Mass Communication has existed since ancient times when it was present in the basic forms of verbal and non-verbal communication. With the progressing time, mass media has transformed immensely from being a medium of public communication to becoming a global platform of social communication where people can freely express themselves. The new technologies and social media platforms have changed the way we perceive the world around us. Further, this outbreak of innovations and technologies has also boosted the media industry leading to colossal career opportunities emerging in this field. In this blog, we will walk you through various types of Mass Communication and the diverse opportunities you can explore in this ever-growing field.
Know All About Mass Communication Courses After 12th
This Blog Includes:
- Types of Mass Communication
- Traditional/Print Media
- Broadcast Media
- Outdoor & Transit Media
- Digital/New Media
- Examples of Types of Mass Communication
- Types of Mass Communication Courses
- Functions of Mass Communication
- Types of Mass Communication Slideshare
- Benefits of Mass Communication
- Mass Communication Job Profiles
Types of Mass Communication
Mass Communication is termed as a medium of dispersing information to a large group of people. It is a means of disseminating information beyond physical and geographical restraints through various media. From folk songs, dances and theatres to radio, video games and social media, Mass Communication has always been an integral part of the human world. With time and the constant growth in communication technologies, the reach and ambit of mass communication has expanded aggressively.
There are mainly four types of Mass Communication:
- Print Media: Newspapers, Magazines, Books and Novels, Comics, Journals and Publications
- Broadcast Media: Films, Television, Radio
- Outdoor and Transit Media: Billboards, boardings, posters, banners
- Digital Media/New Media: Social media, video platforms, websites, mobile apps, e-books, podcasts, online radio
We have listed down the widely used types of Mass Communication from traditional to new media.
Must Read: Masters in Mass Communication
Amongst the conventional forms and types of Mass Communication, the print media comprises of those platforms that facilitate communication mainly through written communication such as newspapers, books, journals, etc. In earlier times when cinema and TV hadn’t emerged, print media forms were utilised to publish the latest news and happenings as well as for entertainment purposes. Even in the digital age, print media hasn’t lost its prominence as we still cherish the morning newspaper with a cup of tea as well as find leisure in reading our favourite novels in the paperback format rather than through a screen. The most crucial change brought to print media is that it has advanced towards online platforms as well since many newspapers have established a strong online presence to keep people updated about the latest happenings across the globe bringing them at the touch of our screens!
Must Explore: Types of Journalism
Broadcast Media mainly refers to the electronic broadcast platforms that are amongst the pivotal types of mass communication. Whether through radio, films or TV shows, this form of mass media carries out the distribution of news, information and entertainment through audio and visuals by implementing electronic broadcasting platforms. Below we have detailed the major three kinds of broadcast media, i.e. Radio, Film and Television.
Radio is one of the oldest types of Mass Communication. It is a medium through which electromagnetic signals are delivered over long distances. Being a traditional form of Mass Media, radio was earlier used to make news announcements, telecast important events and then it also started broadcasting music as well as entertaining conversational programs. With the digital age, online radio channels have emerged which made it more accessible than FMs that worked on certain frequencies and network connections.
Recommended Read: Radio Jockey Course
Film and Television
When Thomas Edison invented the Kinetoscope by Thomas Edison, the phenomena of motion pictures came into being. Film and Television are the major sources of entertainment to more than 90% of the world’s total population. It is one of the most popular types of Mass Communication which include both audio-visual aspects of communication. Moving pictures and sounds along with interactive storytelling works in confluence with each other to provide content that is engaging and entertaining. Moreover, the TV and Film industry is filled with massive career opportunities whether you are a creative writer or an imaginative visualizer. For those wanting to make a career in this branch of broadcast media, there are a multitude of courses available from Digital Filmmaking to Film Editing as well as Multimedia and Animation and Cinematography courses!
Check Out Our Exclusive Guide on How to Become a Filmmaker?
Outdoor & Transit Media
One of the underrated yet potential types of Mass Communication, Outdoor media corresponds to the dissemination of information as well as advertising through our outer environments such as billboards, posters, boardings, banners, etc. This form is utilised to advertise products or services as well as spread social information and awareness to the general public. Quite similar to the outdoor media, Transit Media is more inclined towards advertising through posters, banners, signs and notices in means of transportations such as Buses, Metro, Rail, amongst others.
Check Out: Advertising Courses
Digital Media is one of the recent and popular types of Mass Communication and has become an influential form of media in the present time. Also referred to as new media, it combines all the attributes of interactive communication as the internet provides quick and easily accessible information in a variety of formats. It encompasses wide-ranging mediums such as emails, podcasts, blogs, websites, videos, social media, amongst others. Be it the digital applications in your smartphone or your favourite video game to play online, digital media has encompassed a larger part of our daily activities. A career in digital marketing and social media marketing is amongst the most trending ones in the present times as every organisation is consistently striving to create a strong online presence and thus better facilitation of communication with their target audience!
Explore Digital Media in detail through our exclusive list of top Digital Marketing Books!
