Psychologists provide people with counselling and treatment. They help promote systemic or social progress, perform psychological study on individuals or organisations and administer psychological evaluations. A career in psychology is very lucrative, especially in foreign countries where there is no dearth of good courses available. In this blog, we will cover all details about diploma in psychology in Canada.
Also Read: Diploma in Psychology
This Blog Includes:
Tabulated below are the course highlights of diploma in Psychology in Canada.
|Level of Course||Certification/ Diploma|
|Duration of Course||3 Years|
|Eligibility||Communication, numeracy, science, ethics, persistence and problem-solving skills are the requisite skills required to select psychology courses after the 12th in India. 12th or similar is the key qualifying requirement to complete a degree programme in Psychology. As a minimum graduation requirement, diploma courses require only 10th grade.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based/Minimum required GMAT or GRE score as required by the programme/A successful IELTS, TOEFL or some other English language proficiency test score/In the specified format, SOP and LOR if asked for.|
|Job Positions||Clinical Psychologist, Counselling Psychologist, Educational Psychologist, Health Psychologist High-Intensity Therapist, Forensic Psychologist, Occupational Psychologist|
Explore: Diploma Courses after Graduation
Before you decide to pursue a diploma in psychology in Canada, it is important to understand what a psychologist does and what process does he/she follow. For your reference we mentioned them below.
- A typical day for a counsellor may involve gathering data (through polls, interviews, etc.), performing brain activity and behaviour tests on clients, investigating, recognising client behavioural and emotional habits, diagnosing conditions, setting recovery schedules, providing referrals, and writing.
- In order to share the results of their findings, psychologists who concentrate on research can find themselves writing articles and research papers. A primary purpose of psychologists who base their careers on study is to teach people.
- Via psychoanalysis or psychotherapy, psychologists can test patient behaviour. Personality, performance, aptitude or ability testing may be appropriate for them, and it is up to them to decide whether such tests are needed.
- Many psychiatrists work independently, which can require independent study or treating patients personally. Others seek to manage sickness and encourage general well-being as members of a healthcare team, partnering alongside doctors, social workers, and others.
- Most private practising psychiatric and counselling psychologists have their own offices and may set their own schedules. Clinics, hospitals, detox centres, and cultural and mental health centres are other traditional workplaces. In colleges and universities, government departments, or private research groups, most research psychologists operate.
- In public schools, most psychologists operate, varying in degree from nursery school to education. They also work with private schools, institutions, hospitals and clinics, recovery centres for the community, and independent practise.
Why Study Psychology Courses in Canada?
You should consider a course’s utility and long-term benefits before enrolling in it. Here are some benefits of taking psychology classes in Canada:
- Canada is renowned for having top-notch universities. In the 2021 rankings of Maclean’s finest psychology programmes, 20 Canadian universities received rankings.
- Students can perform their research in well-equipped labs at Canadian universities. Some of these include the Centre for Clinical Research in Health (CCRH).
- The Centre for Research in Human Development (CRHD), and prominent organisations like NSERC, CFI, SSRHC, etc. support research at numerous Canadian universities. Every year, the total grant is approximately $2 million.
- Universities in Canada that specialise in psychology provide undergraduate and graduate degrees as well as honors/specializations in disciplines like cognitive science, clinical and health research, and behavioural science. There are numerous psychology diploma programmes offered by colleges in Canada.
- In Canada, you must at least pass your 10 + 2 course with at least a 60 percent grade to be eligible for a psychology diploma.
- You must complete a standardised test in order to demonstrate your English language competency as an international student. You must obtain the following minimum scores on these exams: IELTS 6.0–7.0, TOEFL 97–100, PTE 68, or CAEL 70.
- You can also be required to complete a Counseling Aptitude Assessment by some universities (CAA).
Canada’s universities of psychology have a list of requirements for admission. Below are some of the standard document requirements:
- Transcripts of all educational qualification
- CV or Resume
- LOR or Letter of Recommendation
- SOP or Statement of Purpose
- Scorecards of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE/CAEL
- Work experience certificate (if applicable)
The following is a step-by-step guide for applying to several psychology programmes at Canadian colleges:
- Decide on the course you want to take and search for the best university that offers it.
- Visit the university’s official website and gather all information on eligibility and the admissions procedure.
- Upload scanned copies of all the necessary paperwork, including your transcripts, resume, and CAEL and IELTS test results.
- Complete the appropriate application form and submit payment.
- Interview the corresponding university directors in-depth. This is a fantastic chance to show off your soft skills and mental clarity.
