Do you know London’s transportation system is one of the oldest and largest in the world? Likewise, the UK is known for having one of the oldest and largest clusters of education institutions across the globe. So much so that more than 400K of student population resides in London. The state leads in various education programs and courses like Engineering, Business, Humanities, Medicine, etc. However, Medicine is one of the highlights and competitive programs for students to opt for. It’s quality research programs, diverse culture, and professional training has attracted many students globally. Let’s go through the blog and explore other details for studying MBBS in the UK in 2021!
This Blog Includes:
About MBBS in the UK
MBBS in the UK is referred to as the equivalent of Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery which is called as MB ChB or MB BCh at some UK Universities. The duration of MBBS in the UK is 5-6 years. Most of the British medicine courses comprise a six to twelve-week elective period in which students get an opportunity to study outside their home medical university.
Many students utilize this chance to unravel a different culture and experience of how medicine is viewed and practised around the globe. It doesn’t matter whether you work in the UK or in any other country after the completion of the course, you will have the opportunity to earn a generous salary thanks to the elite British degree in your name. Graduates who have earned a medical degree from the UK are making £21,000-£47,000.
Also Read: Student Life in UK
Fees & Costs of Studying MBBS in UK
Here is the annual tuition fees of top medical schools offering MBBS in UK:
|University||Course & Duration||Annual Tuition Fees|
|University of Oxford||BM BCh Medicine/ 6 years||£22,879 (INR 21,63,972)|
|University of Cambridge||MB BChir/ 6 years||£52,000 (INR 49,18,315)|
|University College London (UCL)||MBBS/BSC Medicine/ 6 years||£39,363 (INR 37,22,925)|
|Imperial College London||MBBS/BSC Medicine/ 6 years||£45,640(INR 43,16,661)|
|The University of Edinburgh||MBChB Medicine/ 5 years||£27,456(INR 25,96,806)|
|King’s College London||MBBS Medicine/ 5 years||£30,266(INR 28,62,912)|
|University of Glasgow||MBChB/ 5 years||£47,900(INR 45,30,943)|
|University of Manchester||MBChB/ 5 years||£26,616(INR 25,17,562)|
|Newcastle University||MBBS Medicine and Surgery/ 5 years||£33,600(INR 31,78,167)|
|Queen Mary University of London||MBBS Medicine/ 5 years||£39,363 (INR 37,23,667)|
Depending on your lifestyle and place of residing, the cost of studying in UK might vary. Apart from the tuition fee, the one-time Pre-arrival cost is £900 which includes expenses incurred in:
- Application Fees
- Visa Application Fees
- IELTS Registration
- TOEFL Registration
- NEET Fees
The cost of living may depend on the location and your daily expenses. The average cost for living in London can be £1,020/month and outside London, it may come down to £820. You can also opt for an off-campus sharing based residence with many options like apartments, flats, or hostels. The UK has a high-class living style so you shouldn’t bother about the standard of accommodation and hygiene. The monthly bills include transportation, food, electricity, and gas bills.
Also Read: Understanding UK University Clearing 2020
It is important to check the eligibility criteria required for MBBS in the UK. Carefully evaluate the following points for ease of your admission procedure:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old
- Required score in your 10+2 in Chemistry and Biology is at least 80 % (AAA grade)
- For international students wishing to pursue MBBS in the UK, an IELTS score of 7.0 is necessary.
- For MBBS in the UK, you will also have to provide scores of NEET/UKCAT/BMAT/GMSAT. Here are the minimum scores required for MBBS in UK:
|Name of the Test||Minimum Score Required|
|BMAT||4.5 – 5.0|
|GAMSAT||60 – 66|
Where to Study MBBS in UK?
The medical universities in the UK are well equipped with modern apparatus and have renowned faculty to ensure the best theoretical and practical teaching possible. These universities are designed in a way that students get their hands dirty with theory as well as practical work. They even allow medical students to interact with patients for a better understanding of the concepts that these students learn in the classrooms. Academic in MBBS requires a perfect blend of theoretical and practical knowledge along with research opportunities.
