Bachelor of Veterinary Science(BVSc) is the ideal degree option for applicants who love animals and desire to study medicinal science to cure animal ailments. The program is also known as B.V.Sc, and it provides instruction that allows graduates to diagnose and treat animal ailments, illnesses, and disorders. If you are a true zoophilist and want to profess your love for animals by gaining medical acumen then a Bachelor of Veterinary Science is for you!
|Course Duration||5 years|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5 lacs|
|Job Positions||Veterinary Doctors, Veterinary Officers, Veterinary Research Assistants, Veterinary Surgeons, Animal Breeders, Social Workers, etc|
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Bachelor’s in Veterinary Science?
- Why BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science)?
- Advantages of BVSc
- Types of BVSc courses
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc) Entrance Exams
- BVSc Admission Process
- BVSc Course Structure and Specializations Offered
- Top Universities Abroad for Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Top Colleges in India for BVSc Courses
- BVSc Scope
- Courses after BVSc
- Jobs and Salaries After Bachelor of Veterinary Science
What is a Bachelor’s in Veterinary Science?
The Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc) degree in veterinary medicine provides world-class scientific and clinical training. This fascinating course draws on our long veterinary tradition while also taking a novel approach to combining technology advancements, clinical and scientific advancements, and engaging teaching and learning approaches. You’ll learn essential problem-solving, communication, and team-working skills as well as a solid grasp of the science that underpins veterinary practice and research.
This thorough curriculum will assist you in gaining a fundamental biological understanding of normal bodily function and disease, as well as the capacity to discern the pathological from the normal, avoid disease, and properly manage animal production operations. You’ll also look at ways to advance veterinary knowledge via research, as well as build the knowledge and abilities needed to diagnose and treat illness and alleviate suffering, as well as the professional skills needed to work and communicate successfully in practice. In the nations where it is conferred, the degree is usually necessary for becoming a veterinarian.
Why BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science)?
If you are passionate about building a safe and loving environment for animals then an undergraduate program for Veterinary Sciences is one of the best courses you would want to pursue. The major reasons why you should study BVSc are:
The purpose of this program is to provide well-skilled Veterinary graduates with a genuine commitment to animal care, welfare and research. BVSc is an industry relevant program that provides you with a good demand in the initial stages of a career in Veterinary Sciences.
Students are taught management skills, development of Diagnostics and are provided with holistic learning experience. Learning clinical and business skills together can definitely help you for career advancement.
While pursuing BVSc, the skills and expertise you gain are capable of providing high-quality health care and maintenance of livestock.
Advantages of BVSc
- A BVSc degree provides you with the opportunity to choose a career as a veterinarian or relative at both national and international level.
- A veterinary science graduate can get a job in the defence services for taking care of military dogs that helps in the defence services.
- A career in Veterinary Science can be feasible as it provides different career options into surgeries and the treatment of animals. Upon your graduation in BVSc, you can easily find relevant and top job profiles in the Veterinary sector.
- Self-employment is one of the significant advantages of pursuing a BVSc degree. You can open veterinary clinics and more after completing your degree in Veterinary Science.
Types of BVSc courses
BVSc courses are offered in Full-time mode, distance learning and in online modes.
|BVSc Full-time Courses||BVSc is a top-rated medical course that takes around 5 years to complete. You must be at least 17 years of age to pursue this program. A minimum of 50% in subjects relevant to this program is required for admission.|
|BVSc Distance Learning Courses||This course is specifically designed for qualified and practising veterinarians. The course may take around 14 weeks to complete, however, the duration of the course varies for the offering bodies. A minimum of 50% is needed to complete the course.|
|BVSc Online Courses||Various sites such as Coursera, edX and more offer Online BVSc courses. The duration of these courses varies.|
Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc) Entrance Exams
For admission to bachelor’s degrees in Veterinary Sciences, the ‘All India Pre Veterinary Test (AIPVT) was used. NEET scores, on the other hand, have been taken into account for admission to BVSc since 2017. The following is a list of some of the entrance exams that are used to determine admission to BVSc:
|Exam name||Exam Date|
|AAU VET||September 2022|
|UP Veterinary entrance exam||June 2022|
|BHU UET||April 2022|
The minimum Eligibility Criteria for admission in Bachelor of Veterinary Science:
- A minimum of 50% in class 12th with (PCMB) (physics, chemistry, and biology) as obligatory courses is required.
- Admission to BVSc requires that you be at least 18 years old. The highest age limit, however, is 25 years.
- In terms of age, reserved category candidates are given a one-year advantage. Candidates from scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, as well as other reserved categories, are given a 5% mark relaxation.
