With Science making huge strides in all aspects of life, the number of opportunities it offers to students has risen exponentially. And not just the influx of opportunities, the diversity of available options even at the initial stages of educational specialization is also bewildering. To make the right choice among all these courses, students must evaluate each one of them carefully. Career in Microbiology is one such popular option for Science aspirants. A postgraduate course in this field is full of lucrative opportunities. Let us help you discover the aspects of MSc Microbiology!
This Blog Includes:
- What is MSc Microbiology?
- Microbiology: Highlights
- MSc Microbiology Subjects
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admission Process
- Admission Tips for MSc Microbiology
- M.Sc Microbiology Syllabus
- M.Sc Microbiology Entrance Exams
- MSc Microbiology: Top Universities
- Top MSc Microbiology Colleges – India
- Career Scope
- Difference: MSc Microbiology vs MSc Biotechnology
What is MSc Microbiology?
MSc Microbiology is a 2-year degree course offered at the postgraduate level to science students. The advanced course in microbiology helps students comprehend microorganisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, and algae at a higher level. This is a specialised course, comprising various research and project tasks to equip the students with professional knowledge of the subjects. An individual with a bachelor’s degree in Microbiology or any equivalent course can apply for this particular course. To apply for foreign universities, students must additionally appear for Internationally recognized examinations like GRE as well as language proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS. Although, every university has its own requirements which must get in touch with Leverage Edu experts.
|Course||Masters of Science in Microbiology|
|Minimum Qualifications||Bachelors in relevant disciplines|
|Tuition fee||India-(50,000 to 2.4 lakhs) Abroad-(15 Lakhs- 20 lakhs) per year|
|Job and Scope||Microbiologist, Research Analyst, Research Assistant, etc.
Scope: M.Phil. in Microbiology and Ph.D. in Microbiology
|Average Salary||India- (5 lakh to 6 lakhs) Abroad- (USD 60,000)|
|Top Recruiters||Serum Institute of India, Mascot International, Ranbaxy, Cipla, etc.|
Before you move towards the MSc Microbiology Subjects,
read our blog on Scope of Microbiology!
MSc Microbiology Subjects
MSc Microbiology offers a wide range of subjects related to living organisms in its two-year duration. At postgraduate level, the subjects are highly specialised and focussed exclusively towards the various aspects of Microbiology. It offers a mix of core subjects that every student must be acquainted with, as well as subjects which connect the academic knowledge to practical aspects such as Agricultural Microbiology, Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Clinical Microbiology and others. Here are a few important subjects offered under this course, both in India and Internationally:
|Bioinstrumentation||Molecular Immunology||Enzyme Technology|
|Food and Dairy Microbiology||Clinical Microbiology||Virology|
|Bioenergetics and Molecular Enzymology||Antimicrobial and Infection control||Bioprocess Engineering and Technology|
|Microbial Physiology||Biostatistics and Computer Applications||Bioinformatics and Microbial Genomics|
|Microbial Genetics||Bacteriology||Environmental Microbiology|
|R-DNA Technology||Pharmaceutical Microbiology||Mycology|
Have a look at the Genetic Engineering courses!
Students who wish to take up M.Sc Microbiology must meet the eligibility criteria. Below we have specified the eligibility criteria for M.Sc Microbiology.
- Must have cleared X and XII with a minimum percentage of 50% or more from a recognized board.
- Must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology from a recognised university with a minimum mark of 55% or more.
- For institutes that have an entrance exam, students must clear the entrance exam to be considered eligible for admission.
To secure admission to M.Sc Microbiology courses offered by various Institutes, students must follow the below mentioned steps :
- Firstly, students must make sure they check the eligibility criteria for different universities. Then apply for required exams
- Students must clear the entrance exam of a college/university to secure an admission in the course.
- Students who have made it to the shortlisted candidates list must go through the college wise admission process.
- Seat allotment is the last step of the admission process.
- Students are then required to deposit the fee for the course to complete the process.
Admission Tips for MSc Microbiology
The following criteria must be prioritised by the student in order to get accepted into reputable MSc Microbiology colleges-
- To get admitted to a reputable MSc Microbiology college, you must have a passing grade in your bachelor’s degree.
