Nursing is a noble and rewarding profession that offers a variety of amazing careers in the healthcare industry. If you are an international student who wants to study nursing in the UK, you might be wondering about the requirements, cost, and scope of this field. In this blog, we will provide you with some useful information about the 2-year nursing degree in UK, which is a fast-track option for those who already have a bachelor’s degree in another subject. We will also discuss the benefits and challenges of studying nursing in the UK, and give you some tips on how to apply and succeed in this program.
|Level||MSc/ PG Diploma|
|Tuition Fees||GBP 18,000 (approx)|
|English Language Test Requirements||IELTS: 7.0 (overall with minimum 7.0 in each component)
TOEFL: 100 (overall with a minimum of 25 in each component)
PTE: 67 (overall with a minimum of 67 in each component)
|Scope||Paediatric nurse, Psychiatric nurse, Cardiac nurse, Research nurse, Nursing associate|
Also Read: Pre-Masters Courses in UK
This Blog Includes:
2-Year Nursing Degree in UK: Overview
The 2 year Nursing degree in UK is an accelerated program for those who already have a bachelor’s degree in another subject and want to become a registered nurse. It allows students to gain a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Nursing in half the time of a traditional 3-year program.
With this option, they can either pursue an MSc in Nursing or register as an adult nurse or a mental health nurse after completing the PG Diploma course in the field. To pursue this degree, students need to fulfil some entry requirements. We’ll get to them later in this blog. First, let’s understand how a 2-year nursing course in the UK is beneficial for you.
Why Study Nursing in UK?
There are many benefits of pursuing a 2-year nursing degree in the UK for international students. Some of them are:
- You can fast-track your career as a professional nurse in as little as 2 years, compared to the traditional 4-year degree programs.
- You can gain valuable clinical skills and experience in various healthcare settings in the UK, which are recognized and respected worldwide.
- You can enjoy the high-quality education and teaching methods of the UK nursing schools, which are ranked among the best in the world.
- You can explore the diverse and rich culture and history of the UK, while also improving your English language skills.
- You can access various scholarships and financial aid opportunities to help you fund your studies.
2-Year Nursing Degree in UK: Colleges & Fees
Generally, the tuition fees for a 2-year Nursing degree in UK cost around GBP 18,000. But this cost can vary depending on the university offering it. So here’s a list of top universities in the UK providing this accelerated Nursing degree along with the course name, duration and tuition fees:
|University||Course Offered||Tuition Fees|
|University of Salford||BSc Accelerated Nursing (Adult)||GBP 16,380|
|University of Derby||MSc in Nursing and Healthcare Practice||GBP 14,900|
|University of Edinburgh||Nursing with Pre-Registration (Adult)||Available on request|
|University of Manchester||MSc in Adult Nursing||GBP 24,500|
|City University||Foundation Degree in Healthcare (Nursing Associate)||GBP 16,390|
|Kingston University||MSc in Adult Nursing||GBP 16,200|
|Sheffield Hallam University||MSc in Adult Nursing||GBP 9,250|
|University of Bedfordshire||MSc in Adult Nursing||GBP 29,950|
|Manchester Metropolitan University||MSc Pre-Registration in Adult Nursing||GBP 19,000/year|
|Bournemouth University||MSc in Adult Nursing||GBP 16,500|
Also Read: Best Universities in the UK for Nursing
The entry requirements for the 2-year nursing degree in UK for international students vary depending on the university and the course. But given below are some general ones required by each institute:
- A bachelor’s degree in any subject from a recognised institution, with a minimum grade point average (GPA) or equivalent.
- Proof of English language proficiency, such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE, with minimum scores as specified by the university.
- A health screening, a criminal record check, and an interview to assess the suitability for the nursing profession.
- A personal statement and references that demonstrate the motivation, skills, and experience for nursing.
- Relevant work experience in a healthcare setting.
How to Apply?
The application process for a 2-year nursing degree in UK will vary depending on the university and the course. But here are some general steps involved while applying for the degree:
- Apply online through UCAS or directly to the university, depending on the course. You can choose up to 5 different courses at UCAS.
- You should fulfil the academic and English language requirements of the chosen university and course.
- After fulfilling all the requirements, you must pass a health screening, a criminal record check, and an interview to assess your suitability for the nursing profession.
- Completing a Computer-Based Test (CBT), a multiple-choice exam that you can take in your home country.
- You must complete your UK registration application within 2 years of passing your CBT. If you are unable to do this, you will need to take your CBT again and start a new application.
- Complete an Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE), a practical exam that tests your clinical skills and knowledge. You will need to travel to the UK to take this exam at an approved test centre.
Must Read: How to Find Nursing Jobs in UK?
The career scope after completing a 2-year nursing degree in the UK is quite promising. There is a high demand for qualified and skilled nurses in the healthcare sector. Professionals in this field have reported an employability rate of 94% after 6 months of graduation.
Given below are some of the most common job positions that may become available after graduating in nursing from a UK university are listed below:
|Job profile||Average annual salary|
|Paediatric nurse||GBP 31,702|
|Psychiatric nurse||GBP 33,708|
|Cardiac nurse||GBP 32,231|
|Research nurse||GBP 34,437|
|Nursing associate||GBP 19,402 – 48,725|
Ans. A 2-year nursing degree in the UK is a fast-track program that allows international students who have completed a relevant diploma or degree in nursing or health sciences to obtain a Bachelor of Nursing with an Honours degree in 2 years instead of four.
Ans. Yes, nursing can be done in 2 years if you have already completed a relevant diploma or degree in nursing or health sciences (or any other discipline) and enrolled in a 2-year nursing degree program in the UK.
Ans. Usually, a nursing degree in the UK takes 3-4 years to complete for students who start from scratch.
We hope that this blog helped you discover all the information regarding the 2-year Nursing Degree in UK. To explore more universities and courses to study abroad, stay tuned to Leverage Edu. Thank you for reading!