The Master’s in Infectious Diseases (MSc) is a one-year programme specifically designed for students who have a background in basic science disciplines (e.g. microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, virology, biostatistics and epidemiology). The course offers advanced studies in the field of infectious diseases with an emphasis on disease ecology, disease risk assessment and novel diagnostic approaches. You will also study the surveillance of emerging infectious diseases and develop strategies to control pathogens that are considered threats to public health. This programme is ideal if you would like to gain expertise in the field of infectious diseases and would like to work as a disease control specialist or epidemiologist.
This Blog Includes:
What is Msc in Infectious Disease?
The MS in Infectious Disease (MSID) program is a course in Public Health, that prepares graduates to enter into a rewarding career in the field of infectious disease. Graduates are prepared to work as epidemiology specialists, epidemiologists, or public health professionals in state and local health departments, hospitals and clinics, pharmaceutical companies, medical centres, international organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO), and universities. The degree is designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of disease intelligence, identify epidemic patterns, investigate outbreaks and develop disease control strategies.
The program in infectious disease aims to:
- Develop advanced knowledge and skills in public health.
- Enhance the capacity to analyze and solve complex public health problems.
- Enable graduates to apply research skills and strategies to resolve public health problems.
- Encourage graduates to take responsibility for their own professional development.
The infectious diseases epidemiology concentration of this curriculum provides exposure to real-world scenarios that infectious diseases professionals face every day. The curriculum’s core courses emphasize key elements of studying infectious diseases including disease intelligence, identifying epidemic patterns, investigating outbreaks and developing disease control strategies.
- Throughout this coursework students have the opportunity to apply what they learn through their own research projects and an internship with a local or national public health agency.
- They also gain experience through their participation in a series of training workshops that are required during their time in the program. These hands-on experiences
- The MSc in Infectious Disease is a one-year course (120 ECTS credits) delivered by the Faculty of Medicine in various universities.
- You will receive a high level of training in epidemiology, biostatistics and microbiology, with an emphasis on disease intelligence, outbreak investigation and control strategies.
- In addition to this we will also provide you with an excellent foundation in both applied and theoretical microbiology.
- The course will also provide you with exposure to real world scenarios that infectious diseases professionals typically encounter.
- This full time course is delivered over two years (four semesters) for students who already have a basic science background in microbiology, cell biology and/or immunology.
- This part-time course (60 ECTS per semester) is open to all students irrespective of their field of study or degree but you should have an interest or background in science or medicine
- This is a unique opportunity to understand the global health challenges and discover new ways to combat diseases. You will learn about the epidemiological patterns of disease, develop disease control strategies and investigate outbreak situations.
- You will also be able to identify and manage infectious diseases; you will carry out laboratory diagnostics and epidemiological investigations.
- By the end of your degree, you will have developed a professional portfolio of work which demonstrates your skills in research, communication and leadership, as well as a network of contacts in the field of infectious diseases.
Also Read: Top Medical School Without MCAT
Subjects in MSc Infectious Diseases
Here are all the core modules included in the MSc Infectious Diseases program
- Introduction to Public Health Practice
- Applied Epidemiology
- Public Health Policy & Economics
- Infectious Disease Prevention & Control
- Infectious Disease Pathogenesis & Diagnostics
The eligibility criteria for getting admitted to an MSc Infectious Diseases course abroad requires the following qualification.
|12th||75% and above|
|IELTS||Marks – 6.5/9If you have an undergraduate degree from a country where English is not the main language of instruction, or if your first degree is from an institution that is not acceptable to the University, you may be required to take a test of English as a Foreign Language.|
|Graduation||Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree (minimum ‘B’ standing) in an appropriate area of study|
|Postgraduate Research||A master’s or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline from an institution acceptable to the University; or the appropriate bachelor’s degree and at least three years relevant professional experience; or A bachelor’s degree and at least five years professional experience in a related field.|
Although the cost of tuition fees may differ according to the chosen university, here is a detailed list of the average amount of tuition fee for the MSc Infectious Diseases course.
|Tuition & fees||INR 3,96,179|
|MSc||£16000 (INR 1624163)|
|Postgraduate Certificate||£12670 (INR 1286134)|
|Postgraduate Diploma||£16000 (INR 1624163)|
Top Colleges to Pursue Msc in Infectious disease
Here is a list of the top universities according to the QS World University Ranking for MSc in Infectious Diseases
- Harvard University
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Oxford
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- University of Washington
- Imperial College London
- University of California–San Francisco
- University College London
MSc in Infectious Diseases is a unique postgraduate degree, which provides professionals with a grounding in infectious diseases and epidemiology.
- Work with government agencies such as the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Center for Disease Control (CDC) or National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Work for pharmaceutical companies or laboratories to develop new drugs
- Work for the media as a science journalist or documentary producer
Also Read: Career in Alternative Medicine
The Master of Public Health is designed for professionals who want to further their careers by improving their understanding of public health. It is an intensive coursework program that will develop skills and knowledge in public health through core units and a wide range of elective units. If you are interested to know more, contact Leverage Edu at 1800 572 000 and get a free consultancy session.