Today, the relevance of effective communication has become extremely important. Communications has a wide range of careers, be it in the field of education, social service, business, governance, advertising, etc. Over a period of time, it has become a highly competitive field along with being one of the most popular careers. Thus, it becomes extremely important that you effectively communicate your thoughts and it is understandable by all people. In this article below, we will study about the best universities for media studies.
Check Out: Mass Communication Courses
This Blog Includes:
- Why Pursue Media Studies?
- Best Universities for Media Studies Abroad
- The University of Liverpool Introduces 6 New Media Studies Programmes
- Eligibility Criteria for Media Studies in Foreign Universities
- Best Universities for Media Studies in India
- Eligibility Criteria for Media Studies in India
- Admission Process
- Admission Process for Media Studies in Foreign Universities
- Career Scope
- Top Companies for Media Studies graduates
Why Pursue Media Studies?
Media and mass communication courses provide a variety of possibilities for the coming generation for those who are involved in the media industry and want to choose it as their profession. Not only does the course structure reinforce the intrinsic qualities of curiosity and imagination, but it also helps to build and improve skill sets unique to the field. With an array of best universities for media studies, here are some reasons why you should pursue this course –
- Varied career options
- Learn about Journalism and Media in the digital era
- Travel and adventure
- Exclusive opportunity to work in the ever-evolving world of media
Also Read: BA Journalism and Mass Communication
Best Universities for Media Studies Abroad
Want to pursue media studies abroad? Check out the best universities for Media Studies abroad:
- The University of Liverpool
- University of Amsterdam
- University of Southern California
- The London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of California, Berkeley
- Stanford University
- University of Texas at Austin
The University of Liverpool Introduces 6 New Media Studies Programmes
The University of Liverpool has recently introduced an array of unique programmes and specialisations in Media Studies. These Media Studies programmes are created with a quintessential focus on teaching the field of Communication and Media through different and increasingly relevant lens and account for the variety of influences on our daily communication from areas like Politics, International Relations, Gender, Class, Culture, Big Data, Technology, Economy and International Business. Here are these programmes offered by the University of Liverpool at the masters level:
- MA in Media, Culture and Everyday Life
- MSc in Data Science and Communication
- MA in Media, Data and Society
- MSc in Strategic Communication
- MA in Screen Studies
- MA in Media and Politics
Eligibility Criteria for Media Studies in Foreign Universities
The eligibility criteria in best universities for media studies is mentioned below-
- The minimum is 70 percent or higher in grade 10+2 with IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, and MELAB English proficiency test ratings. You will need to bring with you a few papers, a few of which are described below:
- Visa for Students
- Valid Passport
- Tenth and Twelfth Marksheets
- Purpose Statement or LOR (depending upon the University)
- English Proficiency Test Score sheet mark
- The percentage of admission eligibility can vary from country to country, and according to university guidelines. The necessary documents are basically normal in nature. For safe admissions, you need to bring these original documents with you.
Best Universities for Media Studies in India
Tabulated below are the best universities for media studies in India-
|IIMC – Indian Institute of Mass Communication||INR 72,000|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||INR 1,42,000|
|SIMC Pune||INR 7,97,000|
|UNIPUNE – Savitribai Phule Pune University||INR 10,990|
|UoH – University of Hyderabad||INR 55,850|
Eligibility Criteria for Media Studies in India
The eligibility criteria in the best universities for media studies are mentioned below-
- The applicant must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent (Diploma) test at a level of 10+2 or equivalent with at least 55% (relaxable for reserved candidate categories) of the marks.
- In any of the subjects at 10+2 or equivalent level, he/she shall not have any supplementary or compartment that has yet to be cleared at the time of admission to B.A. on Media Research.
- In addition to the eligibility requirements listed above the different colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria that students will have to meet in order to obtain admission.
- In the case of reserved category students, in order to benefit from the benefits available to them, they will have to display their reservation certificates issued by qualified authorities.
- Most admissions are provided by the Institute through the Common Entrance Test (CET) (like DU entrance test, MGM College entrance test). In order to be admitted to these institutes, candidates will have to qualify by obtaining minimum qualifying marks for the respective entrance exam.
For most of the universities and colleges across the country that offer B.A., the eligibility requirements listed above are general. Course in Media Studies for students.
The admission process in best universities for media studies is mentioned below-
- BA Admission to the Media Studies course includes a standard admission process based on the entrance test (as seen through different universities and colleges in the country) as well as a merit-based selection process (in a few selected institutes/colleges). For further clarity and ease of comprehension, please take a look at the points listed below.
- Most universities/colleges perform a standard entrance exam for admission to bachelor’s courses (such as DU) or take admissions through the criterion of merit-based selection.
- In order to gain admission to B.A., students must apply for the entrance exams (for which they should be able to appear). Course in Media Research.
- A merit list of finally eligible applicants is prepared after the conduct of the test and applicants are invited by the respective university or college for the counselling cum admission process.
- Final allocation of seats to the candidate takes place after the advice cum admission process and the applicant is requested to deposit the course fee and register for the respective academic year.
The method of admission will be more or less the same across all the colleges and universities offering B.A. Course in Media Research.
Must Read: Mass Communication Courses after 12th
Also Read: Journalism vs Mass Communication
Admission Process for Media Studies in Foreign Universities
Before applying, you can review the explicit conditions or criteria of the college or university. The admission process in journalism and communication for gaining admission abroad is discussed below:
- With the appropriate ranking, complete your higher secondary education.
- Appear by applying on their official websites for accessible university-accepted English Proficiency exams.
- Apply according to your ranking and university choices for universities abroad.
- Gather the necessary valid documents and apply for the ASAP student visa.
- Make the final payment of the course after migrating to the various nations for course study and proper document verification.
Media Studies is a highly popular and versatile field which includes a number of career subsets like radio, television, digital media, publishing, marketing, public relations, advertising, news reporting & film and documentary. Here are some job profiles that Media Studies graduates can go for:
- Digital Marketer
- Media Planner
- Media Researcher
- Public Relations Specialist
- Social Media Manager
- Television/film/video Producer
- Web Content Manager
- Advertising Executive
- Broadcast journalist
- Editorial Assistant
- Event Manager
- Film Director
- Video Editor
Top Companies for Media Studies graduates
After covering the best universities for media studies, let’s move onto the best companies for Media Studies:
- Hindustan Times
- Josh Talks
- Headlines Today
- India Today
- The Hindu
- The Times of India
- Star News
- Red FM
- Radio Mirchi,
- 95 FM
- GreyMatters Communications & Consulting
Media Studies is an excellent degree for students who wish to enter fields like advertising, public relations, radio, television, media, digital sphere etc
These are some of the job profiles for graduates in media studies:
Public Relations Specialist
Social Media Manager
Web Content Manager
Jamia, IIM, University of Hyderabad, SIMC Pune are some of the best universities in India for media studies.
To start a career in media, students can opt for a relevant degree like media studies to enhance their chances of employability in the diverse field.
Also Read: Scope of Marketing as a Career
Pursuing a career in best universities for media studies and journalism not only sets you apart from the crowd but also dramatically enhances your skill set in the field of the portrayal of your thoughts with storytelling. For more details connect with our experts at Leverage Edu. Sign up for a free session today.