Examples of Types of Mass Communication
Mentioned below are several examples of types of mass communication which we use in our everyday life and can learn a lot from too! They are different modes of communication and are extremely important. Have a look here:
- Movies and Films
Movies or films are not just a mode of entertainment nowadays, it is also a way of connecting with the masses on a large scale. Movies with social messages are being made these days to educate and inform the masses as well. Films or movies are released throughout the country and impact people at a mass scale.
- Social Media
These days social media websites are a way to connect with the masses. It does not matter which part of the world you are in but you can connect or stay in touch with other people located in an altogether different part. Some examples of social media are YouTube, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Books whether paperback or an ebook is another important source and example of mass communication. It has a mass outreach and provides in-depth knowledge and information about many topics.
The companies who hire people behind advertising and how it has to be presented in front of the masses depict certain advertisements in such a way that they encourage purchasing.
Journalism such as Print Journalism or Digital Journalism collect relevant information about events which are taking place all over the country and the world and present them to the masses for consumption. It is one of the most popular ways of mass communication since it reaches the masses at a large scale.
Photography is one of the most influential and popular means of mass communication. It is a visual-based medium of mass communication and portrays a deep message. With photographs, the masses get a real image of events which are happening and feel more connected with the events of the outside world.
Types of Mass Communication Courses
There is an array of mass communication courses offered by universities and colleges in India and around the world. Here are the major types of Mass Communication courses:
Diploma Courses in Mass Communication
- Diploma/PG Diploma in Photography
- Diploma in Advertising & Brand Communication
- Diploma in Public Relation & Event Management
- PG Diploma in TV Journalism & Communication
Bachelor’s Courses in Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts and Sciences in Communication
- Bachelor of Science in Communication – Science, Health, Environmental, and Risk Communication Bachelor of Fine Arts in Communication Design
- Bachelor of Arts in Media and Screen Studies and Media Arts
- Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication Bachelor of Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication – Rhetoric and Political Culture
- BJMC (Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication)
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies – Communication and Public Advocacy
- BA Journalism and Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Arts in Corporate Communication
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies – Communication Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication – Strategic Communication
- Bachelor of Science in Communication of Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Mass Media Studies
Master’s Level Courses in Mass Communication
- Master of Arts in Communication Studies – Global Communication
- Master of Arts in Communication Studies – Interpersonal Communication
- Master of Science in Comparative Media Studies
- Master of Arts in Communication Studies – Mediated and Mass Communication
- Master of Arts in Intercultural and International Communication
- MA in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Master of Science in Mass Communication – Marketing Communication Research
- MA in English – Rhetoric and Communication Design
- Master of Arts in English Studies and Communication
- Master of Arts in Communication and Media Administration
- MA Communication and Culture Master of Science in Public Communication and Technology
Functions of Mass Communication
The different types of mass media play varied roles whether as mediums of communication, a watchdog of democracy, impact on the popular culture and so on. Here are the key functions of Mass Communication:
- Information: The first and foremost role of mass communication is disperse and disseminate information which is correct, unbiased and from around the world. As social media and online forms of mass communication have emerged, it has become difficult to identify which information is correct or not thus, the digital era is filled with information but its authenticity is something that is continuously being questioned.
- Rapid and Fast Communication: Mass communication also plays a pivotal role in ensuring a rapid and faster communication amongst the masses. From digital media to broadcast media, every communication medium has its own form of communication and messages to convey.
- Entertainment: The types of communication also provide entertainment and infotainment to the masses in the form of music, videos, TV, radio, amongst others.
- Surveillance: Since it is referred to as the watchdog of a democracy, Mass Communication also ensures surveillance in a society as it informs us about the happenings from around the world and keeps us aware of the local, national and international events.
Benefits of Mass Communication
Mass Communication is the most important source of information to the masses. It keeps the masses enlightened and updated about the happenings all around the world. Without various mediums of mass communication, 2021 would be a dark year. Even during the ongoing pandemic, it is only through various means of mass communication that the world was updated about the threat that Covid 19 is.
It also has a major role to play in the authenticity of the news. It is the technique of reaching out to the corners of the world and help every individual form an opinion of their own.
Mass communication also has an important role to play in globalisation and making the world a smaller place by keeping everyone connected to each other.
Mass Communication Job Profiles
Mentioned below are various job profiles related to mass communication. Check it out:
- News Editor
- Screen Writer
- TV Anchor
- Event Manager
- Film Director
- Content Writer
- Public Relations Officer
- Radio Jockey
- Video Jockey
The major types of mass communication are:
Film and television
The 5 basic types of mass media includes newspaper, TV, radio, internet and magazines.
Hence, Mass Communication is a vast field filled with copious mediums that are ever-growing in the digital world. We hope that this blog on types of Mass Communication helped you gained information about various media forms. If you’re planning to pursue courses in Mass Communication and don’t know where to begin with, book a session with our Leverage Edu experts and we’ll assist you in selecting an ideal course that aligns with your interests and can help you explore a lucrative career in the field of Media.