Referred to as the ‘Land Down Under’, Australia has emerged as the choicest study destination amongst international students wanting to pursue overseas education at affordable costs. But while exploring top academic programs to study in Australia, you must be familiarized with the Australian intake followed by major academic institutions in the country. The admission intake refers to the general application period for which universities accept applications from students across the globe. These intakes are often held in different time periods in an academic year and go on for a period of 2-3 months. To ensure that your application for the preferred course reaches your dream university before the deadline ends, it is important to know the major admission intakes before applying for a program. This blog brings you a detailed guide on admission intakes in Australia for prominent universities and programs.
This Blog Includes:
- Why study in Australia?
- Understanding the Admission Intakes in Australia
- Intakes in Australia & Available Courses
- Requirements to Study in Australia
- Admission Intakes of Top Universities of Australia
- Timeline to Study in Australia: February Intake 2023
- Things to Keep in Mind While Applying to Intakes in Australia
- How to Choose the Right Admission Intake?
Why study in Australia?
There are many valid reasons why international students choose Australia as a destination for their abroad education. Here are some of the popular ones.
- High-quality Education System – Australia has the highest number of international students after UK and USA. The nation’s quality education system caters to a unique curriculum of higher education that is preferred by many international students.
- Wide variety of Courses – Because of a diverse set of curriculum Australian Universities allows students to choose from a wider variety of courses in their interested fields. The integrated courses of various interrelated subjects is available in almost every top Australian Universities.
- Cultural Diversity – Being home to various ethnicities Australia is one of the biggest melting pot of cultures. It’s no surprise that as an international student you will get to experience various multicultural setting while studying in Australia.
- Incredible Work Opportunities – In order to truly enjoy all that Australia has to offer you also have a wide array of opportunities that you can pursue professionally after graduation. Australia also offers a Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) for those who are interested in staying back and work in Australia after their graduation.
Understanding the Admission Intakes in Australia
There are two major admission intakes in Australia, i.e. February and July Intakes, during which international students can send their prospective applications to their chosen university. Intakes are also referred to as semesters and are open during the following months:
|Semester 1: (February)||October- November|
|Semester 2: (July)||April- May|
The February intake witnesses a large number of applications and is considered as the primary admission intake in Australia. On the other hand, the July intake is open for a fewer number of courses and involves a limited number of students.
Also Read: Hotel Management Courses in Australia
Intakes in Australia & Available Courses
Predominantly, February and July intakes in Australian universities are open for full-time Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Research Oriented programs and PhDs. Further, Australian universities have formulated different admission intakes for vocational courses and these intakes open in January, May or July. Moreover, independent intakes, as well as their duration or month, entirely depends on the university and its prospective course.
How to Choose a Specific Intake?
Which intake in Australia is the best for you? How to make the correct choice? This is a common question witnessed by all the students planning to study abroad. Here are some influential factors which can help you make a better choice:
- Your academic records
- The program you wish to study
- Your proficiency test scores
- Approval of your education loan
- Acceptance rate of the university you plan to pursue
Requirements to Study in Australia
Now that you are familiar with the major intakes in Australia, let’s delve deeper into the major requirements you need to fulfil in order to pursue higher studies in Australia. The actual course requirements differ from course to course and university to university. However, there are some general requirements that are common to different courses and universities in Australia and these are:
- English Language Proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE
- For MBA aspirants, GMAT is an essential standardized test they need to qualify to apply for an MBA in Australia.
- GRE is also widely accepted by Australian universities for MA, MS and even MBA programs.
- Attested copies of class X and XII marksheets.
- SOP and LORs
- Proof of Sufficient Funds
Admission Intakes of Top Universities of Australia
The top-ranked universities in Australia fall under Group Eight (Go8) which is a combination of the country’s oldest and esteemed institutions which have proven out to be par excellence in almost every domain. Let’s go through the major intakes in Australia for applying for admission to these prominent universities.
The Australian National University
Founded in the year 1946, the Australian National University features at the 30th position amongst the top universities in the world ranked by the QS World University Rankings 2023. Here are the major application deadlines and intakes for those aiming to apply for a course at the Australian National University:
|Round 1||12 September|
|Round 2||11 November|
|Round 3||15 December|
Note: The availability of seats in Round 2 and 3 are subject to change.
