The main job of a Director is to make things happen. To do so, a Director needs to a variety of things. This quality of managing many things at the same time and get the best of the actors to portray on screen can only be achieved with a professional film direction course. If you have always had an eye for the visual arts and imagined yourself behind the camera every time you saw a good movie, then film direction is definitely your calling. But to have a niche above others what you need is a professional degree which enables you to understand and know the technicalities that go on behind the screen. A professional film direction course will arm you with the many skills needed to align your creative instincts with your career aspirations.
This Blog Includes:
“The Director is the only person who knows what the film is about”
What does a Film Director do?
A director has many duties and to pen them down precisely is an intricate job. However, we have made a list of the various duties a Director has. They are mentioned below.
- Visualise Screenplay: One of the most important jobs of a Director is to visualise the screenplay of the story he/she has in mind and bring it to life on screen.
- Choosing the Storyline: Choosing the right storyline is the most essential and elementary part of directing a film.
- Pre Production: After choosing the right storyline and the actors the Director has to work out the right angles of the camera and rehearse with the actors to make the acting look as natural as possible.
- Post Production: Another important role of a Director is to understand the basics of editing, sound design and incorporating special effects.
- Under the term Film Director falls a line up of subtypes of film directors such as documentaries, music videos, Television advertisements, teasers, video game stories, etc. A film direction course covers all the above-mentioned categories in the duration of pursuing the degree. In simpler words, Film Direction = Script+Acting+Set Design+Costume
- Creativity and Innovation
- Must possess a creative bend of mind and innovative ideas
- Knowledge of photography
- Should have a clear conception of photography
- An Eye for perfection
- Must look for detail and perfection
- Patience and concentration
- Should have immense patience and concentration
- Leadership Skill
- Must have the power to lead and guide others
- Team Working Skill
- Should be able to work in a team
Eligibility Criteria to Learn Film Direction
Film direction and film making is a professional course and requires certain skill and knowledge to be eligible for the course. They are mentioned below:
- Must have completed 10+2 education
- No restrictions on being from a particular stream. Can be a student of Science, Arts and Commerce.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Television, Theatre and Cinema
- For anyone pursuing Film Direction after their Bachelor’s, he/she must have a Master’s degree in T.V, Theatre and Cinema
Becoming a Film Director needs both practical and theoretical knowledge as well as an understanding of the field in detail. Therefore, a Film Direction course is needed to be done. Formal training towards becoming a Film Director begins at the graduate level itself. At the Bachelor’s level students can apply for a degree in Performing Arts or Acting, Cinema and Film.
Film Direction Course Curriculum
The curriculum of Film Direction courses is designed to provide comprehensive practical knowledge to aspirants. Therefore, you will find more internships, short film projects, portfolios and workshops in your syllabus. Here are some important topics covered in a Film Making course:
- Film Dimension and Packaging
- Processing and Printing
- Films for Motion Picture
- Motion Picture Cameras
- Shooting Format
- Various Camera Test
- Types of Film Cameras
- Types of Digital Filmmaking
- Special Cinematography
- Cinema Projection
Film Direction Institutions in India
- Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
- National School of Drama, New Delhi
- Asian Academy of Film and Television, Noida
- AJK Mass Communication Research Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
Colleges to Pursue a Film Direction Course
The art of Film Direction is not easy. It needs proper professional training and guidance. There are numerous film schools offering good film direction courses. To make it easy for you to choose from the best, we have made a table of one of the finest film schools in the world. Have a look :
|Name of University||Location|
|Los Angeles Film School||Los Angeles, United States of America|
|Kanbar Institute of Film & Television||New York, United States of America|
|California Institute of Arts||Hollywood, Los Angeles, United States of America|
|American Film Institute||Los Angeles, United States of America|
|Toronto Film School||Toronto, Canada|
|London Film School||London, United Kingdom|
|Academy of Performing Arts, Films & TV School||Prague, Czech Republic|
|Beijing Film Academy||Beijing, China|
|Australian Film Television and Radio School||Australia|
Listed below are the top 5 film schools in the world along with the courses they offer.
|Name of School||Course||Tuition Fees|
|American Film Institute||Master of Fine Arts||Rs 28,33,486|
|Los Angeles Film School||B.A in Film, B.A in Animation, B.A in Entertainment Business, B.A in Music Production||Rs. 22,35,157|
|University of Southern California||B.A, M.A, M.F.A, Critical Studies, PhD Programs in everything||Rs. 31,21,049|
|The Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague||MFA in Cinema and Digital Media||Rs. 40,25,402|
|The National Film and Television School||M.A in Film and T.V||Rs. 23,69,200|
Jobs After Film Direction Course
You are eligible for the post of many jobs after you complete your film direction course. Some of the jobs are listed below.
- Film Critic
- Film Archivist
The initial salary that a person gets after completing their film direction course and applies for any of the posts mentioned above, is liable to get a starting salary of Rs. 50,000 per month. The package increases as your experience grows.
If you aspire to become a film director or be associated in any way to the movies, the information shared in this blog will be helpful to you. For more admission or film direction course-related queries contact our experts at Leverage Edu. Sign up for a free session today!