- Apply for the entrance examinations since passing the entrance exams is necessary for admission. Start your entrance test preparation as soon as you can to effectively cover the most of the subject.
- Keep in mind that the entry parts are often at the bachelor’s level. Below are some fundamental subjects for MSc Microbiology entrance exams.
|Enzyme Technology||DNA Technology|
- Start making notes and keep a separate notebook for each important subject. This will make it much easier to review all the material before to the exam.
- It is essential to thoroughly comprehend the test format, therefore solve as many question papers as you can. Before taking the exam, one should also complete at least 20 to 30 practise tests.
- Maintain current knowledge of events in your field since doing so can aid in passing admission examinations and interview stages.
Have a look at the list of Microbiology Courses!
M.Sc Microbiology Syllabus
This two years course is divided into 4 semesters. The semester wise syllabus of M.Sc microbiology has been mentioned in this section:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Biostatistics and Computer Applications||Recent Trends in Virology|
|Bioenergetics and Molecular Enzymology||Molecular Immunology|
|Food and Dairy Microbiology||Microbial Diversities and Extremophiles|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Enzyme Technology||Recombinant DNA Technology|
|Bioprocess Engineering and Technology||Fermentation Technology|
|Microbial Genetics||Bioinformatics, Microbial Genomics and Proteomics|
|Environmental Microbial Technology||Pharmaceutical Microbiology|
M.Sc Microbiology Entrance Exams
We have listed the top entrance exams conducted in India to offer admission to M.Sc Microbiology courses.
|BITSAT||BITS, Pilani||To be announced|
|DUET||Delhi University||To be announced|
|JNUEE||JNU||To be announced|
|BHU PET||Banaras Hindu University||To be announced|
MSc Microbiology: Top Universities
There are hundreds of top-tier universities abroad that offer specialisation and MSc Microbiology. Being a life science subject, Microbiology is better learnt in a professional and work intensive environment that foreign universities offer. Their course structure and research work is also top of the class. Additionally, it becomes easier and more convenient for students to pursue higher studies like PhD. Here are some of the top foreign universities to pursue Microbiology:
Find out how to make a career in Nanobiotechnology!
Top MSc Microbiology Colleges – India
Listed below are the top M.Sc Microbiology Colleges in India that offer admission to students on the basis of merit.
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
- Fergusson College, Pune
- St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- St.Joseph’s College, Mumbai
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Presidency University, Chennai
- Amity University, Noida
M.Sc Microbiology being a specialised course offers a host of paths to progress in career. Most of these job profiles require analytical, problem identifying and solving skills. Most of these are application-oriented jobs, requiring individuals to study or research on microscopic organisms. Here are some of the prominent career paths that a student can pursue after completing M.Sc Microbiology:
- Food Technologist
- Research Scientist
- Medical Technologies
- Quality Control Expert
- Microbiology Demonstrator
- PhD in Microbiology
- M.Phil in Microbiology
Difference: MSc Microbiology vs MSc Biotechnology
|Parameters||Msc in Microbiology||Msc in Biotechnology|
|Overview||a two-year course in biology and chemistry with a primary focus on comprehending biological systems and how they affect the environment||You may hone your abilities and understanding in areas like cell biology, immunology, and similar ones by taking an MSc in Biotechnology degree.|
|Course Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Eligibility||Bachelors in Microbiology or equivalent||B.Sc. in Biological Sciences, B.Pharm, BAMS, MBBS, BHMS, BPT,etc from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam||Entrance Exam|
|Course Fee||Up to INR 1 Lakh per annum||Up to INR 2 Lakhs per annum|
|Average Salary||Up to INR 7 Lakhs per annum||Up to INR 9 Lakhs per annum|
Microbiology is a competitive academic pursuit, with lots to learn and develop upon. While doing an MSc Microbiology, you can research on various subjects, making breakthroughs all around or you can help in developing life-saving drugs. Such courses when pursued with a passion to learn and grow can help students develop into a highly successful professional, garnering immense fame and respect. To explore many such interesting courses and subjects, connect with Leverage Edu.