The United States of America has long been the dream destination of individuals who are aiming for quality higher education. The country stands to its status as a ‘superpower’ when it comes to its academic strength. It has seen the birth of not just its native leaders, but many global leaders of the contemporary era. Be it any profession, there are institutes in the US providing ace education along with rewarding work experience. Owing to this quality, many gifted students from other countries immigrate to the states and later settle in the country, further advancing its pool of quality human resources. So, let us try and understand what makes the institutions in the country so special and review some of the top universities in USA with the help of this article.
|Country||United States of America (USA)|
|Universities ranking on QS (2022)||177|
|Popular Universities||Stanford University, Harvard University, California Institute of Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, etc.|
|Intakes||Fall, Spring and Summer|
|English Proficiency Test||Required (IELTS / TOEFL / PTE)|
|Subject Proficiency Exam||Required (SAT / ACT / GMAT / GRE)|
|Average Cost of Study||UG: $32,000 (INR 23,82,704)PG: $35,000 (INR 26,06,082)|
|Student Visa||F-1 Visa, M-1 Visa, J-1 Visa|
|Best Student Cities||New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC|
This Blog Includes:
Top 50 Best Universities in USA
It would not be hyperbole to call the USA the Land of Modern Learning. The States offers hundreds of world-known Universities which provide pathbreaking education and set new milestones every day in the field of research and academics. Here are some of the leading universities in the country offering a variety of courses:
Perks of Studying in Universities in USA
The USA has grown so high in its global stature over the years that its educational prowess needs no introduction. Apart from the world-leading living conditions and efficient course structure, USA education system has numerous features that draw students from across the oceans to pursue a degree in the land of opportunities. Here are some of them:
- Pursuing higher education in the USA comes packaged with an opportunity to experience the 1st world lifestyle for all students. It is not just fulfilling, but a learning experience for students as they learn how to better conduct themselves personally and professionally.
- Universities in USA top the rankings chart every coming year for good reason. Presently, Universities in USA are the most prolific in producing polished talent for a variety of disciplines and domains. Not only they are recognised all over the world, but individuals holding degrees from these universities also hold a niche in the eyes of the recruiters owing to the sheer brand value of American universities.
- While the standard tuition fees may be high for students, American universities offer generous scholarship opportunities to domestic and foreign students alike to study in USA. Students with innate endowments can find it easy to score a scholarship for pursuing their course.
- Individuals who do not wish to limit themselves to a master’s degree must seriously consider pursuing higher education in the states. The research opportunities and resources available with the universities are unparalleled in the whole world. Having a degree from the USA can make it easier to pursue a PhD from the same country or even the same university.
Top Universities in USA: Eligibility Criteria
When exploring the top Universities in the USA, it is essential to map the means by which students can get a place in those universities themselves. While premier institutes are demanding by default, here is a set of criteria that will help you set the course of direction for your efforts:
- Naturally, students must have a valid USA student Visa with validity as long as the educational venture. This includes the course term, as well as any work experience that the students may seek in the USA.
- For undergraduate courses, students must have good academic performance in their high school exams. Similarly, for masters, students must have a decent score in their graduation course.
- Most universities require students to appear for an ability test. At the undergraduate level, SATs is a commonly accepted aptitude test for a variety of courses, especially in the USA. At the postgraduate level, tests like GMAT and GRE are given adequate weightage.
- English proficiency exams like IELTS and TOEFL are a must not just for the USA, but for any predominantly English-speaking country.
- All universities in USA slight variations in its application procedure and requirements, hence it is highly advisable to visit the website of preferred universities so as to be prepared with all the requirements for the university.
Note: In the light of present situations owing to the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, the US authorities have made changes in their immigration and visa policies. The universities have also temporarily changed their course term and timings. Students are advised to stay updated about the present scenario and take steps accordingly. Here is a blog to assist you further: How to Study Abroad Amid the Havoc of Coronavirus
Related Read: Best Engineering Colleges in USA
Famous Universities in USA
Here are some of the top-rated and world-renowned universities in USA that are described below:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
A constant feature among the top Universities in the world, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is a premier private institution located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Apart from its researching prowess, MIT is particularly known for its technical courses, most of which are centered around the field of technology and innovation. Some of the most popular courses hosted by MIT are:
- Aeronautics and Aerospace Studies
- Biological Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Military Science
The university is associated with as many as 93 Nobel Laureates to this date, creating wonders for humankind in all fields of life.
Named after the founding senator Leland Stanford, Stanford is a name synonymous with quality higher education all around the world. Stanford University is quite rewarding with its academic environment, reflected by the freshman retention rate of 98%. The University has an annual enrolment of over 15,000 students, across its seven dedicated schools of:
The school has a remarkable campus environment, spanning an area in excess of 8,000 acres, full of cultural diversity among students and faculty. This reflects in the laurels won by its alumnus, with about 17 Nobel laureates in the Stanford community. In addition to its degree courses, the university has a renowned research facility, with more than 6,800 projects currently underway with an estimated budget of 1.6bn dollars.
Established as early as 1636, Harvard University is the oldest university in the United States of America. This gigantic university houses about 2400 faculty members and more than 22,000 full-time and part-time students. It is a culmination of 12-degree schools, the most popular among which are:
- Harvard Business School
- Harvard Medical School
- Harvard School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
- Harvard Law School
The university is particularly known for its MBA course, producing many able leaders throughout history like Bill Gates and Ratan Tata. And not just corporate leaders, ex-presidents of the USA, Barrack Obama is also an alumnus of the organization.
California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
Previously known as Throop University, Caltech has seen rapid growth in the past years in its recognition as one of the leading educational institutes of the world. Equipped with state-of-the-art technology and equipment, Caltech is a research institute known for its expertise in Natural Sciences and Engineering. With an admit rate as low as 8%, Caltech is made for those who are driven towards their goals, as the university houses, all the resources students can possibly need to further their education. Some of the most popular subjects chosen by students for various courses at Caltech are:
- Earth Sciences
- Computer Science
The university has a pretty strong alumni network, with many alumni working at the university, while as many as 74 are Nobel Laureates as of today.
Yes, it is feasible to study for free in the United States. There are several scholarships available in which students can obtain full coverage of their primary expenditures such as tuition, housing, health insurance, and so on.
Yes, it is possible to study in USA once you have completed your class 12th. A plethora of UG courses is available in an array of traditional as well as trending fields. However, the majority of the students opt to pursue STEM courses in the USA. To select the best UG course, get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu.
Here is a list of 6 most affordable universities in USA for international students:
The City University of New York
University of the People
Alcorn State University in Mississippi
Minot State University in North Dakota
South Texas College
California State University, Long Beach
List of top tuition-free universities in USA for international students are as follows:
College of the Ozarks
Curtis Institute of Music
City University of New York (CUNY)
State of Washington Universities
Alice Lloyd College
This concludes the insight on top Universities in the USA. If you are enamored by the plethora of opportunities in the United States of America and want to delve deeper into the world of quality foreign education, we can provide you with just the right assistance. At Leverage Edu, we are designed to cater to all your foreign higher education needs. Right from choosing the correct University and course combination to the enrollment and admission procedures, we have got your back. So, let’s begin with a free e-meeting with our career experts to set the sails to success today!