Selecting a course after completing high school is a tough battle. Many students think of opting for a professional course while others go for an academic degree. If you look into the pool of programs that concentrate on theories over practicals, Bachelor of Arts seems like a suitable option among the other types of bachelors degrees. Providing multiple areas of studies and a vast subject base, it could be a perfect fit for those who want to explore the domain of Liberal Arts. Read on the following blog to know what the course has to offer, before trodding onto this path.
This Blog Includes:
What is a Bachelor of Arts?
A Bachelor of Arts is an undergraduate degree encompassing specializations in different areas of study ranging from Humanities to Science. The course is readily available in universities abroad with multiple areas of study. As compared to a Bachelor of Science, a BA generally gives a learner more flexibility in choosing courses and gaining interdisciplinary education. The course can deepen your cultural understanding and awareness in addition to developing analytical, critical thinking, written and communication skills. The list of the most popular specialisations in BA are listed below:
- English Literature
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- Communication Studies
Bachelor of Arts is a diverse course offered by most of the educational institutes in the world. To pursue the course from a leading university, one must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The student must have passed class XIIth from a recognized central or state board of examination.
- PTE/TOEFL/IELTS scores are required to study abroad.
- SAT and ACT scores are required to fill out the application for a BA course in any leading university.
Top Universities for Bachelor of Arts
There are various universities and colleges in the world which offers specialisation in various subjects of Bachelor of Arts. Here is a list of a few renowned universities from where you can pursue this program
- London School of Economics and Political Sciences, London, UK
- University Of the Arts London, London, England
- Imperial College London, London, England
- University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
- University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
- Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Top BA Degree Courses
As a Bachelor of Arts can provide multiple concentrations, one has a plethora of options to select the one which is the most suitable for their personality. Here is a list of some choicest BA courses:
- BA Economics
- BA English
- BA History
- BA in Public Administration
- BA in Political Science
- BA in Clinical Psychology
- BA in Geography
- BA in Sociology
- BA in Social Work
- BA in Philosophy
Bachelor of Arts can be done with various areas and the subject taught under the program varies as per the area of study. Based on this fact, we have curated a list of core subjects taught in popular BA specializations:
|Area of Study||Topics|
|English||English prose, English poetry, Essay writing, Letter writing, English idioms and phrases, English Grammar|
|Sociology||Nature and Scope of Sociology, Basic Concepts of Sociology, Social Groups, Social Processes, Religion, Social Stratification, Social Control, Social Change|
|Geography||Physical Geography – Lithosphere, Atmosphere and Oceanography|
|Psychology||Nature and definition of psychology, Branches of Psychology, Consciousness, Human Abilities, Personality and Perception, Memory|
|Home Science||Home Management, Resource Management, Money Management, Work Simplification, Elements of Design, Introduction to Family Dynamics|
|Education||Meaning of Education and Educational Processes, Relation of Education and Philosophy, Aims of Education, Individual and Social aims of Education, Sociology and Education, Pre-primary and Primary Education, Education and Mass Media, School as a Social Institution|
BA Career Prospects
After completing a BA course candidates can pursue masters in the same discipline as in their undergraduate studies. Candidates who want to make a career as a teacher can opt for a 4 year B. Ed or other training courses. Going for a full-time job is the most common option among the pass-outs. Here is a list of some popular jobs after BA:
- Content Writer: In this job, one has to create original content as per the demand of an organization. Candidates research using online sources to formulate content.
- Social Worker: Students work with NGOs to resolve a social issue and ensure human rights in society. This job is full of challenges and hardships, thus candidates with high motivation can only do justice to the assigned work.
- Journalist: BA graduates can take up the job of a journalist at big media houses. There is a range of opportunities for candidates ranging from formulating stories to becoming a news anchor in this field.
BA Admission Process
In order to seek admission for BA courses, students are required to meet the following criteria:
- All students must have passed in 12th board exam with minimum marks in the required or related subjects as per the university and course criteria.
- Students are required to submit scores for IELTS, TOEFL, SAT or ACT based on the university.
- Students can also use their 12th board exams and qualify for the admission process based on merit.
- Some universities even host entrance exams for different BA subects to complete the admission process.
Types of BA
Here are the major types of BA course programs for students to explore:
- Regular BA program: A regular BA program is the most common type of bachelors in arts. It is offered by multiple universities and colleges across the globe in a number of subjects for 3-4 years.
- Part-time BA program: Part-time programs are BA programs which are competed over a span of 6 years and allows students to balance their academics with other pursuits. Students are required to attend classes and submit all the assignments and tests to get their degree.
- Distance BA program: An online BA program is a fully distance course which can be completed within 3-4 years
- Integrative BA program: An integrative BA program is the one where students study two subjects simultaneously to gain a level of proficiency in the both fields. It takes 5 years to complete an integrative BA course.
Bachelors of Arts includes a host of BA subjects and the syllabus for each course differs based on the course and university. The syllabus is a compilation of core and elective courses for students to pursue and complete in order to get their degree.
BA English Subjects
- Nineteenth-Century European Realism
- Literary Criticism
- World Literature
- American Literature
- European Classic Literature
- Postcolonial Literature
- Literature and Cinema
- Indian Classic Literature
- Modern European Drama
- British Literature
- Post World War II
- British Romantic Literature
- English Poetry: The Pre- Romantic to the Victorian
- Women’s Writing Literary Theory
- English Drama: Elizabethan to Victorian
BA Economics Subjects
- Introductory Microeconomics
- Introductory Macroeconomics
- Introductory Econometrics
- Mathematical Methods for Economics
- Development Economics
BA Psychology Subjects
- Development Psychology
- Educational Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Industrial Psychology
- Guidance and Counselling
- Project work
- Field Work
- Forensic Psychology
- Environmental Psychology
- Sports Psychology
- Analytical Physical Geography
- Cartographic Techniques
- Environmental Geography
- Spatial Dimensions of Development
- Evolution of Geographical Thought
- Social Geography
- Disaster Management
- Regional Planning: Case Studies
- Geographical Information System
- Rural Development
BA Sociology Subjects
- Introduction to Sociology
- Economy and Society
- Gender Sensitisation
- Methods of Sociological Enquiry
- Religion and Society
- Sociological Theories
- Gender and Sexuality
- Techniques of Social Research
BA Anthropology Subjects
- Human Genetics
- Introduction to Social Anthropology
- Introduction to Biological Anthropology
- Primate Biology/ Cell Biology
- Anthropology of religion, politics & economy
- Biostatistics and Data Analysis
- Biological Diversity in Human Populations
- Human Ecology: Social and Cultural Dimensions
- Genetics & Genomics
BA is an all-inclusive area of study and students are enter a number of fields after pursuing this degree. Students are enter fields like politics, psychology, management, business, corporate, mass media, communication, archaeology and academics as well. Here are some jobs for BA graduates:
- Civil Servant
- Public Administrator
- Copy/Content Writer
- Social Critic
- Rehabilitation Counsellor
- Family Counsellor
Here are some top companies that hire BA graduates for different job profiles:
- TATA Consultancy Services (TCS)
- HCL Technologies
- HDFC Bank
If you are someone who is planning to study Bachelor of Arts from a university abroad, contact Leverage Edu. We will connect you with a suitable mentor who will help you draft a perfect application to your dream college.