The word “video jockey” reminds us of the 1990s where a handful of people like Nikhil Chinnapa and Ramona hosted music shows on MTV. A Video Jockey, abbreviated as VJ, has now become one of the most exciting career paths chosen by youngsters. With the advancement and the increasing influx of technology in almost every sector, the importance of these professionals is increasing every day. Evolved out of disc jockey, this profession aims at enhancing the reach of various art forms to the audience. Video jockeys work closely with other performing artists such as musicians, and disc jockeys to create a music playlist, digital design, animations, visual lighting, and screen panelings for live shows, concerts, festivals, opera or classical art performances, fashion shows, and art galleries. In this blog, we will cover the key elements, the skills needed, and the career prospects of a Video Jockey.
Career as a Video Jockey
A Video Jockey can work in a plethora of areas. When starting out, they can either start as a freelancer or as an Assistant to music artists, other video jockeys, recording artists, graphic designers, filmmakers, journalists, photographers, theatre artists or directors. The internet is an influential tool at the disposal of a Video Jockey. Thus, you can utilize this platform to showcase your projects while working as a freelancer. Those who are currently enrolled in graduation or postgraduation courses in the Arts field should work as interns or part-time Assistants under any of the abovementioned professionals to gain an insight into the sector. Working with event management companies, lighting experts, clubs, music recording venues, and festivals or concert organizers will not only help you in getting hands-on experience in this field but will also help you build and increase your professional.
A Video Jockey not only conducts live shows and concerts but is also responsible for creating online videos and content that keeps the audience engaged. Thus, a video jockey must have requisite skills in an array of areas like Video Editing, Photography, Animation, and Sound Mixing. Given below are some of the few important skills a Video Jockey must possess to excel in this field of Art.
- Video Editing & Mixing
- Advanced and Comprehensive Knowledge of Art, Music and Films
- Animation Skills
- Networking skills
- Designing Skills
- Lighting Design
- Interpersonal skills
Video Jockey (VJ) Courses
Having a professional qualification along with training will help you kick-start your career as a video jockey. Here are some of the popular course in this field-
- Diploma and Certificate course in Radio Jockey
- Diploma in Radio Management
- Certificate Course in Radio Production Programme
- Certificate Course in Announcing, Broadcasting, Comparing and Dubbing
- Post Graduate Diploma in Radio Programming and Management
- Certificate in Radio Jockey and Video Jockey
- BSc in Visual Communication
Apart from the above-mentioned courses, the below mentioned related courses will also provide you with the right start in the field-
- B.A. in Journalism
- M.A. in Media Communication and Management
- Master of Communication Studies
- M.A. in Mass Communication
- Diploma in Communication and Media Development
- Diploma in Fundamental and Audiovisual Education
- Course in TV Reporting, Presentation and Production
Video Jockeys hail from an array of disciplines. Thus, some of the courses involve certain requirements. However, entry-level courses like a Diploma or Certificate in this field are open to all. Let us go through some of the important pointers related to the eligibility criteria-
- Basic education of 10+2 from a recognized institution
- At least 45% marks in the class 12th examination
- A good score in English language proficiency like IELTS, TOEFL etc along with LOR and SOP if you wish to pursue these courses abroad
Top Institutes In India
Listed below are some of the popular institutes that offer various courses pursuing which you can become a video jockey-
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Delhi
- The Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad
- Asian Academy of Film & Television
- Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- Radio City School of Broadcasting, Mumbai
- Academy of Radio Management, New Delhi
- Amity School of Communications, New Delhi
- Wigan & Leigh College, New Delhi
- University of Delhi
- YMCA Centre for Mass Media
Also Read: Types of Mass Communication.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Video Jockey
To know what will be served on your plate as a Video Jockey, we listed below some of the important duties of them-
- Hosting programs including public gatherings, public events and music videos that are further telecasted on-air through television or social media.
- They are also asked to organise and host TV shows based on Travel, Games, Cooking and General Entertainment.
- They may even be asked to alter or recommend a suitable location or theme for the show.
- Apart from the above mentioned major responsibilities, they even handle hosting the roadshows, theme parties, etc.
Video Jockey Salary in India
The average salary of a video jockey usually varies as per the chosen employment sector. If you opt to begin the career as a freelancer, you may earn a decent stipend of INR 10,000-15,000.as you get associated with organizations or event planning companies, you may get to earn INR 25,000- 30,000 a month.
Berklee College of Music: An Honorable Mention
Considered as one of the most elite and historic Visual and Performing Art Schools of the world, the Berklee School of Music deserves a special mention. The school offers bachelor’s, master’s, and online courses in the fields of Performing Arts, Electronic Production, Music Management, Film Scoring, etc.
Needless to say, a bachelor’s or a postgraduate degree in the Visual or Performing Arts field goes a long way in solidifying your knowledge of this field. If you want to become a Video Jockey but don’t know where to begin, our Leverage Edu experts are just a call away to help you find a suitable course that can actualise your dream of building a blockbuster career in this fascinating field.