Dual Degrees are two different degrees that a student can pursue at partner universities. It can be a double bachelor’s, double master’s, or a bachelor’s and a master’s degree. Several universities in the UK collaborate with European, Canadian, American, and even Chinese universities to offer dual degrees to students who wish to explore a unique career goal. Students can study a dual degree in the UK simultaneously in a different university and country of their choice at an average fee of INR 6,00,000 – INR 27,00,000.
All About Joint Honours Degrees in the UK
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Dual Degree?
- Why Should You Consider a Dual Degree?
- Benefits of Studying Dual Degrees in UK
- How is a Dual Degree Different From Double Major?
- Types of Dual Degree Programmes Available in UK
- Top Universities offering Dual Degree in UK
- Average Cost of a Dual Degree in UK
- Meet Leverage Edu Rockstars
What is a Dual Degree?
A dual degree, often known as a double degree, is obtained when you study two fields at the same time, generally quite different ones (one per discipline). If you studied psychology and business in a dual degree programme, for example, you’d receive two degrees (or diplomas): a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology and a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA).
A BA/BS combination, a BS/BFA, a BS/BBA, and so on are examples of dual degrees that grant two different sorts of degrees. (Some dual degree programmes may provide you with an undergraduate bachelor’s degree as well as a graduate degree; we’ll go over them in more detail later.)
Also Read: January Intake Universities in UK
Why Should You Consider a Dual Degree?
Let’s take a look at what else you’ll learn and experience if you pursue a dual degree:
- Boost your Chances of Securing a Job: A dual degree adds value to your CV, you’ll receive a head start and a competitive advantage over others. A dual degree assists in the development of your multidisciplinary field of knowledge as well as the enhancement of your well-rounded skill set, which can be used in a wide range of businesses and sectors. A dual degree might help you stand out in a work market that is continuously changing and becoming increasingly difficult, particularly for graduates.
- Ability to Network & Build Connections: Your contacts will double, and your networking abilities will grow if you study at two institutions in two countries. Meeting new coursemates, instructors, and lecturers from all around the world may be beneficial not just during your studies, but also after you graduate.
- Learn New Skills: Despite some popular beliefs, taking a dual degree does not double the effort. It does, however, need more time and concentration depending on what you choose to study. It does, however, reinforce a strong work ethic, as well as the capacity to adapt rapidly and deal with difficult tasks.
- Demonstrates your Devotion and Global Perspective: With a dual degree, you’ll be an appealing hire for potential companies, and not simply because of your vast multidisciplinary academic experience. It will also highlight your capacity to immerse yourself in a new culture, your dedication to your academics, and your ability to adapt to different situations.
Also Read: Know the difference between January Intake and September Intake in UK
Benefits of Studying Dual Degrees in UK
There are various reasons why students should pursue a Dual Degree in the UK. Below, we list down some of the reasons:
Quality of Education
The United Kingdom has a long history of offering high-quality education. Regulators audit and review universities and educational institutions regularly to ensure that all set benchmarks are met. Professional bodies may also review individual departments within an institute to help influence the curriculum. This makes pursuing a Dual Degree in UK a preferable option.
Students from all over the world, not only Indians, prefer to study in the UK since three of the world’s top ten universities are located here. Therefore, a degree from a UK university will be recognized all around the world. The employability quotient is also very high, especially if you have a degree from a well-known UK university.
Studying in the United Kingdom offers a diverse range of courses to pick from. In Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and England, different dual-degree combinations are provided by colleges and universities. Students can also request a prospectus directly from the institutes. The education system in the United Kingdom is highly interactive, with lecturers and students freely communicating with one another, allowing students to combine multiple courses into a single study program.
Health Care for Students
When you are enrolled in a full-time study course in the UK, the National Health Service (NHS) provides free medical treatment to Indian students. If you live with your husband, partner, or dependents during your study program, you may also be excluded from certain costs.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Almost any overseas student concerned about high tuition prices can apply for scholarships, particularly at the postgraduate and research levels.
Must Read: Affordable universities 1.5 hours away from London
How is a Dual Degree Different From Double Major?
Since now you are familiar with what dual degree programs are, let us examine how they are different from the double majors. Mentioned below are the key differences between each of them so that you can weigh the suitability and convenience of both of these programs for yourself.
- If you’re pursuing a double major, you’ll obtain only one degree but you will specialize in two concerns of the same degree. For example in Management, you can specialize both in Finance and Hospitality. On the other hand, in dual degree programs, you’ll have the opportunity to obtain two degrees in different fields of study. For instance, two undergraduate degrees, one in Management and the other in Sociology.
- In a double major students have to go through only less extra coursework or sometimes not at all because they are pursuing a single degree. Whereas, in dual degree not only do you go through enormous course work but you have to keep up with the syllabus and schedule of both degrees at the same time. Dual degree programs enable you to simultaneously learn about two very different disciplines.
- You can study a double major within the same school of the university without having to shuttle between the departments each time. This is not the case with a dual program where you have to continuously flit from one department to another and sometimes even a university also.