Here are the top universities for MBBS in the UK:
|Rank||University||Course & Duration|
|#1||University of Oxford||BM BCh Medicine/ 6 years|
|#2||University of Cambridge||MB BChir/ 6 years|
|#3||University College London (UCL)||MBBS/BSC Medicine/ 6 years|
|#4||Imperial College London||MBBS/BSC Medicine/ 6 years|
|#5||The University of Edinburgh||MBChB Medicine/ 5 years|
|#6||King’s College London||MBBS Medicine/ 5 years|
|#7||University of Glasgow||MBChB/ 5 years|
|#8||University of Manchester||MBChB/ 5 years|
|#9||Newcastle University||MBBS Medicine and Surgery/ 5 years|
|#10||Queen Mary University of London||MBBS Medicine/ 5 years|
MBBS Admissions in UK 2021
If you’re from Non-EU state, then make sure that you apply to the universities before 1 September 2021 and 30 June 2021 (depending on the semester). Moreover, if you’re from an EU state, apply before 15 January of the same year. Otherwise, you may face obstacles in the admission by getting listed in the late applicants. Here is the admission process for MBBS in the UK:
- You have to identify that university and course which suits you the most. Don’t worry, we at Leverage Edu can help you shortlist the universities that best match with your career goals.
- Now after doing research and analysis, collect all the documents that are required to get you in. Here are some general documents that you may need:
- Academic transcription or proof of your previous academic
- A certificate that you received from the previous institution
- Photocopy of IELTS/UKCAT/BMAT scores
- Copy of a valid passport
- Certificate of English proficiency test – IELTS/TOEFL/C1 Advanced
- A personal statement that illustrates why you’re coming to the UK.
- Reference letter(s)
- CV (if required)
- Bachelor’s Degree (If your course needs it)
- Copy of your previous visa (if you have one)
- Proof of financial ability
- Statement of Purpose
- Now, sign up and register on the UCAS website to fill and submit your application form. Remember that all the applicants are expected to apply through the UCAS portal. A single form can help you apply to five universities at once. The amazing aspect of the UK admission process this flexibility of applying to five distinctive courses in up to five universities.
- If you are done with the above steps, it’s time to relax because like every good thing, evaluation of your profile will take some time.
Must Read: IELTS for UK VISA and Immigration
Scholarships for MBBS in the UK
To ease your monetary stress, you can apply for one of the scholarships for MBBS in the UK. All the scholarships for MBBS in the UK are given based on merit, academic record, and other skills. The following are scholarships offered by various universities that provide fee waivers or funds.
|Chevening Scholarship||£18,000 (INR 17,02,440)|
|Global Health Future Leaders Scholarship||£2,500 (INR 2,36,450)|
|Hulk York Medical School International Scholarship||£8,737 (INR 8,26,280)|
|Imperial College Faculty of Medicine Scholarship||£1,000 (INR 94,551)|
|Rhodes Scholarship||£15,141 (INR 14,31,600)|
Explore more Scholarships to Study in UK for Indian Students!
MBBS Doctor Salary in the UK
Being a highly sought-after degree which opens an opportunity for various specializations, the salary of an MBBS doctor in the UK is worth the hustle. The average salary of MBBS Doctors/Physicians in the United Kingdom is 276,000 GBP (INR 2,63,42,290). However, depending on the specialization and position the salary slightly varies.
Subjects Covered in MBBS in UK
MBBS covers a wide range of subjects that are essential for students to build expertise in. The following are the subjects in which students acquire their detailed academic training and practice:
|Pre-Clinical (2 semesters)||– Anatomy|
|Para-Clinical (3 semesters)||– Forensic Medicine & Toxicology|
|Clinical (4 semesters)||– Anesthesiology|
– Community Medicine
– Dermatology and Venereology
– Obstetrics & Gynaecology
UK Student VISA
To apply for a British Visa, check the documents listed below for a hassle-free procedure:
- Proof of financial ability
- A valid passport and recent photographs.
- Details of your trip and where you are going to reside
- Report of your health checkup
- A valid passport. (keep a page blank for the visa)
- Recheck the language of the documents, they must be in English. If they aren’t, then get a certified translator who can translate them into English.
After collecting all the documents, Follow the steps below to apply for a UK student’s Visa.
- Among the two types of visas, Tier 4 is the applicable one for a student’s Visa.
- Get the letter of acceptance from the university you have been accepted to.
- Go online, sign up, and submit your application form. We recommend you to check the online appointment calendar to book an appointment. After submission, you will get an email with an application number.
- After receiving the email, Pay the fees, and collect the receipt.
- Now as per the scheduled appointment, visit the visa application center at the right time and submit the necessary biometrics, photograph, application, and other documents. After 6 weeks, your visa will arrive.
Note: If you want a smooth procedure for your student visa application, it is recommended that you apply 3 months before the beginning of your course.
Now, if you have made your mind to study medicine in the UK and to conduct a successful operation of your career, feel free to contact Leverage Edu. We are ready with all the apparatus that it takes to build an awesome career.