University of Cambridge is ranked amongst the top 5 universities in the world for popular courses like Management, Engineering and Medicine. The University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine is ranked #3 amongst the best medical schools in the world by QS World Ranking . As one of the most competitive medical schools, the university has an acceptance rate of only 21% and receives 5 applicants per seat! Studying medicine at the Cambridge school is focused on providing quality education with hands-on training required to become an expert in the field of medicine. Let’s explore everything you need to know about the University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study at Cambridge University?
- Medical School at University of Cambridge
- Courses Offered by the School of Clinical Medicine
- Eligibility Criteria for Cambridge Medical School
- Application Process for Cambridge Medical School
- Scholarships for Cambridge Medical School
- Cost of Studying at University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine
Why Study at Cambridge University?
Did you know the University of Cambridge’s library has more than 7 million books? The university is entitled to claim a copy of every book published in the UK.
- More than half of the graduates from Cambridge University are international students. The administration offers a very welcoming and warm environment for students from all nationalities.
- The greatest minds that are guaranteed to be known personalities in their respective field start their journey here. The scope of networking here can take you places.
- Cambridge University is not only an exemplary education institution but also a believer in entirely grooming students through their committees and co-curricular.
Medical School at University of Cambridge
The medical school at the University of Cambridge was set up in the 1540s by Henry VIII. Although the school saw centuries of commas that could lead to downfall, it was after 1948 that the education aspect of the medical school at the University of Cambridge started to improve. Early architects of this medical school would tell you the aeons of a difference they see in the curriculum presently and the one set in the past. Leading university in the Russell Group, here are the aims they dedicate to follow for the best medical education:-
- Educate students who go on to become exceptional doctors, biomedical scientists combining depth of research and an advanced outlook.
- To uphold the diversity of students, academic staff, non-academic staff, patients and volunteers respecting their privacy and opinions.
- Conduct a rigorous mechanism-based approach to clinical problems.
- To instil in the graduates a pursuit of excellence so that they become innovators that solve societal health challenges.
Also Read: 10 Hidden Gems to Study Medicine Abroad
Courses Offered by the School of Clinical Medicine
- Cancer Research
- Cardio-Respiratory Medicine
- Cellular mechanisms of disease
- Diabetes, Endocrinology, Metabolism Epidemiology, Public Health and Primary Care Genetics and Genetic Medicine Haematological and Transplantation Medicine
- Infection and Immunity
- Neurosciences and Mental Health
- Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine
If you want to pursue an undergraduate medicine program, Cambridge University offers you a standard course in Medicine for 3 years. This course is designed around lectures, practical classes and supervisions with strong foundation education.
After these 3 years of foundation, you can then choose to study the Graduate Course in Medicine which lasts another 4 years. In this course, you develop your clinical skills through direct patient contact in hospitals and community environments. You get to choose your specialisation also in this course and can pursue additional degrees and exchange programs while pursuing this degree.
In short, the medical school at the University of Cambridge offers two medical courses and it takes a maximum of 7 years to become a full-fledged doctor.
Also Read: Cheapest Medical Colleges in India
Eligibility Criteria for Cambridge Medical School
- Highest grade in Class 12th (Cambridge expects all applicants to perform highly in their Class 12th)
- Additional academic qualifications like IIT-JEE, STEP, College Board Advanced Placement Tests
- IELTS– 7.5 or TOEFL– 110
- Statement of Purpose
- Minimum 1 letter of recommendation
Your application for the University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine has to be really strong highlighting at various levels why you want to study medicine and what are your plans. More than grades, it is the potential of a candidate that gets him/her accepted at Cambridge.
Application Process for Cambridge Medical School
- Register yourself on the UCAS portal.
- Apply to the University of Cambridge through that portal.
- Once you submit your application, you will be sent a Supplementary Application Questionnaire via mail by Cambridge.
- An average of 75% of the applicants reaches the interview round which is conducted virtually.
- You will be asked to take an assessment test about medicine either before or after the interview.
- If you are accepted, a letter of acceptance will be mailed to you.
- You can then apply for the UK Tier 4 visa for students.
- Even if 75% of the applicants reach the interview round, only 23% get accepted. This means that you have to crack the interview and impress the admission committee. You can practise your interview with these sample questions and answers.
Scholarships for Cambridge Medical School
We know how expensive the tuition fee for medical school is, especially at one of the best universities in the world. Here’s a list of study abroad scholarships for Indian students pursuing medicine at University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine:
- Cambridge International Scholarship
- Cambridge Masters Studentship
- Cambridge Trust Scholarship
- Chevening Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarship
- Inlaks Cambridge Scholarship
Cost of Studying at University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine
The cost of studying medicine at the medical school at Cambridge includes two types of costs: tuition and living cost
|Type of Expense||Average Cost|
|Tuition fee||₹59.88 lakhs per year|
|Type of Expense||Average Cost|
|Accommodation||₹51,595-₹82,550 per month|
|Food||₹30,975 per month|
|Travel||₹5,090 per month|
|Entertainment||₹10,310 per month|
|Utilities||₹15,470 per month|
To know your personalised cost of living while studying at the University of Cambridge, use our cost of living calculator for absolutely free!
On the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, the School of Clinical Medicine offers several clinical academic training pathways.
Cambridge Medical School has a strict admissions process because of its standing as a research university both in the UK and internationally. Each open spot receives an average of 6 applicants, the majority of whom have stellar academic records.
The medical courses are both professionally and academically rigorous. You will receive a demanding, research-based medical education as a medical student at the university, which is a hub for scientific inquiry. Throughout the course, there are opportunities for students to conduct research and complete projects.
Are you planning to pursue your dream course from University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine? Our Leverage Edu experts will help you turn your dream into reality. Call 1800-572-000 and book your free counselling session today!