Operation theatre technology is a branch of health science which trains professionals who will assist medical professionals in the operation theatre of hospitals, intensive care units as well as emergency departments. It is a 1-2 year course, after which you can work as a lab technician, operation theatre technician, anaesthesia technician etc. Let’s explore some of the popular universities for diploma in operation theatre technology, syllabus, eligibility etc
|Duration||1- 2 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with at least 50%|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam/ Merit Based|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4 to 12 Lacs|
|Top Employment Areas||Hospitals, nursing homes, laboratories, clinics|
|Top Job Roles||Teacher & Lecturer,
This Blog Includes:
- What is Operation Theatre Technology?
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Syllabus
- Eligibility for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Application Process
- Cost of Studying for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology: Career Prospects and Salary
- Top Universities for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Abroad
- Top Colleges in India for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology: Top Recruiters
What is Operation Theatre Technology?
Operation Theatre Technology represents the professionals who are responsible for your laboratory tests. Handling equipment, brief diagnosis and conducting tests like X-Ray, MRIs, Sonography, CT Scans, etc all come under Operation Theatre Technology. Basically, performing all activities that require technologically advanced machinery in the medical field is known as Operation Theatre Technology.
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Syllabus
A Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology is a 2-year full-time paramedical course that trains students so that they can become technicians who help medical professionals (doctors, surgeons, etc) in an operation theatre, emergency room and ICU (Intensive Care Unit). Here is the list of subjects that are taught in the 2 years of a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology:-
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Physiology||Special Surgical Training|
|Pharmacology||Gynaecology and Obstetrics|
|Principles and Practices of Surgery||Paediatric Surgery|
|Sterilisation, Waste Disposal and Disinfection||Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery|
|Basics of Anaesthesia and CPR||Plastic Surgery|
|Computer and Data Processing||Neurosurgery|
|Ear, Nose and Throat|
Eligibility for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
Please note that the first eligibility requirement is common for all students wanting to study for a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology. The last two depend upon the medical colleges in India you apply to.
- Completed Grade 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as the main subjects
- Passing the entrance exam specifically for certain medical institutes
- Passing the personal interview round for certain medical institutes
Also Read: Diploma in Ayurvedic Pharmacy
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Application Process
Applying for a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology is easier than applying for an MBBS or MD. The academic qualifications required are less compared to the undergraduate and postgraduate medical degrees. If you want to apply for this course, you can follow this simple and easy-to-understand guide:
- Choose the university or medical institute in India or abroad that you wish to apply to.
- Check whether they have any specific requirements like an entrance exam.
- Prepare for the entrance exam and give it before the given application deadline.
- Attach all academic and personal documents required for admission and submit your application.
- Applications are chosen on the basis of merit if there is no entrance exam.
- After 10 business days or more, you may hear from the admission committee about your acceptance.
- If accepted, the medical institute will ask you to pay the tuition fee entirely or in instalments.
Cost of Studying for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
The average tuition fee is around INR 50,000- INR 10 lakhs per year. The tuition fee depends upon how high is the university ranked- in India and in abroad. Apart from the tuition fee, the cost of living depends upon whether you are pursuing your Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology from India or abroad. To know your closest cost of living estimate, use cost of living calculator.
Also Read: PG Diploma vs Masters in Canada
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology: Career Prospects and Salary
Once you graduate with a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology, the career prospects for you lie more within the operation theatre than outside. You can either wear your gloves and assist the doctors or be a teacher and impart your medical knowledge to students.
- OT Technician
- Lab Technician
- Anaesthesia Consultant
- Assistant OTT Technician
- Assistant Lab Technician
You can work in government hospitals, private hospitals, medical laboratories, pathology labs and medical equipment manufacturing. The average starting salary of a student will be INR 5-10 lakhs per year.
Top Universities for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology Abroad
Wondering how you can be a part of top-ranked universities offering diploma in operation technology? Attend the Uniconnect Virtual Fair by Leverage Edu and get a chance to directly apply to your dream university with us. Register Now!
- University of Reading, UK
- Texas State University, USA
- Boston University, USA
- Mayfield Education, Australia
Top Colleges in India for Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
Want to pursue a Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology from India? These are the top universities that you’d want to study:-
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik
- East Point Group of Institutions, Bangalore
- Jamia Hamdard, Delhi
- Parul University, Vadodra
- Om Sai Paramedical College, Ambala
- IIMT University, Meerutt
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune
- Tech Mahindra Smart Academy for Healthcare, Mohali
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology: Top Recruiters
- Manipal Hospital
- Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Limited
- Fortis Healthcare
- AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences), New Delhi
- Max Hospital
- Metro Group of Hospitals
- Wockhardt Hospitals Limited
It is 1-2 years course.
In India, the average salary of an OT Technician is INR 07-15 lakhs per year.
You can be an OT Technician, Lab Technician, Anaesthesia Consultant, Assistant OTT Technician, Assistant Lab Technician or a Teacher/Lecturer.
No, you require education till 12th class for this course.
Medical Lab Technician is easier to study than Operation Theatre Technology as it involves only one kind of technology to be studied.
The average tuition fee is INR 50,000- INR 10 lakhs per year.
Are you planning to pursue Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology abroad? Call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800-572-000 for end-to-end assistance from application to Visa process. Book your FREE 30-minute counselling session now today!