In recent times, Australian universities have become prime educational destinations for Indian students. The University of Queensland is one of the most popular names amongst them. A member of the 6 sandstone Universities in the Aussie land, it is a globally ranked and reputed educational institution serving as a landmark of excellence for more than a hundred years. UQ is only one of three Australian members of the global Universitas 21; a founding member of the Group of Eight (Go8) universities; a member of Universities Australia; and one of only three Australian charter members of the global edX consortium for massive open online programs (MOOCs). It has more than 53,600 students, including the majority of Queensland’s highest academic achievers, as well as top interstate and overseas students across UQ’s three beautiful campuses – St Lucia, Herston and Gatton. With the help of this article, we will explore what it means to study at The University of Queensland and how students can secure their dream admits at a World Top 50 University.
This Blog Includes:
- Study in Australia at UQ
- About The University of Queensland
- Why Study at The University of Queensland?
- Not If, When — the Campaign to Create Change
- Study at The University of Queensland: Programs
- UQ – Where Independence Finds You
- Eligibility Criteria
- UQ Student Stories
- Scholarships offered at The University of Queensland
Study in Australia at UQ
About The University of Queensland
A public research university located in the city of Brisbane, The University of Queensland has established itself as a prominent contributor to the contemporary world of education. For more than a century, The University of Queensland (UQ) has maintained a global reputation for creating positive change by delivering knowledge leadership for a better world.
UQ ranks among the world’s top universities, as measured by several key independent rankings, including the CWTS Leiden Ranking (32), the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities (40), U.S. News Best Global Universities Rankings (42), QS World University Rankings (46), Academic Ranking of World Universities (54), and Times Higher Education World University Rankings (66).
The institution has been widely recognized as one of the best in terms of diverse programs, student appeal and education excellence. Thousands of students seek admission in the university for future-enabled programs for the February and July intakes. The university has six faculties, eight globally recognised research institutes and research centres that attract an interdisciplinary community of 1500 scientists, social scientists and engineers.
- Faculty of Business, Economics and Law
- Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Information Technology
- Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
The university has also established 3 huge campuses in Australia, namely:
The university comprises 2,60,000 notable alumni ranging from Nobel Prize winners to Rhodes scholars. More than 100 Olympic medalists have bloomed from the university grounds, winning many accolades over the years in different sports.
Why Study at The University of Queensland?
Here are some reasons why you must consider furthering your educational journey at The University of Queensland:
- Located in Brisbane, Queensland
The University of Queensland is located in Brisbane which is the third-largest city in Australia. It is one of Australia’s fastest-growing capital cities for employment growth and offers a great range of opportunities in both public and private sectors. Home to many global brands like Fendi and Saint Laurent, most of the Australian and international companies have offices in the city, providing students with access to exciting job opportunities and a chance to learn from the best in the field. The city is also famous for its stunning beaches, sporting culture and the cosmopolitan downtown area.
- Global Ranking
UQ is one of only three Australian members of the global Universities 21 and a founding member of the Group of Eight (Go8) universities. Apart from that, it ranks as a global education leader and ranks in world’s top universities by several independent rankings including:
- QS World University Rankings 2022 – 50
- Times Higher World University Ranking 2022 – 54
- Nature Index – 1st
- US News Best Global Universities – 36
- Teaching Quality and Research
The University of Queensland has a strong focus on teaching excellence research and has won more Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) than any other university in the country. It offers significant support to higher degree by research (HDR) students through a broad range of scholarships and research travel awards, dedicated office spaces, skills training, and professional development opportunities. With the constant changes, in the social, economic and technological sectors, UQ aims to embrace the change. A continuous effort to add innovation and research in the program design coupled with expert supporting staff pushes students to achieve their best. This unique approach to transform the student experience through a strategic plan provides students with the intellectual capacity and critical skills to engage in modern society. Flexible and integrated teaching approach helps students to accelerate their studies, spread their academic workload, engage in co-curricular activities and create a better balance of study and other obligations.
- Range of Future-enabled Programs
The sheer number of available programs at The University of Queensland is quite exciting for students who seek variety in education. The programs offered at UQ are innovative, practical and focus on research to solve the present-day problems. The entire teaching staff at UQ makes sure the learning is not limited to the classroom. World-class research facilities and infrastructure enables students to learn and build. UQ has a long history of collaborating with government and business partners to solve the world’s most challenging problems. These programs are specifically designed as per the industry requirements, giving students crucial insights into the topic by integrating practical knowledge with class learning. There are hundreds of programs which students can study at The University of Queensland, at the undergraduate, postgraduate and research levels.
- Awards and Achievements
Over the years, The University of Queensland has been successful in gaining international recognition. Here are some of their noteworthy rankings and achievements:
- MBA degrees offered at UQ are recognized as the best among all its peers by the Australian Financial Review
- The University of Queensland stands at 50th place on the QS Rankings 2022, and 54th position on THE World University Rankings 2022.
- The community development program offered at the UQ has won recognition by the UN
- Hundreds of UQ alumni, teams, research groups and faculty have received awards for their contribution and performance in their respective fields
- Expert Faculty and Great Research Opportunities
Constituted of a faculty of 2400, studying at the UQ can be highly rewarding. The university houses experts from all prominent disciplines who impart quality education to students, both inside and outside the classroom. No wonder, the university has been awarded more teaching awards than any other in the country. This resource can act as a huge asset for students who wish to pursue research at the UQ. Coupled with some of the brightest minds, the infrastructural capabilities of The University of Queensland can bring forth some really great results.
