For a student walking away from the known corridors of a school building and stepping onto the world outside, this incremental phase of the academic journey is a life-altering change for them. The change that is at once scary yet fascinating, exuding a new charm that no one is ever immune to. With real-world challenges and transformative decisions at every turn, it can be disconcerting and overwhelming at times. For any student freshly out of school, The University of Queensland warm-heartedly welcomes them and opens their arms wide to help them embrace the change. Ranking at the 46th position globally, it provides a research-based education, emphasizes mentorship and makes its students ready to work at a global level. The University of Queensland offers a large number of specializations and majors at the UG level. It is imperative to have an idea about the processes involved to get admission to a UG program at the university. In this blog, discover every nuance about UG studies at The University of Queensland from the vast number of programs it offers to the employability initiatives it has.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study at The University of Queensland?
- Study Areas and Majors
- Anjali Rangnekar from India
- Popular Programs
- Cost of Studying a UG program at The University of Queensland
- Accommodation Options at UQ
- Important Dates
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admission Process
- Documents Required
- UQ Student Stories
- Career Prospects and Initiatives
Why Study at The University of Queensland?
One of the top-rated universities by various independent ranking agencies of the world, The University of Queensland offers degrees that are valued globally and produce highly employable graduates Located in Brisbane, one of the top 25 liveable cities globally, the city is safe , fun and easy to fall in love with. The UQ offers once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that need to be seized. Additionally, it also offers a guaranteed accommodation program under which the students are assured a university-approved lodging even before landing in the city. With a vivacious lifestyle, world-class education and expert faculties, The University of Queensland is an ideal choice for a student just stepping into the world of higher education.
To know more read our exclusive blog on – Study at The University of Queensland!
Study Areas and Majors
The University of Queensland has become renowned throughout the world because of the quality of the education it provides, with the vision to nurture its graduates to become global leaders. The university offers a large number of subjects and encompasses a gigantic number of areas at the undergraduate level. Listed below are the 10 major areas that are taught at The University of Queensland:
- Agriculture and Environment
- Architecture, Planning and Design
- Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Business and Economics
- Engineering and Computing
- Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Science and Mathematics
Within these majors, The University of Queensland offers many programs and an even larger number of specializations. At the university, a student can pick from a list of 143 programs. Within these programs, the university offers 1859 fields of study which are specializations that a student can choose based on their skills and interest.
With a large number of programs available, it can be a perplexing decision for a student to choose a specialization. The specializations guide the students in the subject of their choice and should be chosen after a long process of introspection and deliberation. Listed below are some of the most popular UG programs at The University of Queensland that are frequently opted by students:
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Business Management
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Journalism
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Bachelor of Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Science
Cost of Studying a UG program at The University of Queensland
The cost of studying a UG program at the UQ includes tuition fees, non-tuition fees and living costs. The tuition fees for programs vary according to the field of study. However, on average, the tuition fees range between 32000$- 66000$ (entire program). The non-tuition fees which include the additional cost of study like application fees, student amenities and other costs can vary a lot but a student can expect to pay around 5000$. Tabulated below are the major factors of cost of living and an indicative value against each component of expenditure.
|Expenditure Type||Approximate Cost|
|Mobile and Internet||80$-120$|
Accommodation Options at UQ
Before applying for any program at The University of Queensland, you need to be aware of the important dates of application. It is recommended that you apply early to ensure that the university has enough time to assess your application and issue an offer letter. The important dates for application are mentioned below:
- If you are applying for admission to Semester 1(starts in February), you need to apply by 30th November of the previous year.
- If you are applying for a course beginning in Semester 2 (starts in July), the application deadline will be on the 31st of May in the same year.
- Additionally, there may be specific dates of application for some programs and thus applicants need to check the relevant page for the program before applying.
- The university may be willing to consider late applications in some cases, although there is no guarantee of that.