- A dual degree can be completed within a set time frame. But a double major sometimes takes more time to be completed because of the intensive coursework involved in the program. Moreover, more clarity can be seen regarding the duration, once you opt for a particular program.
Also Read: Fun facts about living in London as a Student
Types of Dual Degree Programmes Available in UK
Students must consider which combination of majors and degree types will benefit them while pursuing a dual degree programme. Students should think about their future objectives and the career route they want to take when selecting which degree is best for them. Is a master’s degree necessary in your profession, or can you fulfill your career objectives with a bachelor’s degree?
There are three combined degree programmes that both undergraduate and graduate students can participate in. Earning two bachelor’s degrees, a bachelor’s and a master’s degree, or two graduate degrees are all examples of dual degrees.
Take a look at these options, which include dual graduate degrees:
Two Bachelor’s Degrees
Two bachelor’s degrees are one of the most typical dual degrees earned. While many universities offer this dual degree programme, prospective students should check to see if their school of choice offers it. Dual degree programmes provide a variety of bachelor’s degree combinations, including Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Arts, to mention a few.
A Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree
A bachelor’s and master’s degree is another popular dual degree option. A combined bachelor’s and MBA degree usually takes five to six years to accomplish. Depending on the university, the dual degree structure may differ. In most cases, students attend undergraduate classes while working on their graduate degrees. Completing both degrees at the same time saves time and money compared to doing them separately.
Two Master’s or Professional Degrees
Is it possible to earn two master’s degrees at the same time? Graduate students are increasingly interested in dual master’s degrees. The third most frequent dual-degree option is to get two master’s degrees or a master’s degree plus another professional degree. If you take full-time classes, you can get a dual graduate or professional degree in three to four years.
The sorts of dual degree graduate programmes available are typically determined by the university, although others enable students to select whichever disciplines they want to obtain their dual degree in. A graduate student can choose from a variety of programme combinations, such as a combined Master of Science and Master of Business Administration degree.
The MBA/MPH degree is another example. Top MBA/MPH dual degree programmes provide students with both a Master of Business Administration and a Master of Public Health degree.
Must Read: IELTS 6 Band Universities in UK for Masters
Top Universities offering Dual Degree in UK
Below, we have mentioned a list of a few of the finest universities offering dual degrees in the United Kingdom:
|University/College||Partnered with||Course Offered|
|The London School of Economics and Political Science||Bocconi University, Milan
Sciences Po, Paris
Fudan University, Shanghai
|Double Masters’ Degree in European and International Public Policy & Politics
Double Masters’ Degree in European Studies
Double Masters’ Degree in the Global Political Economy of China and Europe
|Queen Mary University of London||Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT)
Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU)
Northwestern Polytechnical University
|BSc(Eng) Telecommunications Engineering with Management
BSc(Eng) e-Commerce Engineering with Law
BSc(Eng) Internet of Things Engineering
BSc Biomedical Sciences
|University of East Anglia||Ritsumeikan University, Japan||MA International Relations|
|University of Nottingham||The University of Konstanz, Germany
The University of Tübingen, Germany
|University of Kentucky||(Self)||MPH: Masters of Public Health (PharmD + MPH dual degree)
MBA: Master of Business Administration (PharmD + MBA dual degree)
MSPS: Masters of Pharmaceutical Sciences (PharmD + MSPS dual degree)MPA: Masters of Public Administration (PharmD + MPA dual degree)
|University of Portsmouth||Edith Cowan University||BSc (Hons) Counter Terrorism, Intelligence and Cybercrime
BSc (Hons) Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
BSc (Hons) Environmental Science and Management
|University College London||Science Po, France||Specializations:
History, law, politics and philosophy, and fluency in a European language
|University of Chichester, UK||Swiss School of Business and Management Geneva, Switzerland||MBA (in various specializations)|
|University of Hertfordshire, UK||International Business School Alliance||MSc/MBA 9 in various specializations)|
|Nottingham Trent University||ISCTE Business School in Lisbon, Portugal;KEDGE Business School in Marseille, FranceESC Clermont Graduate School of Management in Clermont-Ferrand, France;The University of Brescia in Brescia Italy; andNational Sun Yat-sen University in Kaohsiung, Taiwan||MSc International Business|
Must Read: Universities in London for Marketing
Average Cost of a Dual Degree in UK
Apart from the primary tuition fees, the cost of studying in the UK includes accommodation, visa, daily expenses, transport, etc. The costs associated with pursuing a dual degree in the United Kingdom would be between £6000 to £30000 per year (6,00,000 INR-27,00,000 INR). The costs may vary depending on the university and the course you have chosen.
Must Read: Best Engineering Universities in UK
Meet Leverage Edu Rockstars
Want to study for a dual degree in the UK? Then call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 and get an early start on your application process for the upcoming intakes!
I want to go for dual master degrees, can you help me with finding the right institutions for this
I want to go for dual master degrees, can you help me with finding the right institutions for this
you first need to choose a country from where you will be completing your higher education. Consider contacting us on 1800 57 2000 and we will help you choose the perfect university.