The University of Queensland is one of the top-notch universities in Australia as well as the world. Established over a century ago, it has set an amazing record when it comes to innovation and research. It has inspired minds globally with its research in various fields which are essential to sustain the environment and great a global impact. It has been consistently ranked among the top 50 best Universities in the world. The University of Queensland is also among the top 50 as measured by the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities. It ranks 54th in the Academic Ranking of the World Universities and has won more teaching and learning awards than any other University in Australia. It is located in Brisbane, which is known for having flourishing business offices and a serene environment. Studying at UQ offers numerous opportunities to open up vast possibilities for your career. Want to know how? Let’s take a look at this blog on careers and employability at The University of Queensland!
This Blog Includes:
Create the Change
Career Events at UQ
The University of Queensland not only helps in developing your skills through different experiences but also pushes you to gain an insight on using your abilities effectively, in order to make an impact in your workplace. To promote distinctive careers and employability at The University of Queensland, and to build social networks, the management of UQ organizes various events such as:
- Employability Week: The employability week at UQ is one of the highlights of the college events. The whole emphasis is set on making students aware of the various employment sectors and ways to adapt to the changing world and the various professions. The week includes days for every division (postgraduates, employers, industries). It covers unique and important topics essential to promote female leaders around the world. It helps students get a detailed insight into what employers expect in the professional world and how to deal with it. This program manages to touch every subject from psychology to management and its career expectations in the world
- Global Experiences Expo: The Global Experience expo is designed so as to help students know about volunteering programs, academic programs, internships, entrepreneurship opportunities that are organized in colleges/universities globally. The UQ has partnered with more than 20 universities in different countries to help students get maximum experience.
- Virtual Career Fairs: As the world has started to operate from the comfort of their homes, UQ has arranged this virtual career fair which is completely online and makes it easier for students to browse through many job profiles and choose accordingly. It has a separate program called pathways to employability for students who have any disability or chronic health conditions. The students can register and be involved in the Q&A session along with presentations provided by companies. There are various video call rooms for each employer.
The Career Development Learning at UQ
The University of Queensland offers career development services to all its students to ensure that they make the most of the available opportunities. Let’s take a look at some of the career enhancing resources you can avail as a student of UQ:
- Employability communication: Since a lot of employers are placing emphasis on practical knowledge, this resource helps students know how to communicate their strengths to the employers effectively, excel in their interviews, transfer their attributes at the workplace and keep working on them continuously.
- Developing resumes and applications: UQ provides you with resources and workshops to help you in optimising your application so that it stands out. Various tips are also provided for making your application and resume appealing and unique in this section.
- Interview tips: It is important to prepare yourself for the interview by doing prior research about the company and what they expect. UQ helps students in this aspect by providing various frequently asked questions and helping them recognize certain trends which are distinctive for different companies. Also, students can make the use of workshops and resources to prepare for their interviews.
- Entrepreneurship ideas: UQ offers entrepreneurship support through a unique program called UQ Ventures, which offers support to students at all stages of their entrepreneurial journey.
- Along with accessing resources that make job search easier, students at UQ can also benefit from the extensive industry connections they can build through networking.
How UQ Prepares Students for First Job and Beyond?
How Else does UQ help in Developing your Career
There is a range of different ways in which studying at UQ can help you in your future career. Let’s take a look at some of these:
- Clubs and Societies: Offers a chance to connect with like-minded people and build lifelong networks
- Volunteering opportunities: Gives you a chance to build on your skills while also engaging in both professional and personal networking
- Internships: Gain experience through internships and add to your skills
- Global experiences: Develop a global outlook through short term programs and exchange opportunities
- Employability course: Enroll for a free online course that helps you maximise your potential
- Career advice: Connect with career advisors to know about the opportunities you can explore
Owing to its culture-friendliness and diversity, The University of Queensland fascinates students and employees globally. To know more about the careers at UQ, get in touch with experts at Leverage Edu and begin your application!