Check Out: MBA in Australia for Indian Students
The University of Melbourne
Acquiring the 33rd rank in QS Global Rankings 2023, the University of Melbourne was founded in the year 1853 and is considered a leading centre of research and higher education in the country. The intakes in Australia for admissions into the University of Melbourne are as follows:
|Intake 1||Late December|
Recommended Read: MS in Australia
The University of Sydney (USYD)
Renowned for its Science, Technology, Business and Management courses, the University of Sydney is amongst the oldest higher education institutions in the country and has been ranked at #41 by the QS University Rankings 2023. Following intakes are followed for admissions into Usyd programmes:
|Semester 1||11 February|
Recommended Read: Universities in Australia for PhD
The University of New South Wales (UNSW)
Established in the year 1949, the University of New South Wales (UNSW) is a leading academic institution in Australia and has featured at the 45th position in the QS rankings 2023. It also follows the major February intakes in Australia but the second intake is carried out in September. Take a look at the admission deadlines of UNSW elucidated in the following table:
|Commencement for Intake 1||Commencement for Intake 2|
|11-15th February||11-13th September|
The University of Queensland
Another prominent name amongst the world-renowned Australian university, the University of Queensland is situated in Brisbane and is the founding member of the online higher education platform EdX. The admission intakes for the University of Queensland are:
|Intake 1||31st October|
|Intake 2||31st May|
NOTE: The aforementioned dates and deadlines are tentative. Candidates are advised to check the official university website for the admission deadlines pertaining to their chosen course.
Timeline to Study in Australia: February Intake 2023
To help you sort out the application schedule for February Intake in Australia in 2023, we have created a rough timeline you can check out:
|April 2022 to June 2022||-Shortlist 5-8 Universities offering the course you want to study
-Familiarise yourself with the eligibility requirements, scholarships available, education loans, etc.
-Apply for standardised exams like GMAT, GRE, if their scores are required and language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. and start preparing at least three months before the exam.
|June 2022 to August 2022||-Undertake the required exam by November 2022
-Give yourself a month or two additional if you need to retake an exam.
|August 2022 to October 2022||-Begin drafting an SOP and other admission essays and also ask your employer or professors for letters of recommendation.
-Apply to your chosen universities within the deadline, if it’s next month, then make sure that you have all the documents ready as per the checklist provided by the university for your chosen course.
|November 2022 to December 2022||-Universities generally conducted interviews during this time, so keep yourself fully prepared.
-You will also get your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) by November to December and you will be asked to submit a non-refundable fee to confirm your admission
|December 2022 to January 2023||-Gather the documents ready for the student visa application.
-Apply for a student visa within the timeline.
-Apply for the Overseas Student Health Cover.
-You will get the student visa by January at most and you can then fly to Australia to sort out accommodation before the session begins in February.
Things to Keep in Mind While Applying to Intakes in Australia
To get admission into your desired intakes in Australia, you have to keep certain things in mind. Here are some of them:
- Pre pan your application. It is always advised to start your application process at least 3-4 months prior to the deadlines.
- Apply for education loan and VISA as soon as you get your offer letter and these processes can be time consuming.
- Prepare well for necessary exams like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, SAT, etc. Try to clear them in a single go.
- Submit your application on time and prepare well for interviews.
How to Choose the Right Admission Intake?
The major intakes in Australia are held in the month of July and February but as apparent from the aforementioned admission deadlines, many universities have their own specified intakes. Choosing the right intake can play a central role in successfully getting admission into your dream university as the whole application process is largely impacted by the admission intake and deadlines.
The best intakes in Australia differ from course to course. You must consult Leverage Edu experts in order to find out the best intakes in Australia for the course you want to pursue! In general February intakes are most popular among Indian students.
The main 2 intakes in Australia are February and July. But a few universities start the application process a bit early. Thus, candidates can start applying in the months of September and November. Connect with Leverage Edu experts to know the list of universities accepting September intakes.
You can start preparing your application in the month of August for the February intakes. Document collection, preparing and taking the proficiency tests and VISA application process may take time. Thus, it is advised to start 6-10 months before the application deadlines!
The minimum percentage is going to differ across universities and courses.
If you are confused about which intake to opt for applying to your chosen course and university in Australia, our Leverage Edu experts are here to lend you a helping hand. Call us at 1800 572 000 and get your golden ticket to the wildest country!