Germany is renowned for its free and quality higher education (with distinguished students) and educational facilities, while Australia is known for its leading universities in the world, with the added advantage being the striking student life atmosphere and scenic attractions. These vital factors and contrasts between the two countries with top facilities and standard education include eligibility, student expenses, college administration, the process and ease of acquiring a post-graduate visa or a PR visa. This blog brings you an exclusive country comparison between Germany vs Australia to find out which is better for Indian and international students.
This Blog Includes:
Cost of Studying in Germany vs Australia
The cost of tuition and accommodation is the biggest deciding factor when it comes to picking a country to pursue higher studies. A majority of tuition fees depend on the level of the course, the city and the chosen institution. Let’s take a look at the cost of studying in Germany vs Australia for Indian students:
|Particulars||Germany (DEU)||Australia (AUS)|
|Undergraduate Programs||22,375 Euros which is 20,10,000 INR for Undergraduate Programs||AUD$21,000 – AUD$60,000 per year|
(INR 11,66,550 – 33,21,850)
|Postgraduate Programs||34,398 Euros which is approximately |
30,90,000 INR for Postgraduate Courses
|AUD$38,000 – $67,000 per year|
(INR 21,10,900 – 38,33,000)
In Germany, almost 16 state colleges and universities have withdrawn students from any university education, there is only one obligation to pay nominal and miscellaneous fees to study in Germany. The nation still requires students to obtain insurance care as they apply for an educational institution in the country.
To know more, check out Cost of Studying in Germany!
Living Costs in Germany
In addition, housing and other costs are very curable. According to Numbeo’s figures, the cost of living in Germany is around EUR 730.28 [564,500 INR] (in the city centre) and EUR 541.52 [41,884 INR] (outside the center of the city), and the cost of travel is around INR 5,420 per month (taking monthly pass). Munich is estimated to be the city with highest living standard expenditures, while Aachen has the lowest estimate provided by Numbeo for rent, food and other basic utilities. The nation also requires applicants to obtain health benefits to enrol in the country with an academic institution. You will need to pay 80€ (6200 INR) on a regular basis in the case of healthcare coverage.
On the other hand, higher education in Australia can be done at bachelor, master and doctoral level. In addition, the country’s universities give the chance to take up a double bachelor’s degree in a number of fields. Australian universities are commonly known for engineering, technology, medicine, environmental science, accounting, and finance.
Living Costs in Australia
Accommodation costs in Australia depend upon the type of accommodation that you choose to stay in. Here is an overview of the cost of living in Australia:
- Cost for Hostels/Guest House is $90-$150 which is approximately Rs 4,000 – Rs 7,000
- Shared Apartments Expenses is $95-$220 which is approximately Rs 4,600 – Rs 11,000
- On-campus Costs is $110-$300 which adds up to Rs 5,000 – Rs 14,000
- Other Expenses can add up to Gas, Electricity, Entertainment, Transportation, Internet, etc. which can add up to $270-$540 which is Rs 13,000 – Rs 26,000.
To know more, check out Cost of Studying in Australia!
When it comes to the eligibility requirements of Germany vs Australia, the admission requirements for international students are almost the same though Australian universities mainly offer English-taught programs while you can also explore German-taught courses in the former.
- Academic transcripts of your previous degrees as well as senior secondary marksheets
- Proof of language proficiency (German- DSH, TestDaf or English-IELTS, TOEFL, etc.)
- Passport-size photographs
- Copies of your passport (personal details and photo ID page)
- GRE/GMAT Scores
- Proof of Financial Resources
- Motivation Letter (optional)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
More or less, the eligibility requirements are almost the same for the two countries.
Requirements to Study in Australia
- For an undergraduate course, universities will require 12 years of education from a recognised institute.
- Furthermore, some universities might require TOEFL or IELTS to prove English proficiency.
- For post-graduate degrees, all universities need a 3-year undergraduate program.
- However, for engineering, you will have to produce a certificate for a 4-year undergraduate degree.
- TOEFL or IELTS may not be compulsory for some universities, but you will need to sit for them for a Visa.
Must Read: Australian Education System
Student Visa in Germany vs Australia
Although the contrast between Germany vs Australia is complicated, it is also necessary to understand both countries through their immigration and visa process for international students.
Here is a detailed comparison between the student visa process for Germany vs Australia:
- Three Types of student visas in Germany:
- German Student Visa
- German Student Application Visa
- German Language Course Visa
- Validity: 3 Months (can be extended to 6 months given that you get accepted into an academic institution or else get admission into a foundation course or any preparatory German language program within the six-month period.)
- The application process here is that you can commence your student visa application either with your letter of acceptance or entrance exam scores (specified by your chosen institution) or else if you do not have any of these two, then you can opt for a prospective student visa instead.
- Processing Time: Up to 25 days.
- Even though there are many types of Australian Visas, in order to study in Australia, one needs to apply for a SUBCLASS 500 visa.
- To apply for a visa, visa options and requirements are subject to change and to ensure that you have accurate information, stay up to date on the official website of the Department of Home Affairs.
- There are two intakes for admission in the universities – February and July, with some offering intakes in September and November and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to process an application so you must apply at least 6 months prior to the intake.
- Once you’ve completed your application, you will receive a “Letter of Offer” confirming the offer for enrollment. In return, you are required to sign and send an acceptance to the concerned institution.
- Validity: The Australian Student Visa allows you to stay in Australia for upto 5 years and not exceed that time.
- Processing Time: The average processing time for you to get your Australian Student Visa can take upto 4 weeks.
Scholarships in Germany vs Scholarships in Australia
Whether you are planning to study in Germany or Australia, international students can avail varied scholarships offered universities or government organizations in these countries. So, adding to our showdown between Germany vs Australia, we have listed some of the top scholarships for international students aspiring to study in these countries.
Along with the DAAD Scholarships, you can also choose from various other financial aid schemes offered to international students to accomplish their German dream and some of these are as follows:
- Deutschland Stipendium National Scholarship Programme
- Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships in Germany for International Students
- The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarship
- Erasmus Scholarship Programs in Germany
- Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarships in Germany
- Scholarships by Australian Embassy
- Australia Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarship
- Australia Award Scholarship
- ACU Destination Australia International Scholarship
Top 5 Universities in Germany vs Australia
|Name of the University in Germany||Global Rank|
|Technical University of Munich||55|
|Ludwig Maximilian Universityof Munich||63|
|Humboldt University of Berlin||120|
|Karlsruhe Institute of Technology||124|
|Universities||Global Ranking [QS 2020 Rankings]|
|Australian National University||29|
|The University of Melbourne||38|
|The University of Sydney||42|
|University of New South Wales||43|
|The University of Queensland||47|
Thus, these are the differences between Germany vs Australia. If you are sure to study in Australia or Germany, get ready to experience cutting-edge academic and research exposure with a world of learning and career opportunities in a safe and welcoming setting. Our Leverage Edu experts are always a click away from helping you select the best course and university in your dream study destination and further guide you through the admissions process. Sign up for a free session with us now!