English Proficiency Requirements
The following are the minimum English proficiency requirements for studying Bachelor of Veterinary Science Abroad:
|Australia||(IELTS score of 7.0) is required for entry into the Bachelor of Veterinary Science course in Australia|
|UK||(IELTS score of 6.0+) is required for entry into Bachelor of Veterinary Science in the UK|
|US||(IELTS score of 7.0+) is required for entry into the Bachelor of Veterinary Science course in the US|
|Canada||(IELTS score of 6.5+)is required for entry into the Bachelor of Veterinary Science course in Canada|
BVSc Admission Process
Here is a step-by-step guide that will help you to apply for a bachelor of Veterinary Science course:
- The entrance exam results determine admission to the undergraduate Veterinary program.
- Examine the qualifying requirements and take the BVSc entrance test.
- After the shortlisting, admission to the colleges will start with the counseling round.
- A college admission will be granted based on the examination score and the admission quota.
- Make your admissions fees and reserve your spot.
BVSc Course Structure and Specializations Offered
BVSc is divided into 10 semesters that includes theory, practical sessions and experience in animal treatment training and care. The course structure for BVSc is as mentioned:
- Veterinary anatomy
- Veterinary physiology
- Veterinary biochemistry
- Veterinary pharmacology and toxicology
- Veterinary parasitology
- Veterinary microbiology
- Veterinary pathology
- Veterinary public health and epidemiology
- Animal nutrition
- Animal genetics and breeding
- Livestock production management
- Livestock products Technology
- Veterinary Gynecology and obstetrics
- Veterinary surgery and radiology
- Veterinary medicine
- Veterinary and animal husbandry extension education
You can opt for various specialisations for an undergraduate program in Veterinary Sciences. Listed below are the specializations for BVSc program:
- BVSc Animal Nutrition
- BVSc Veterinary Pathology
- BVSc Animal Genetics and Breeding
- BVSc Livestock Production and Management
- BVSc Veterinary Microbiology
- BVSc Veterinary Surgery and Radiology
Top Universities Abroad for Bachelor of Veterinary Science
The top universities that offer Bachelor of Veterinary Science degrees are listed below according to the QS World University Rankings 2022:
|University||QS Top University Subject Rankings 2022|
|The University of Sydney||#38|
|The University of Queensland||#47|
|The University of Guelh in Canada||#352|
|The University of Winnipeg||#672|
|University of Surrey||#272|
|University of Stirling||#471|
|Cornell University in the United States||#230|
Also Check Out: Top Universities in the World 2022
Top Colleges in India for BVSc Courses
Veterinary colleges can be found in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Orissa, Uttar Pradesh, and other Indian states. The following are the top universities that offer bachelor’s degrees in Veterinary Sciences:
- Anand Agricultural University (College of Veterinary Science and animal husbandry)
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
- Junagadh Agriculture University
- Navsari Agricultural University
- Bihar Agricultural University
- West Bengal University of animal and fishery Sciences
- Orissa University of agricultural technology
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Bikaner
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute
After completing a BVSc degree, you can apply for various job profiles in the field, both nationally and internationally.
Some of the Job Roles at National and International level for a BVSc graduate are as listed below:
- Veterinary Surgeon
- Veterinary Doctor
- Veterinary Officer
- Animal Breeders
- Veterinary Research Assistant
- Food Safety and Inspection Veterinarian
- Food Animal Veterinarians
- Companion Animal Veterinarians
- Equine Veterinarians
- Research Veterinarians
- Animal Hospitals
- Research Centres
- Agricultural Universities
- Animal care NGOs
- Animal Care Clinic
Average Salary after BVSc
|Job Profile||Average Salary per annum- India||Average Salary per annum- USA|
|Veterinary Surgeon||INR 5,97,722||US$ 98,521
|Veterinary Doctor||INR 5,98,566||US$ 90,420
|Veterinary Officer||INR 6,00,000||US$ 124,669
|Research Veterinarian||INR 7,00,000||US$ 126,774
Courses after BVSc
After completing your Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science, you can opt for a master’s degree in Veterinary Science with a specialization in specific expertise. Listed below are some of the popular Master’s courses in Veterinary Science:
- MVSc Veterinary parasitology
- MVSc Veterinary biochemistry
- MVSc Pharmacology and toxicology
- MVSc Veterinary microbiology
- MVSc Livestock products Technology
- MVSc Animal genetics and breeding
- MVSc Veterinary surgery and radiology
- MVSc Veterinary and animal husbandry extension
- MVSc Animal nutrition
Jobs and Salaries After Bachelor of Veterinary Science
As per your choice and interest of specialization, you can practice veterinary with a valid license. There are several options for choosing a career and pursuing professionalism.
|Social Workers for Animals||3,15,247|
A Veterinarian Surgeon is responsible for managing and practising finances, visiting the living environment, working on surgery to emergency parts and carrying out blood sample and ultrasound scans and other things as demanded by the circumstances.
It takes around 8 years to become a Vet.
The United Kingdom and United States are among the top countries that offer top class degrees in Veterinary Sciences.
Do you want to study Veterinary Science in another country? Contact our Leverage Edu specialists and counselors at 1800572000 for end-to-end help with everything from choosing the proper university to the Visa application procedure.