- After passing your interview and receiving the conditional offer letter, you may reserve your seat at the specific university.
- By accepting the university’s terms and conditions, you can pay your deposit. This deposit is not transferable.
Top Universities in India
For your reference, we have enlisted the top institutes in India which offer a diploma in psychology.
- CVM Institute of Human Resource Development
- Government College of Educational Psychology and Guidance
- Maharshi Dayanand University
- SGT University, Gurgaon
- Jyotiba Institute of Management and Technology
- Goa University
- Dev Samaj College of Education
- Government Bilasa Girls Post Graduate College
Must Read:Educational Psychology
Top Universities in Canada
Mentioned below are the top universities abroad to pursue diploma in psychology.
|Name of the University||THE Rankings 2022|
|University of Toronto||18|
|University of Alberta||125|
|University of Ottawa||162|
|University of Waterloo||201-250|
|Simon Fraser University||201-250|
Cost of Studying Diploma In Psychology In Canada
The cost of your diploma in psychology in Canada covers both pre-arrival charges such as immigration fees and test fees as well as post-arrival costs such as living expenses. To have a successful stay in the country for the duration of your study, you must effectively manage these costs. Therefore, we advise setting up at least INR 5,70,000 to INR 16,000,000.
|University Name||Course||Duration||Tuition Fees in INR|
|Seneca College||Graduate Certificate in Autism and Behavioral Science||NA||NA|
|Fanshawe College||Graduate Certificate in Autism and Behavioral Science||1 year||INR 9,61,610|
|Kelowna College of Professional Counseling||Diploma of Applied Psychology and Counseling||1 year||INR 9,22,707 (on-campus) or INR 5,63,336 (distance learning)|
|The University of Quebec||Certificate in Psychology, Graduate Diploma in Eco-Counseling||1 year||INR 15,03,000|
|York University||Graduate Diploma in Health Psychology||1 year||INR 7,88,000|
Scholarships for Diploma In Psychology In Canada
|Description||Eligibility||Amount in CAD|
|Renewable-Degree Scholarship||This scholarship is awarded by the Seneca College||Based on maintenance of grades 70 percent (3.0 GPA +), 75 percent (3.3 GPA +), or 80 percent (3.6 GPA +)||CAD 2000 (INR 1.2 Lakhs), CAD 3000 (INR 1.8 Lakhs) or 4000 (INR 2.4 Lakhs)|
|Scotiabank International Student Achievement Award||This scholarship is awarded by the Fanshawe College||Open to all overseas students, valid study permit, registered in semester 3 of any college program with at least 3.0 GPA, demonstrate leadership and college / community involvement, and based on online application||NA|
Do Read: Masters in Psychology in Canada
The job opportunities after pursuing a diploma in psychology in Canada. They are mentioned below for your reference.
- Between psychological occupations, there is considerable variety, and incomes and yearly earnings are just as varied. Many students have diverted their attention into some of the highest-paying psychology jobs in a stagnant economy. The highest paid career wages for psychologists range up to $167,000 (INR 1 Cr).
- While there are a range of occupations with an annual wage greater than average, it is important to note that real pay depends on a variety of variables, including geographic location, job market, educational history, and years of experience.
- The salary of a psychologist varies upon various factors such as education, experience, area of specialisation, working area, etc.
- The average salary of a psychologist in India is between Rs. 2.5 to 3.5 lakhs per year. You can earn more after you get rooted in this region or specialise in either of its divisions.
- In the United States, an annual income of over INR 51,55,000 is made by a psychologist.
The length of a psychology diploma typically ranges from one to two years, depending on the university and subject of study. You might learn the fundamentals of any area and go deeper into what it includes by studying for a diploma.
Did you know that one of the most sought-after professions in Canada is psychology? All 11 of Canada’s provinces and territories have a high demand for psychologists, and as a highly qualified worker, you may anticipate earning between $71200 and $110400 year.
Diploma in Psychology Courses, Diploma in Clinical Psychology, Diploma in Cognitive sciences, Diploma in Child Psychology, Diploma in Cognitive Neuroscience, Diploma in Counseling, Diploma in Applied Psychology, Diploma in Behavior Support, Diploma in Criminal Psychology, etc. are some of the popular diploma courses.
We hope this blog has answered all your queries related to pursuing a diploma in psychology in Canada and dispelled any uncertainties that you had. Wanting to join a world-class university for a diploma in psychology? Our experts at Leverage Edu will evaluate your profile and support you through the entire application process. Register today for a free session and get ready to give wings to your dreams!