“For a writer, it’s a word. For a musician, it’s a note. For a filmmaker or an editor, it’s the frames. The one frame off. Or two frames added, or two frames less..it’s the difference between a sour note and a sweet note. It’s a difference between clunky clumsy crap and orgasmic rhythm” – Quentin Tarantino on Film Editing. Video and Film Editing is a crucial part of the filmmaking process as it binds the hard work and dedication of countless months into a seamless 2-3 hour film. An incredibly executed editing process comprises clarity, institution, and the vision of how the characters will portray their emotions and how it’s gonna connect with the audience. Here is an insightful blog that will walk you through various aspects of filmmaking and how editing is an essential part of the process as well as the list of top colleges offering quality Film Editing courses across the globe.
This Blog Includes:
- Film Editing Courses: Overview
- Subjects Covered
- Different Types of Film Editing Courses
- Top Universities Abroad Offering Film Editing Courses
- Film Editing Courses In India
- List of Film Editing Courses In Delhi NCR
- List of Film Editing Courses In Mumbai
- List of Film Editing Courses In Pune
- List of Film Editing Courses In Chennai
- List of Film Editing Courses In Hyderabad
- Video & Film Editing Courses- Online
- FAQs on Film Editting Courses
Film Editing Courses: Overview
The whole process of making a film from scratch entails a lot of passion in order to establish a connection with the audience through its creative expression of storytelling. This creative expression is film editing. This aspect of filmmaking covers the whole process of re-arrangement and modification of the film. Film and video editors manipulate images and videos with the purpose of entertainment or providing information to the audience. Editors take the video footage from the camera person and organise it into a final product. With Filmmaking evolving as a full-fledged career, there are ample career opportunities to explore in this field spanning across the sub-fields of Script Writing, Direction, Cinematography and Film Editing.
Amongst one of the most popularly chosen fields in Filmmaking, Film Editing is a lucrative career field that demands storytellers with an innate understanding camera techniques as well as editing software application. There is a wide range of Film Editing courses offered across the globe for those wanting to learn this subtle art of visual storytelling. These programs teach students about the skills required to become a Film Editor including an aesthetic sense of colour schemes and a curiosity to tell stories in the most compelling and exciting manner.
Film Editing as a career is a combination of personal creativity and technical skills. Studying Film Editing courses, you will get to learn about various software applications and concepts that are incremental to becoming a good editor. Below mentioned are the major concepts that are generally taught in Film Editing courses:
Principles of Editing
There are certain principles of Editing that every good film editor needs to keep in mind. Pursuing Film Editing courses, you will get to learn about a wide range of editing techniques such as contrast, parallelism, symbolism, and simultaneity, amongst others. Generally, these courses will incorporate screenings and discussions of renowned films to help students understand how film editing is carried out in different types of films and stories.
Ellipsis is one of the most basic and essential film editing devices. It concerns the omission of a section of the story that is either obvious enough for the audience or concealed for a narrative purpose. This technique is most commonly used to show mystery or suspension. Film editing courses provide students with an in-depth understanding of Ellipsis and its usage and how it can be implemented in different genres, be it thrillers or horror films.
Cuts and Actions
Cuts and actions are the two most important factors of editing that are utilized to structure a film. Film Editing courses provide students with various editing techniques for facilitating cuts, transitions, and actions. Parallel editing is one of the most important aspects of cuts and actions. Moreover, students get to learn about the techniques of alternating two or more scenes happening simultaneously in different locations or changing the shots and sequences and putting them together to build a coherent narrative.
Different Types of Film Editing Courses
There is a plethora of Film Editing courses provided across the globe for those passionate about this technical-cum-creative aspect of Filmmaking. Below we have mentioned some of the popular degrees, diplomas, and online courses in Film Editing that you can choose from:
- Bachelor of Arts in Film and Television Production
- Bachelor of Film and Television Technology
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Diploma in Film Editing
- Diploma in Visual Arts
- Diploma in Digital Video Editing
- Diploma in Animation and VFX
- Certificate course in Editing Technology
- Certificate Courses in Visual Effects Editing
- Certificate Courses in Colour Correction and Sound
Top Universities Abroad Offering Film Editing Courses
Several prestigious universities and colleges around the globe offer quality Film Editing courses. that provide students with the technical knowledge of Editing along with ample exposure into the industry with plentiful internship and curriculum projects. Here is a list of major universities and colleges that are renowned for their programs in Film Editing:
|QS World University Rankings 2022
|University for the Creative Arts
|Ravensbourne University London
|FAMU Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts
|University of South Wales
|London South Bank University
|College of Lake County
|Met Film School
|Watkins College of Art, Design, and Film
|Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
|Columbia College Hollywood
|Australian College of Information Technology
|The University of The Arts
|New York University
|ArtCenter College of Design
|University of California, Berkeley
|University of Central Florida
|City College of New York
|University of Southern California
Film Editing Courses In India
With the fast expansion of the IT and entertainment sectors, a plethora of opportunities in the field of Video & Film Editing have suddenly opened up for creative people who wish to work in the media and entertainment business. Today’s editors must have a professional mentality while still being creative and working on several projects. Having said that, India is not lagging behind in terms of offering top video and film editing courses to both domestic and foreign students. Here are some of the well-known institutes and courses available in India.
|Name of the Institute
|Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute
|Post Graduate Degree Programme in Cinema
|Film and Television Institute of India
|Post Graduate degree course in video editing
|Mumbai Digital Films Academy
|3 months to 1 year
|Video Editing Institute
|Various courses like diploma and certificate courses in audio and video editing
|6 months – 18 months
|Digital Academy The Film School
|Numerous courses like screenplay, film and video editing, screenplay writing, and sound recording.
