Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly, so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.- Joseph Pulitzer. Reporting the latest happenings in the world as well as reaching out to the masses on prevalent issues, Mass Communication utilises different media technologies to fulfil its essential purpose of disseminating information. As the technological advancements have reinvented the varied types of mass communication, it has now become easier to disperse information across the globe. A career in mass communication is ideal for those interesting in the vast domain of media and curious towards its role in the modern society. Through this blog, let’s explore the key essentials of a Bachelor of Mass Communication, what you will get to study under this degree as well as top universities you can pursue it from!
This Blog Includes:
Bachelor of Mass Communication
Bachelor of Mass Communication is generally offered as a 3-year degree program. Though available in variants, the basic aim of the course is to provide in-depth knowledge of the different tools of Mass Media as well as its role in society. It usually encompasses the study of communication theories along with the basics of diverse aspects of media like journalism, broadcasting, public relations etc. Along with providing theoretical knowledge, the program also incorporates practical training to equip students with the technical comprehension of news reporting, broadcasting, filmmaking, amongst others.
Featuring amongst the major mass communication courses after 12th, there are some set requisites which one needs to fulfil to apply for this program. M
- Cleared 10+2 (senior secondary education)
- English language proficiency tests scores like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE etc
- LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
- SOP (Statement of Purpose) to apply for the program
Note: The aforementioned prerequisites are general. Students are advised to check the specific entry criteria on the official website.
Since Mass Communication is quite a vast domain, there is a multitude of courses available spread across its diverse specializations. If you want to gauge some of the different fields under the mass communication course, take a look at the following pointers:
- Broadcast Media: This specialisation of Bachelor of Mass Communication is concerned with the production of audio and video content via electronic mediums like TV, Radio, etc.
- Journalism: If you are fascinated towards getting into the core of the issues and are interested in news reporting, pursuing this specialisation through a bachelor’s can be your foremost step towards a journalism career.
- Marketing: Are you curious about the role of digital as well as offline media in promoting and advertising products and services? If yes, then you can make the best use of your skills and carve an exciting career in Digital Marketing by opting for this sub-field of Mass Communication.
- Public Relations: Maintaining a peaceful and cordial relationship of an organisation with the media and their target audience by the use of promotional messages, press releases, public appearances are the basic roles one needs to fulfil in Public Relations.
Related Read: Radio Jockey Course
Top Universities for Bachelor of Mass Communication Abroad
Almost every other elite institution around the globe offers Bachelor of Mass Communication and its specialised variants programs. But to attain the quality education and capture the best growth opportunities, it becomes necessary to thoroughly research the universities before opting for one. To help you in sorting the same, we have listed some of the top mass communication colleges–
- University of Amsterdam
- University of Southern California
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- Stanford University
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Nanyang University of Singapore
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of California, Berkley
Best Mass Communication Colleges in India
Here is an exclusive list of the best and top-rated colleges in India that offering students with popular mass communication courses.
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC)
- Indraprastha College for Women (IP College)
- A.J.K Mass Communication Research Centre, Jamia Milia Islamia University
- LSR Delhi University
- Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, BHU
- Department of Communication and Journalism, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication
- JIMS Delhi
- Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication
To cater students with the knowledge of mass media along with its technical aspects is what the syllabus of Bachelor of Mass Communication strives to deliver. It involves a perfect blend of both theoretical and practical training to impart them with the interdisciplinary understanding of this dynamic domain. Let us have a quick look at some of the essential topics in the coursework of Bachelor of Mass Communication.
|Advertising Concepts and
|State and Politics||Social History and
|Print Media and
|Radio Journalism and Program
|Computer Applications for
|Event Management: Principles
|Press Laws||Media Ethics||World Media Technology|
NOTE: The subjects mentioned above are for indicative purposes and can differ from one university to another.
Job Profiles & Salary
Once you successfully earn a degree in Mass Communication, a plethora of career prospects will come your way. While you can pursue entry-level positions in media profiles, you can also opt for an advanced degree like an MBA in Communication, Masters in Mass Communication, MA in Journalism etc. Let’s take a look at the prominent career profiles you can explore in the vast domain of mass communication along with their salary structure via PayScale:
A wide range of academic institutions across the globe provide bachelor of Mass Communication courses as well as their related variants. To professionally train the students in the domain of media, unique and innovative programs are on offer. Following are some of the prominent bachelor’s programs in Mass Communication and its different Specialisations.[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
|BA (Hons) Mass Communication||BA (Hons) Mass Communication with Advertising||Mass Communication
with Business BA (Hons)
|BS in Journalism and Mass Communication||Bachelor of Journalism||Bachelor of Media (Hons)
|Bachelor of Communication and Media (Journalism)||Bachelor of Arts in Communication- Journalism||Journalism BA Hons|
|Graduate Pathway in Mass Communications||BSc in Communication||BA (Hons) Media and Communications with Foundation|
Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC)
Indraprastha College for Women (IP College)
A.J.K Mass Communication Research Centre, Jamia Milia Islamia University
LSR Delhi University
Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, BHU
Department of Communication and Journalism, Pune
You can pursue a wide range range of Bachelor in mass communication courses such as
BA (Hons) Mass Communication
BA (Hons) Mass Communication with Advertising
BS in Journalism and Mass Communication
Bachelor of Journalism
Bachelor of Media (Hons)
Bachelor of Communication and Media (Journalism)
Bachelor of Arts in Communication- Journalism
Bachelors in Mass Communication is 3-year undergraduate degree offered in the field of journalism.
We hope that this blog has helped you in getting a firm knowledge about what Bachelors of Mass Communication entails as well as the career prospects you can explore. If you are aspiring to study this undergraduate program but don’t know which institution to opt for, reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu and we will guide in selecting a suitable university that can equip you with the necessary knowledge and exposure to build a rewarding career in the field of mass media.