Volunteer Work
- Elocution Competition
- Playing an Instrument
It is essential that students focus on their unique talents, interests, and passion and abstain from falling for peer pressure. Choose the most suitable activity and work on it. This will also make you more independent and create a sense of responsibility.
We hope you understood the importance of extracurricular activities. No matter what activity you pick, work hard on it and make sure you hone your skills. There are numerous scholarships available for students based on specific skills. If you have been active in co-curricular activities and are searching for scholarships, Leverage Edu experts can help you find an ideal scholarship to support your dream of pursuing higher education abroad.