List of Film Editing Courses In Delhi NCR
Here is a list of all the institutes providing video and film editing courses in Delhi and NCR:
- Frameboxx 2.0 Animation and Visual Effects– Expert Certificate in Photography and Video Editing
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan’s Film, TV and Animation Studies– Certificate in Computer Video Editing
- NRAI School of Mass Communication- NCVTE Digital Videography
- Center for Research in Art of Film and Television (CRAFT Rohini)– Diploma in Videography and Photography, PG Diploma in Videography and Photography
- R. K. Films and Media Academy– Diploma in Video Editing with Motion Graphics and VFX, Certificate in Voice Culture, Voice-Over, Dubbing and Free Commentary
- ZIMA, Zee Institute of Media Arts- Certificate in Autodesk Smoke
- Animation & Digital Media Education Center- Certificate in 3D Artist Essentials, Certificate in FCS Master, Visual Effects Master
List of Film Editing Courses In Mumbai
Here is a list of all the institutes providing video and film editing courses in Mumbai:
- WWI Virtual Academy– Online Certificate in Editing
- Brain Point Institute of Computer Education– Short Term Editing Courses
- Compufield Computer Institute– Diploma in Video Editing (Final Cut Pro) (Part Time), Diploma in Video Editing And Visual / Special Effects, Diploma in Multimedia and Digital Video Editing
- ZIMA- Zee Institute of Media Arts– Certificate in Autodesk Smoke
- School of Animation, Digital Asia– B.Sc. in Animation and Multimedia Technology
- NIDT Institute For Animation & Special FX– Certificate in Film and Video Editing, Diploma in Mas Fx Pro
List of Film Editing Courses In Pune
Here is a list of all the institutes providing video and film editing courses in Pune:
- Film and Television Institute of India- Post Graduate Certificate in Video Editing, Post Graduate Diploma in Editing
- Edit – Educators In Design and Internet Technology
- Reliance Education– Certificate in Audio and Video Editing
- WLC College India- B.A (Hons.) in Animation
- Antech Technology Institute- Certificate in Multimedia Animation Technology
List of Film Editing Courses In Chennai
Here is a list of all the institutes providing video and film editing courses in Chennai:
- MGR Government Film and Television Institute- BVA in Film Editing
- ICAT Design And Media College– M.Sc. in Multimedia
- Arena Animation- Certificate in Multimedia Design Program
- Saraswathi Institute of Animation– Post Graduate Diploma in Multimedia and Animation (PGDMM), Diploma in Multimedia
- SSi Computer Education– Certificate in Multimedia
List of Film Editing Courses In Hyderabad
Here is a list of all the institutes providing video and film editing courses in Hyderabad:
- Tapas Multimedia Institute- Certificate in Multimedia and Editing
- Picasso Animation College- Multimedia Master
- Arrow Animations and Web Technologies- Diploma In Advanced Multimedia
- IMAGE Institute of Multimedia Animation and Graphic Effects- Certificate in Digital Video Production
- ICE Balaji Telefilms – Institute of Creative Excellence- Certificate in Digital Sound
- FTIH, Film And Television Institute of Hyderabad- Diploma in Video Editing
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics- Compositing & Editing Plus
Video & Film Editing Courses- Online
Here are some amazing video/film editing courses that you can easily complete at your own pace in the comfort of your home (online) on trustable platforms that have been mentioned below:
|Fundamentals of Digital Image and Video Processing
|Create Training Videos with Powtoon
|Coursera Project Network
|Create Videos for Social Media using PicsArt
|VR and 360 Video Production
|Google AR & VR
|Image and Video Processing: From Mars to Hollywood with a Stop at the Hospital
|Photoshop CC Video Editing
|Adobe Video and Audio Production
|After Effects CC
|Premiere Pro Guru: Multi-Camera Video Editing
|The History of Film and Video Editing
|Foundations of Video: The Art of Editing
FAQs on Film Editting Courses
Most film and video editors have a bachelor’s degree in a film or broadcasting-related area, such as communications. Many institutions offer courses in filmmaking or video editing software. In these classes, you will study about cinema theory as well as undergo hands-on instruction.
Premiere Pro CC for Beginners: Video Editing in Premiere by Udemy.
The Complete Video Production Bootcamp by Udemy.
Learning Final Cut Pro X – Video Editing Mastery by Udemy.
PowerDirector 15 – Video Editing for P.C. Users by Udemy.
Paying close attention to the work of the editor in a film will help you create your own film editing style and method. Attend film school. Enrolling in a film school, university, or community college that offers degree programmes in film production is one of the finest methods to start your professional path as an editor.
A master’s degree typically costs between $7,600 and $26,000 each year (tuition and fees only). Attending a prestigious film school (such as one of these) can be prohibitively expensive, with some schools charging $40,000 or more per year. A non-traditional film school may charge $4,000 to $9,000 or more to learn film editing.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, film and video editors in the United States earn an average of $40 per hour. In reality, a video editor’s hourly pay might range from $20 to $40 per hour depending on the customer and the sort of work performed.
Thus, Film Editing is one of the most creative and highly rewarding career fields. We hope that this blog helped you understand the aspects of Film Editing courses as well as their variants offered around the world. If you’re looking to pursue Filmmaking or Editing courses, you can always get in touch our Leverage Edu experts will guide you in choosing the right combination of program and university with the help of our game-changing AI Course Finder to help you start a blockbuster career in Cinema.