- Immense Networking Opportunities
For those who wish to study at The University of Queensland, the rich pool of university alumni can serve as a hidden treasure. The university ranks 57th in the world as per the Graduate Employability QS Rankings, The university conducts numerous events where students can get in touch with the notable UQ alumni. These relations can be beneficial for aspiring students who are looking to pave their way in the modern world, often providing them with key links and sources. After graduating from the university, the students themselves become a part of this coveted community, which gives them opportunities to reconnect with fellow members and enjoy an intellectual company.
- Engaging Campus Life
Apart from its academic prowess, The University of Queensland also offers a lively college life to its students. With more than 150 social clubs which also include 33 sports clubs on campus, all students are sure to find a recreation of their taste. Additionally, the university also provides cultural attractions which include music concerts, cultural events and collections. Large grounds, a relaxing atmosphere and cultural diversity makes UQ an amazing place to study.
Not If, When — the Campaign to Create Change
Study at The University of Queensland: Programs
One of the major highlights of pursuing your education at The University of Queensland is the diversity of available programs. Here are some of the top programs at The University of Queensland:
|Agricultural Science||Architecture||Pharmacy||Computer Science|
|Sustainable Energy||Quantum Technology||Medicine||Engineering|
|Social Work Studies||Governance and Public Policy||Writing, Editing and Publishing||Commerce|
The Undergraduate degree programs at the UQ are offered in the following variations:
- Bachelor Hons.
- Bachelor (Dual Degree)
- Bachelor (Dual Degree) Hons.
Here are some of the most popular undergraduate programs at UQ:
|Writing||Political Science||Gender Studies||Arts/Arts Hons.|
|Public Relations||Human Resources||Statistics||Software Design|
|Advanced Business||Archaeology||Business Economics||Public Health|
|Nanotechnology Hons.||Chemical Biotechnology||Advanced Humanities||Biomedical Science|
Similar to undergraduate programs, the volume of available postgraduate programs is also immense and you can hope to find any program you wish to pursue. As per the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), both postgraduate research and coursework program work as pathways for further learning. Postgraduate research programs prepare students in terms of carrying out further research in their area of study and encompass independent research carried out under a senior academic scholar and are completed with the submission of a major thesis. On the other hand, postgraduate coursework programs include a minor thesis, assignments as well as core, elective and optional subjects as per part of the curriculum and gear up students for professional exposure. Here are some of the most popular Masters programs offered at UQ:
|International Law||Marketing||Quantum Technology||Statistics|
|Architecture||Cyber Defense||Data Science||Applied Finance|
|Physics||Hotel Management||Bioengineering||Molecular Biology|
|Infrastructure and Resources||Peace and Conflict Studies||Geographic Information||Manufacturing Engineering|
|Organisational Psychology||Advanced Economics||Governance and Public Policy||Financial Mathematics|
UQ – Where Independence Finds You
Like any other ace university, there are certain eligibility parameters that students must adhere to in order to study at The University of Queensland. These vary from level of education to the type of program pursued. Students are advised to check the admission criteria of the program they are aiming to pursue with Leverage Edu experts. Nonetheless, we have compiled a list of generic requirements that must be met by every student who is looking for a place in the university:
For Undergraduate Students
- Students must possess high school qualification accepted by the UQ or its equivalent.
- Students must achieve the minimum entry score decided by the university for specific programs if any.
- Students must satisfy the subject prerequisites, i.e. they must have studied a mandatory subject in their school.
- They must meet the English language requirements. The most widely used language proficiency indicators are standardised tests like IELTS and TOEFL.
- If students are applying for a special program, they must complete the program-specific application requirements, if any.
For Postgraduate Students
- While applying for a postgraduate program, students must ensure they possess a previous undergraduate degree or professional experience in the target field.
- For programs which have a minimum cutoff, students must score a minimum grade point average (GPA) to be eligible.
- Students must clear standardised English language proficiency exams to display their language prowess.
- Other than these, the students must meet some other program-specific requirements, which are stated on the official website.
UQ Student Stories
Scholarships offered at The University of Queensland
UQ offers a number of scholarships to its applicants across all UQ faculties. These comprise dedicated scholarships for native and international students. While such scholarships can not only promote a student to study at the University of Queensland, but also provide crucial financial support. Let’s have a look at the popular ones for Indian students:
- High Achievers Scholarship for International Students
- India Global Leaders Scholarship
- School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences Indian Scholarship
- UQ Economics India Scholarship
- UQIDAR Joint PhD Program
- Women in Science Scholarship for India
- HASS Scholarships for Excellence
- EAIT International Award
- Law Scholarships for International Students – Undergraduate
- Law Scholarships for International Students – Postgraduate
- MBA Student Scholarship
- UQ Vice-Chancellors Scholarships
- UQ Excellence Scholarships
- Science International Scholarship
- Destination Australia Scholarship
- Master of Pharmaceutical Industry Practice International Student Scholarship
A great university can be the deciding factor for your future career prospects. Getting an education from The University of Queensland is just the beginning that you need to be successful. To get an insight into the admission process and other intricacies, consult our career experts at Leverage Edu. Not only do we provide tailored guidance to students, but we also aid them throughout the admission and enrollment process, making the whole experience enjoyable and rewarding. Sign up for a free e-meeting to get started right away!