Here are the details of opening and closing dates of a semester along with the orientation week for UG programs at The University of Queensland:
|Closing Date for Semester 1 Applications||30th November|
|Orientation Week for Semester 1||15-19 February|
|Semester 1 Begins||22nd February|
|Semester 1 Ends||19th June|
|Closing Date for Semester 2 Applications||31st May|
|Orientation Week for Semester 2||19th-23rd July|
|Semester 2 Begins||26th July|
|Semester 2 Ends||20th November|
As an international student, the application process for their dream university abroad can be long and cumbersome. It begins with being aware of the program prerequisites. Enlisted below are some of the major eligibility criteria that are common across all majors at the UQ:
- For all the programs, The University of Queensland requires a candidate to have completed a Queensland Year 12 or a qualification at the same level.
- The candidate must achieve ‘minimum entry score’ which is the minimum percentage of marks required by the program to be considered for a place.
- Certain programs have subject-specific prerequisites that require the student to have a background in a subject relevant to the program they are applying for.
- It is necessary to submit an English proficiency test score. A minimum of 6.5 overall with a 6 band in each component of the IELTS test or an equivalent score at other globalised tests is accepted at the UQ.
- For certain programs, the University might decide to hold an interview, test or auditions to evaluate the student’s adeptness and skills in the field they are desirous of pursuing.
Note: The above-mentioned eligibility criteria are general and the specifics may vary across the wide-ranging programs offered at the University.
All international students need to submit their applications directly to The University of Queensland through their website or can opt to apply through an approved UQ agent. Below are the different steps to be followed in the admission process:
- The first step is to create an online application account on the official website of The University of Queensland. Alternatively, you can also request for a hard copy form, for which you will be charged a non-refundable amount.
- In the next step, you will have to fill up the admission form along with all required details for the course of your choice and upload all the required documents preferably in a PDF format.
- After completing your application, you need to submit it after cross-checking all the details.
- After successful submission, your application will be assessed by the university, and you may be contacted for updates or for providing additional information.
- If you are selected for admission, you will receive an offer letter from the university which you have to accept after going through it carefully. You also have to pay your tuition fee deposit and overseas student health cover after acceptance.
The documents all international students need to provide during application include:
- A certified copy of a complete academic transcript detailing all the programs you have studied and all degrees or diplomas awarded to you
- A copy of your national ID card or Passport
- A proof that you meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements for your chosen course
UQ Student Stories
The University of Queensland believes in the strength of knowledge and makes sure that no one misses a chance to amass knowledge, irrespective of their financial circumstances. To help international students pursue their UG programs at the undergraduate level, it offers a large number of scholarships and bursaries to help them finance their education. Tabulated below are some of the major scholarships offered to Indian students aspiring to study UG programs at The University of Queensland.
|Sr. No||Name of the Scholarship||Value||Description|
|1||High Achievers Scholarship for International Students||20% reduction in the tuition fees per annum||Awarded to high-achieving students to commence a relevant degree at UQ|
|2||Indian Global Leaders Scholarship||$5000-$2000||Aimed for students wishing to pursue a degree in Business, Economics or Law|
|3||UQ Economics India Scholarship||Covers 50% of the tuition fees||Granted to students applying for programs in Economics, Politics, Philosophy and Economics or Advanced Finance and Economics|
|4||Women in Science Scholarship for India||$10000||Awarded to women trying to make a significant discovery or make a substantial contribution to the field of science|
Career Prospects and Initiatives
The University of Queensland understands the importance of college years in building a strong network and getting practical exposure that can give the impetus needed to excel in the professional world. Therefore, the university takes a large number of initiatives to provide an edge to its graduates. It holds regular career fairs where students get the opportunity to interact with leading organizations of their field and develop an understanding of the world that lies ahead. Organisations can be local as well as international giving students the much-needed exposure. Additionally, it also offers an online employability course that is a self-paced program meant to develop skills valued by employers. It gives an in-depth insight into every facet of the professional world and what pertains to employability. These initiatives at the university are meant to prepare the graduates from a careerist perspective and thereby gearing them up for the real world.
Are you excited about studying a UG program at The University of Queensland? If you are looking forward to joining this venerated university but are unsure about how to proceed, worry not! The admission experts at Leverage Edu will guide you through the admission process and assess your application to increase your chances of being selected to this university. Register today for your e-counselling session and get ready to begin your educational journey with a flair in the heart of Australia.